ORBX graphics card

OscarGrant

At the moment im still using my old GTX480 it has served me well over the past four or five years but come the new year if funds allow I will be looking at one of these I think, GALAX GeForce GTX 970 "Hall of Fame Edition" 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card.

seD29.jpg

cheers

Iain

FSX is basically dependent upon processor speed, so overclocking can be useful. Upgrading the graphics card will have only a minor effect on FSX frame rates; minor but significant. You may also see an increase image quality without seeing a reduction in frame rates.

Cheers,

Noel.

Buying an x70 card is generally money wasted. When nvidia release a new series they rebadge the old series so they can keep selling this chip set. E.g. a GTX770 is the same PCB and chip set as a GTX680. The only change is a new box and a mild overclock in order to get away with the hustle. The previous x80 series will usually be cheaper for literally the same hardware.

Buying x70s is a waste of money

Also be aware most "special edition" cards are just a sticker and mild over clock.

Another clever bit if marketing to relieve you of a further 100 bucks when there are dozens of free one click overclock apps out there.

Be aware of the hustle!

Nvidia GTX 700 series or above.

Agree Edward.

700 series and above see the best with nVidia inspector tweaks. 

At the moment im still using my old GTX480 it has served me well over the past four or five years but come the new year if funds allow I will be looking at one of these I think, GALAX GeForce GTX 970 "Hall of Fame Edition" 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card.

seD29.jpg

cheers

Iain

now that's a GPU Lain, :) LOL

History has shown that fsX works best with nVidia based cards, as for which one depends mostly on your available budget, but my advise would be get the biggest fastest running GPU available when you eventually upgrade to P3Dvx.x then you'll be prepared and don't need to splash out funds again, personally I'm eyeballing this one =>

GeForce GTX 980 Classified ACX 2.0

04G-P4-3988-KR_XL_4.jpg

8)

I use a GTX 780 and have no problems with either FSX or P3D. In fact it runs great on both.

The thing to remember is that FSX, by it's very nature, does not use much of the graphics card's power... So for the price you pay for higher end cards may not give you much of a boost. It helps a littler more if you run DX10 mode (with Steve's DX10 fixer), but DX9 mode is far more CPU dependent.

For P3D however, it really uses the graphics card so the better the card, the better the performance...

Buying an x70 card is generally money wasted. When nvidia release a new series they rebadge the old series so they can keep selling this chip set. E.g. a GTX770 is the same PCB and chip set as a GTX680. The only change is a new box and a mild overclock in order to get away with the hustle. The previous x80 series will usually be cheaper for literally the same hardware.

Not this time.

970 and 980 are both new maxwell architecture.

E.g. a GTX770 is the same PCB and chip set as a GTX680. The only change is a new box and a mild overclock in order to get away with the hustle. The previous x80 series will usually be cheaper for literally the same hardware.

The 770 was a re badged 680 but it was also a fair bit faster and a whole lot cheaper. Just as mentioned as well is that the 970 is a whole new card. The x70 Nvidia cards have been pretty awesome for the vast majority that has owned them.

@ Iain Emms - All the best for the New Year, with that card it looks like your screenies will be even better, if that were possible. Will you be shifting your screenshots towards the P3D platform or staying with FSX. 

seD29.jpg

cheers

Iain

Hi guys,

I have just spent $3000 AUD upgrading my rig. (See my specs) On FSX is am still only getting from 22-28 FPS (everything maxed out)  around ORBX Port Macquarie. I will be making the move to P3D. I have a new 1TB SSD to load P3d on and I will compare. I really thought FSX would run smoother though I haven't done any tweaking though.

A GPU upgrade usually needs a MOBO upgrade as well ?

Never known that to be the case... I've had times when a new GPU needed a more powerful power supply, even once when my new GPU was too long for my case and I needed a new case, but never a new mobo. The PCI express port should be the same on all of them.

Hi guys,

I have just spent $3000 AUD upgrading my rig. (See my specs) On FSX is am still only getting from 22-28 FPS (everything maxed out)  around ORBX Port Macquarie. I will be making the move to P3D. I have a new 1TB SSD to load P3d on and I will compare. I really thought FSX would run smoother though I haven't done any tweaking though.

"Maxed out" with only 3.0  and getting mid 20s is really all you should expect. Chasing FPS is really a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a GTX 780 and have no problems with either FSX or P3D. In fact it runs great on both.

The thing to remember is that FSX, by it's very nature, does not use much of the graphics card's power... So for the price you pay for higher end cards may not give you much of a boost. It helps a littler more if you run DX10 mode (with Steve's DX10 fixer), but DX9 mode is far more CPU dependent.

For P3D however, it really uses the graphics card so the better the card, the better the performance...

how many fps u get with that 780 in heavy orbx sceneries and airports with like pmdg and stuff?

Archived