Performance in the AYPY scenery?

kaboki

Just bought and installed the PNG scenery. But Im having some performance issues with it and wonder if it's just on my end or have others expirienced the same. I get excellent FPS around Port Moresby, but when I get closer to those small bush strips the performance drops and I get terrible FPS. Too me it doesn't make sense because one would think a higly detailed AYPY should be harder on the system than these small bush strips?

A small little offtopic question I might add, how do I avoid getting stuck in the mud:p?

I generally get excellent performance in this area, for example, a few minutes ago I averaged about 60 FPS at Jacksons International Airport, Isurava Helipad and Kagi Airstrip - all with quite heavy cloud cover. It does depend on what aircraft you are using as some do have a detrimental impact on FPS. My CPU and clock speed is similar to yours. I have a GTX970 and run at 3440 x 1440 resolution. My scenery settings are also set quite high within Prepar3D.

As for getting stuck - I have found this is usually due to the slope and the best remedy is to maintain momentum with plenty of power! Some aircraft just don't have sufficient power to operate on some of the strips.

Hmm, so it is on my end... I also get excellent performance at Jacksons Int and Kodoka, but in the area beetwen Kodoka and Jackson I get nasty FPS drops down to 10 FPS(seem to get these drops when I look in the direction of the small bush strips) and generally unstable framerates making the experience very stuttering:(.

About the stuck in the mud. I get serious problems with A2A planes even if I maintain momentum to get to the top, when I stop even on flat terrain my plane won't move again. It's really annoying and renders my favorite planes useless in this scenery. I know this isn't an Orbx issue but more an A2A issue, was just curios if there are any workarounds.

Here im stuck, running at full power...

stuck.jpg

Just bought and installed the PNG scenery. But Im having some performance issues with it and wonder if it's just on my end or have others expirienced the same. I get excellent FPS around Port Moresby, but when I get closer to those small bush strips the performance drops and I get terrible FPS. Too me it doesn't make sense because one would think a higly detailed AYPY should be harder on the system than these small bush strips?

Are you using prepar3d v2.5? I noticed heavy fps drops around kokoda since going from v2.4 to v2.5. Before everything was running smooth. For me installing v2.5 was a step backwards, I get microstutters and fps drops in several areas where everything was fine in 2.4. I think about going back to 2.4 for that reason.

Just did a short flight from kokoda in the A2A C182 and averaged 52 FPS with Prepar3d v2.5. I did have some performance issues when I first upgraded to v2.5 but these are sorted. I had to lower the settings I used for v2.4 a bit to overcome OOM errors after installing the latest patched version of Prepar3d.

My graphics setting are FXAA = OFF, MSAA = 8 samples, Anisotropic = 16, VSync = ON, Triple Buffering = ON, screen res = 3440 x 1440 and my scenery settings are level of detail = max, tessellation factor = ultra, mesh res = 5m, texture res = 15cm, scenery complexity = extremely dense, auto gen vegetation and building = dense, water detail = medium, reflection on for clouds and user vehicle and finally both special effects sliders set to HIGH.

I am not experiencing noticeably more micro stutters than I did with Prepar3d v2.4.

Are you using prepar3d v2.5? I noticed heavy fps drops around kokoda since going from v2.4 to v2.5. Before everything was running smooth. For me installing v2.5 was a step backwards, I get microstutters and fps drops in several areas where everything was fine in 2.4. I think about going back to 2.4 for that reason.

Sorry I should have mentioned Im running good old FSX:p. I never could get P3Dv2 up and running stutterfree so I gave up that project...

You need to have the latest A2A patch to solve the sticky ground rolling problem...

Hmm, I tought I had it, but I may need to check again and see if it's the latest, thanks..

Edit: downloaded the latest A2A updates, still stuck:(.

Turned autogen down a notch and now Im back into almost stable 30 FPS, guess this scenery is harder on performance than I tought. Anyway I love it, most intresting/challenging scenery made by Orbx so far and it isn't even a region:D. Hope Orbx will expand this scenery, I want more PNG:D

Welcome and thanks for taking part!

