PAHO Homer Airport -- First impressions

DesertPilot

Just tried out the new Orbx PAHO airport on P3Dv2.  And I must say, in addition to the great scenery, PAHO was obviously highly tuned to perform well in P3Dv2.  Very smooth performance, virtually no stuttering so far.  I'm very impressed.

I do have some legacy Orbx v1 airports (such as PAKT and others) installed in P3Dv2 (not supported by Orbx), and there is more stuttering with them.  I look forward to them eventually being upgraded to work well with P3Dv2.

Great job, Alex.

Now when's Kenai going to be ported?   

+1

I am planning to buy Homer because it looks really stunning, but it would help if I knew that other destination airports are ported 'soon' :)

Any indications possible for Kenai, Juneau, Ketchikan, Gustavus, Stewart and Bella Coola?

I agree. A very nice addition to SAK. Glad I only purchased 3 Australian Airports instead of 4 the other day so I had enough left over for Homer.

But has anybody else noticed that the picture on the installation package is of Monument Valley instead of Homer?

Noel

Thanks guys and very glad to hear a bout the performance!

+1

I am planning to buy Homer because it looks really stunning, but it would help if I knew that other destination airports are ported 'soon' :)

Any indications possible for Kenai, Juneau, Ketchikan, Gustavus, Stewart and Bella Coola?

I'm not sure, they're not on my list to port but I know they were assigned to a developer to work on.

I agree. A very nice addition to SAK. Glad I only purchased 3 Australian Airports instead of 4 the other day so I had enough left over for Homer.

But has anybody else noticed that the picture on the installation package is of Monument Valley instead of Homer?

Noel

Whoop, that must have been a last minute installer compile mixup. It was originally a P3Dv2 screenshot of the wireframe biplane with the terminal in the background.

Bravo for PAHO, I scoured the area and saw no visual glitches what so ever. Flys smooth too! I usually wait for some forum feedback before jumping on a purchase but was feeling compulsive this morning and so... Lots and lots of detaill at the AP itself as well as the marina area. Looks like fun for the floatplane guys and gals too. Highly recommended.

Whoop, that must have been a last minute installer compile mixup. It was originally a P3Dv2 screenshot of the wireframe biplane with the terminal in the background.

The installer picture is as you described, only the wrapper has the Monument Valley picture.

(yes, I just purchased and installed Homer :) )

Didn't forget, just delayed while the server was performing some maintenance tasks. Hopefully you received the email by now.

To late, bought it he he he..... NO Adrian, it was sent but on another computer with mail system open ::)

I am really impressed, not only it's a beautiful rendered airport and surrounding area, but also it is extremely frame rate friendly in P3Dv2.4.

Alex, you performed a small miracle, how did you achieve this? :)

Glad to hear performance is so consistently good! Much of it was luck, no other nearby airports, mostly water around, not a large area of photoreal. Beyond that just careful and efficient use of textures and polygons.

Excellent job Alex. Flying around this region of North America is one of my favorite areas in P3D. I use Air Hauler so it makes the flights quite a bit more interesting when hauling all kinds of various goods from one airport to the next. PAHO makes a perfect base of operations as it's situated near very remote towns ans villages that need deliveries. I'm with everyone else as well, this airport runs fantastic, not a single hit on the frame-rates, even when running Nvidia DSR at 4K. This area also has some serious weather this time of year, Active Sky rendered quite the storm several hours ago.

Thank you! :)

Archived