Why aren't Orbx textures HD for me?

Here are 2 examples, being Swanson (FTX NA Blue) and Aeropelican (FTX AU SP4):

http://i.imgur.com/zDGeMer.png

http://i.imgur.com/8qrCzLo.png

All my graphics settings are maxed, I've changed TextureMaxLoad to 4096 in my fsx.CFG which didn't make a difference, so I'm not sure what to do. I've tried running FTX central in admin mode, and there's no difference.

EDIT: Also, it seems that there are missing houses at Swanson airport: http://i.imgur.com/t4deAGC.png

You are using the default detail map. Run the FTX Aero app and select "Coarse" as the ground bump map and you'll see a definite improvement.

This is documented in the YPEC Aeropelican User Guide.

I would advise against setting TML to 4096 as that is not needed for any Orbx products.

Thanks for your responses;

Stewart - I have a 2GB GTX 669 which handles everything I use it for perfectly, such as Arma III, Star Citizen and others.

Alex - I have indeed installed the latest libraries (29th Dec 2014), and I had these installed prior to installing the PNW region and the Swanson airport, and installed the libraries after these installations as well.

John - I am using the concrete terrain bump map from REX4, but the problem seems to be with the actual texture resolution, which looks terrible, and I have no idea why as screenshots from Orbx and some Youtubers look much much better.

Thanks again for your replies, and I look forward to your responses.

Hi Matt, and welcome.

Ground issues:

Check your GPU card is set to 16 x anisotropic filtering, this helps with displaying photoreal further away from you (picture of Aeropelican)

Try the 'Coarse' FTX AERO ground detail, its great, works well on both grassy areas and tarmac, plus will fix that unsightly grid pattern (both airports)

Ensure you have set your FSX Texture slider to at least 15cm (both airports)

---

Missing houses at Swanson:

All that is missing is controlled by the Objectflow.dll, I note you have installed the latest Orbx libraries afterwards, can you also start up FTXcentral select [North America] and press apply, you should receive a prompt to allow the Objectflow module next time you start FSX

Just ran AERO and changed and after clicking Apply there is an information box pop-up saying that some texture files in FSX\scenery\world\texture.... , FSX\Texture\ ...... , have been changed since Aero was last run but the four choices text are too dark to read but was able to pick the one that I believe says "Do nothing ..." lower right hand corner box.  Anybody know exactly what the four choices say exactly so I can make an informed choice?

Thanks in advance.

Here are a few screencaps, with the any relevant screenshots from the Orbx website of what the airports should look like:

Note that my NZ South Island and NZMF Milford Sound addons seem to work flawlessly, and look just as good as the screenshots.

All my settings are maxed as well.

Also, you may notice that I am using the Twin Otter in all of these screenshots. I am aware that Twin Otters likely do not go to these airports, but I like to use it anyway for messing around! ;)

FTX AU SP4, YPEC Aeropelican

My version: http://i.imgur.com/zDGeMer.png

Orbx screenshot(s): https://www.fullterrain.com/assets/product/p38/9uOcgm_5.jpg

FTX AU SP4, YMLT Launceston

My version: http://imgur.com/M3JEXok(No Twin Otter!? What!?), http://i.imgur.com/u466oNP.png (Twin Otter has returned, that's better!)

Orbx screenshot(s): https://www.fullterrain.com/assets/product/f19/cnXI0K_ymlt.png ( Please note that this was the only size available due to it being the thumbnail of the YMLT airport in the freeware section, but hopefully you can still see that the ground textures are grass, whereas I have a mix of grass and sand.)

Here are some screenshots I found elsewhere: http://fsairport.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/project_main_image/airport_project/project_26117.jpghttp://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/03/31/xTmeV.jpg

FTX PNW, 2W3 Swanson

My version: http://i.imgur.com/8qrCzLo.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/t4deAGC.png

Orbx screenshot(s): https://www.fullterrain.com/assets/product/p92/UruDw5_product_2W3_top_image_201.jpghttps://www.fullterrain.com/assets/product/p92/CTF3PD_12.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I currently have installed:

Note that I have also placed my addons in order of installation (roughly, as I have installed Orbx libs a few times and I've probably reinstalled some addons once or twice).