Running autogen on full-max will cause the animated parrots to appear in the dense 'jungle' FTXglobal ground tiles, I recall with the slider one notch down these appear only now and again

Also of note is the bushstrips elevation, with the nearby Mount Victoria standing at 4,038 metres (13,248 ft) most are at a high elevation so require a beefy engine and some fuel tuning,

I recall the default C172 was not very usuable while the default caravan was able to climb most slopes with ease so it depends a lot on the aircraft and also how it was designed

Yes we do plan on doing more in this region as its a special place for us, and I know Ken is very keen to continue, most likely another bush pack (4 or 6 high detail bush strips for a budget price), some early contenders are: 

- Fane (with its famous 12 to 15 degree sloped runway) http://www.billzilla.org/fane.jpg

- Ononge http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/103575313.jpg

- Woitape  https://goilala.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/woitape-from-hiri-moare-mountain.jpg

- Tapini http://www.pngecho.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2012-09-17-15.28.52.jpg

Next up for PNG however is the new 30m Holgermesh, which will bring much better defined bush strips and sharper ridges/cliffs.

With FSX, I have had no performance issues with any of the Jackson's/PNG scenery.  I will say, however, many of the strips, no matter what plane you are using, require some very judicious use of momentum and power to not get stuck on the slopes.  Some are extreme, like Timkenumo, where you have to keep some speed on landing just to be able to turn around without stopping.  If you stop, you aren't going again, and you might even tip over if you stop at an angle to the runway.  But at something like 800' long, it's a bit of a balancing act between carrying just enough speed and having too much.  Also I find the Aerosoft Twin Otter has some ground friction issues, making it unrealistically difficult to taxi in a satisfying way even on level pavement, let alone these PNG strips.  I haven't used A2A stuff, but I can see the possibility of other aircraft in the FSX environment having problems with this.    Yes, plus there's the effect of altitude, which robs your power, I think way too much but at least it is modeled.  All part of the fun...

Thanks guys and Tim, I guess my A2A planes won't be any use in this scenery, maybe the 182 will when I buy it:p. I have the Twotter so I will have plenty of challenges and fun ahead:D, but then there's the weather, getting clear skies seems to be rare:p, but I guess I can only blame god for that one, haha.

Tim, is it possible to disable the parrots? I love having extreme autogen and if it was possible to turn off the birds it would be nice, if not I can live with it I guess.

I love this scenery, but it made me realise I don't yet have the right aircraft to take advantage of it.  Really I want a turbo bush plane that can cope with the altitude and small strips, so I'm keeping an eye on the upcoming PC-6 over at Aerosoft.  I'm not minded to reinstall (into P3D) the default FSX Caravan as the turbo performance isn't the best, and the Twin Otter I do have is a bit too big for the smaller strips.

Challenging scenery indeed!

Edit: I've had no FPS problems, BTW.

I love this scenery, but it made me realise I don't yet have the right aircraft to take advantage of it.  Really I want a turbo bush plane that can cope with the altitude and small strips, so I'm keeping an eye on the upcoming PC-6 over at Aerosoft.  I'm not minded to reinstall (into P3D) the default FSX Caravan as the turbo performance isn't the best, and the Twin Otter I do have is a bit too big for the smaller strips.

Challenging scenery indeed!

Edit: I've had no FPS problems, BTW.

Jabble,  Have you looked at Tim Conrad's Pilatus Porter over at the avsim library?  You can also dl a Susi Air repaint for it, instead of the Air America scheme.  I've landed at a couple of short strips where the propeller reverse comes in handy.  Haven't tried all the dirt strips in PNG yet, however, but the Porter was made to land (and take off) at short grass strips.

Stew

Stew

Jabble,  Have you looked at Tim Conrad's Pilatus Porter over at the avsim library?