All addons are fully updated.

FSX Steam Edition

Carenado Pilatus PC-12

Carenado AC114 Commander

Carenado V35B Bonanza

FTX Global

REX4 Texture Direct

FTX NZ South Island

FTX NZ NZMF Milford Sound Airport

FTX Queenstown Airport

A2A Simulations C182 Skylane

Carenado Piper Seneca V

Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended

FTX AU SP4

FTX AU YMML Melbourne Airport v2

FTX AU YPEC Aeropelican Airport

FTX AU YMLT Launceston Airport

FTX EU England

FTX EU EGTR Elstree Airfield

FTX EU EGTF Stapleford Airfield

FTX EU EGML Damyns Hall Aerodrome

FTX NA Blue USA-Canada Pacific Northwest

FTX NA 2W3 Swanson

Orbx Libraries FSX/P3Dv1 Version 141228 (29th December 2014)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC Specs

Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5GHz (OC'ing not possible as of present due to PSU issues. Hopefully sorted soon)

Asus Nvidia GTX 660 2GB

Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600MHz

Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H

Seagate Barracude 1TB @ 7200RPM

Quick Checklist

• I've ran SimConnect
  • I've tried running FTXCentral in administrator mode
  • I've tried flushing my scenery config
  • I've set TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 in fsx.CFG
  • I set FTXCentral to the specific region before installing the airport
  • I've tried running FTXConfigurator (in administrator mode as well)
  • I've put every slide to its maximum value in the FSX settings.

As one last thing, Tim Harris pointed out that I have missing houses at Swanson airport due to ObjectFlow.dll not working with FSX-SE, however the reason behind textures not displaying properly is still a mystery.

Please check my post above again

Hi Matt, and welcome.

Ground issues:

Check your GPU card is set to 16 x anisotropic filtering, this helps with displaying photoreal further away from you (picture of Aeropelican)

Try the 'Coarse' FTX AERO ground detail, its great, works well on both grassy areas and tarmac, plus will fix that unsightly grid pattern (both airports)

Ensure you have set your FSX Texture slider to at least 15cm (both airports)

---

Missing houses at Swanson:

All that is missing is controlled by the Objectflow.dll, I note you have installed the latest Orbx libraries afterwards, can you also start up FTXcentral select [North America] and press apply, you should receive a prompt to allow the Objectflow module next time you start FSX

Also note the missing grass, houses at Swanson are due to the Objectflow module not working in FSX-SE yet

•  
  • I've set TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 in fsx.CFG Set it to 1024, has no use if your system can't cope running at 3,5 GHz

• I've put every slide to its maximum value in the FSX settings. start with some lower settings and work your way up, additionally also check your graphic settings 

Also, not sure if it was mentioned yet, a crucial setting in FSX for scenery textures:

In the FSX Display Settings -> Scenery tab -> "Land detail textures" checkbox must be checked and on

From your screenshots, that's what looks like is going on at Aeropelican.

Tim - Thanks for moving and merging the topic; that's a much better solution.

Also, from your post, I have set FTX Aero to course, which looks very nice however doesn't fix the textures, I have set my texture slider to the highest setting (1cm I think, but I may be wrong), and I will also set my ani filtering to 16x in the Nvidia control panel shortly, however I am still clueless as to why my ground textures are terrible, aside from Phil's response which I will try shortly.

Wolter - I have only set both of these to the settings they are so that I could see whether they made a difference to my ground textures, which they sadly didn't.

Phil - Thanks for the tip, I will try that shortly.

Thanks all for your replies; your help and advice is much appreciated :)

Also, not sure if it was mentioned yet, a crucial setting in FSX for scenery textures:

In the FSX Display Settings -> Scenery tab -> "Land detail textures" checkbox must be checked and on

From your screenshots, that's what looks like is going on at Aeropelican.

No luck Phil :( I already had it checked.

I've done everything suggested, and my textures still don't look like the screenshots. Any more suggestions? :(

I can only think of a bad install.

Can you take a screenshot of the entire area from the bird's eye view (F12 by default)? High enough that it shows Aeropelican and the surrounding area. You can zoom in and out with the + and - keys just in case you weren't aware.

Please follow this checklist so we can get this sorted (click on any pictures to get a larger version):

• FSX-SE installed outside of the ...\Program Files\... directory, i.e. C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX.
  • Windows User Account Control (UAC) is disabled in accordance with this guide: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7
  • All product zip files are unzipped using a third-party utility such as WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc. instead of the default Windows zip utility.
  • All products are installed by right-clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.
  • Graphics Card Control Panel settings are not set artificially low for higher performance, see below screenshot:
  • post-3247-0-53233000-1420432487_thumb.pn
  • Ensure the zip file downloaded to install Aeropelican was named "OrbxFTXAUYPEC130.zip", as this is the FSX version.
  • Does your FTX Central looks like this below (minus any non-installed products that I have installed):
  • post-3247-0-83976500-1420434736_thumb.pn
  • What are the contents of the report file that lists all FTX Product installed that is located in FTX Central in the menu bar? (Tools -> Reports -> FTX Products Installed) Mine looks like this (beta product blocked to ensure it's innocence, you should not have a black bar in your list):
  • post-3247-0-62924200-1420434990_thumb.pn

I can only think of a bad install.

Can you take a screenshot of the entire area from the bird's eye view (F12 by default)? High enough that it shows Aeropelican and the surrounding area. You can zoom in and out with the + and - keys just in case you weren't aware.

Please follow this checklist so we can get this sorted (click on any pictures to get a larger version):

• FSX-SE installed outside of the ...\Program Files\... directory, i.e. C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX.
  • Windows User Account Control (UAC) is disabled in accordance with this guide: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7
  • All product zip files are unzipped using a third-party utility such as WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc. instead of the default Windows zip utility.
  • All products are installed by right-clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.
  • Graphics Card Control Panel settings are not set artificially low for higher performance, see below screenshot:
  • attachicon.gifNvidia CP.PNG
  • Ensure the zip file downloaded to install Aeropelican was named "OrbxFTXAUYPEC130.zip", as this is the FSX version.
  • Does your FTX Central looks like this below (minus any non-installed products that I have installed):
  • attachicon.gifFTX Central.PNG
  • What are the contents of the report file that lists all FTX Product installed that is located in FTX Central in the menu bar? (Tools -> Reports -> FTX Products Installed) Mine looks like this (beta product blocked to ensure it's innocence, you should not have a black bar in your list):
  • attachicon.gifFTX Products Installed.PNG

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/oQCYf

The main issues are with Swanson; the textures either side of the runway are very low res and don't match the rich grass textures (not talking about the actual grass objects here) in the Orbx screenshots. On the whole, my textures just look low res and a bit off when compared to the screenshots on the website, and when compared to videos I've seen on Youtube.

I've also included a picture of Melbourne, because the screenshot on the Orbx website has much richer colours and seemingly nicer textures. What do I need to do to my FSX in order to achieve this?

Now for the checklist:

• I installed FSX:SE to my default Steam directory within program files; I never realised this had any adverse effect; what issues does having FSX:SE installed in program files cause?
  • Check.
  • WinRAR- check.
  • Check.
  • Check - the slider is greyed out (like on your screenshot) and the slider is fully to the right.
  • Check.
  • Yes it does.
  • Here is the report:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 141228 28th DECEMBER 2014

FTX AU YMLT VERSION 2.5 (SP3) October2009

FTX AU YMML Melbourne International Airport Version 2.0 March 2014

FTX AU YPEC AEROPELICAN AIRPORT VERSION 1.3 - MARCH 2011

FTX AUSTRALIA SP4.003 - NOVEMBER 2013

FTX EU EGML DAMYN'S HALL AERODROME V1.20 - November 2014

FTX EU EGSG STAPLEFORD AIRFIELD V1.15 - November 2014

FTX EU EGTR ELSTREE AERODROME V1.10 - October 2014

FTX EU ENG England 1.30 - May 2014

FTX GLOBAL BASE PACK - Version 1.30 September 2014

FTX NA 2W3 SWANSON AIRPORT VERSION 1.20 AUG 2014

FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST V1.0 PATCH 008 February 2014