Indeed yes, I used to use it with FSX; I loved the model, but was aware the FSX turbo physics was not ideal, no fault of the developer.  I'm encouraged by this new one which should perform more realistically in P3D, so I just have to be patient.

Indeed yes, I used to use it with FSX; I loved the model, but was aware the FSX turbo physics was not ideal, no fault of the developer.  I'm encouraged by this new one which should perform more realistically in P3D, so I just have to be patient.

Ideal or not, I enjoy flying it anyway--ideal for bush flying/grass strip hopping where other craft dare not go.  And as you say, lots of folks are patiently waiting for Aerosoft's version.

The PC-6 would probably be great, I also use the Caranedo 206 quite a bit here.

I'm currently flying Carenado's 208 Grand Caravan throughout the general PNG region as well as Sumatra and Java over in Indonesia, but I wouldn't try flying into those short grass strips in PNG in the 208.  The PC-6 is perfect for them.

Stew

The 182 is a 6 cylinder, the 172 is a 4... That extra horsepower makes a big difference...

I know, that's why Im considering buying it expecially for this scenery:D, but not sure that little extra HP is gonna cut it:p. So far the Twin Otter works fine for me, had 3 engine fires, hundreds of go arounds and a few crashes into the mountains. This scenery is freaking awsome:D

BTW, does anyone know what planes bush pilots in PNG use for these small strips in real life?

BTW, does anyone know what planes bush pilots in PNG use for these small strips in real life?

Just going by youtube, the Porter seem to be one of the main workhorses of the area.

This vid is around Timika in West Papua (Indonesia), where the terrain is pretty similar to a PNG. I do remember, though, that people like the MAF were running Cessnas in the Wamena area in the '90s.

Just going by youtube, the Porter seem to be one of the main workhorses of the area.

This vid is around Timika in West Papua (Indonesia), where the terrain is pretty similar to a PNG. I do remember, though, that people like the MAF were running Cessnas in the Wamena area in the '90s.

This is the same guy, Matt, who was one of the featured pilots on "The Worst Place To Be a Pilot" series, and who Tim Harris is getting information from for some project Tim hinted at in another thread...maybe an Indonesian package, or some additional stuff he hinted at in a post in this thread.

Welcome and thanks for taking part!

Running autogen on full-max will cause the animated parrots to appear in the dense 'jungle' FTXglobal ground tiles, I recall with the slider one notch down these appear only now and again

Also of note is the bushstrips elevation, with the nearby Mount Victoria standing at 4,038 metres (13,248 ft) most are at a high elevation so require a beefy engine and some fuel tuning,

I recall the default C172 was not very usuable while the default caravan was able to climb most slopes with ease so it depends a lot on the aircraft and also how it was designed

Yes we do plan on doing more in this region as its a special place for us, and I know Ken is very keen to continue, most likely another bush pack (4 or 6 high detail bush strips for a budget price), some early contenders are: 

- Fane (with its famous 12 to 15 degree sloped runway) http://www.billzilla.org/fane.jpg

- Ononge http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/103575313.jpg

- Woitape  https://goilala.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/woitape-from-hiri-moare-mountain.jpg

- Tapini http://www.pngecho.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2012-09-17-15.28.52.jpg

Next up for PNG however is the new 30m Holgermesh, which will bring much better defined bush strips and sharper ridges/cliffs.

I certainly hope you guys can do a decent job with Nabire, Matt's home base.  The default version in FSX is pretty sparse, no buildings that I remember, at any rate.

C206 (to most strips) , Missionary, Charter

BN2 Islanders (to most strips) Sunbird Airlines

Twinotter (Kokoda - Efogi - Kagi, Manari, Milei) AirlinesPNG, Hevilift

Caravan (Kokoda) Tropicair

DC3 (Kokoda) RAAF/USAAF - wwii

Caribou (all) RAAF

Blackhawk (all) RAAF

All of of these have operated in the area at some point in time, there are more, but I gotta head out for a bit

Archived