FTX NZ Milford Sound Airport Version 1.05 October 2014

FTX NZ NZQN QUEENSTOWN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.0 - September 2013

FTX NZ NZSI New Zealand South Island V1.3 PATCH 003 July 2014

FTX openLC Base Region Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX openLC Europe Region 1 (Baltics Demo) Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX openLC North America Region 1 Version 1.00 - September 2013

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all your help Phil :)

Most bizarre  :wacko: we'll get there though, everyone always does!

You all offer amazing support; thanks so much! :)

Like Tim's alluding to, it could be a permissions problem.

In Windows Vista, 7 and 8(.1), Microsoft introduced User Account Control (UAC) to keep users safe from themselves. UAC disallows programs that do not have administrator permission to modify any files (sometimes use files) inside of key directories such as C:\Windows\, C:\Users\YourUserName\, C:\Program Files\, etc.

Tim - There is no change :(

Phil - I've made sure my UAC settings are off as per Microsoft's guide; does this mean program files should no longer be affected by any restrictions?

If this is a permissions issue, would the only solution be to uninstall FSX:SE and reinstall it to a different folder outside program files?

I'd also like to ask whether permissions errors could be causing my issues at Damyns Hall. Here is what it looks like for me: http://i.imgur.com/10NvfxN.png

Do you have Vector installed by chance (in regards to the mesh problem at Damyn's Hall)?

Try running FSX SE as the administrator and see if that makes any difference. Either create a desktop shortcut through Steam and run that as the administrator or run FSX directly from the program directory as the administrator.

Here's another thought; are you running any sort of antivirus package other than Windows Defender or the Live Essentials Antivirus? If you are, make sure that the FSX directory is excluded from scanning. I actually exclude the entire Steam directory in my NOD32 Antivirus, including my Prepar3d directory and any and all addon directories.

You could uninstall FSX SE from Steam, create a new SteamLibrary directory in the Steam Preferences outside of the Program Files directory, then reinstall it there. You would then either have to do a complete reinstall of all of your addons or do a move-maneuver that could cause problems (copying and modifying files), which I'd prefer not to get into that mess and it could make the problem worse or create a new one if it fixes your original issues.

Do you have Vector installed by chance (in regards to the mesh problem at Damyn's Hall)?

Try running FSX SE as the administrator and see if that makes any difference. Either create a desktop shortcut through Steam and run that as the administrator or run FSX directly from the program directory as the administrator.

Here's another thought; are you running any sort of antivirus package other than Windows Defender or the Live Essentials Antivirus? If you are, make sure that the FSX directory is excluded from scanning. I actually exclude the entire Steam directory in my NOD32 Antivirus, including my Prepar3d directory and any and all addon directories.

You could uninstall FSX SE from Steam, create a new SteamLibrary directory in the Steam Preferences outside of the Program Files directory, then reinstall it there. You would then either have to do a complete reinstall of all of your addons or do a move-maneuver that could cause problems (copying and modifying files), which I'd prefer not to get into that mess and it could make the problem worse or create a new one if it fixes your original issues.

• I don't have Vector installed, so I'm not sure why I have the issue at Damyn's Hall

I'm running Norton 360 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware; I'll add exclusions to both now and try and reinstall

I'll also try running FSX in administrator mode.

If none of that works, I'll go ahead and do a reinstall of my FSX:SE and addons.

Thanks for your help :)

Roger that, let us know how you make out.

Got a lot of work over the next week, so I'll do a fresh install after that. Hopefully all will go ok this time :D

Damyn's Hall needs to be run with mesh set to 5 m as per the provided manual. Anything else will cause elevation issues

Kind regards

Ian

Thanks Ian, I'll try that soon :D

• 2 weeks later...

Please note your comparison screenshots are not taken from the same position. The Orbx website examples you used are at altitude from the runway, whereas yours are at ground level without a detail map working correctly. That will make a huge difference on the end result.

Archived