Whats going on in your PC

mjrhealth

Are you even aware. Todays tech is getting scarier by the day. Though I enjoy my flightsimming sometimes I think things go to far. The other day i was looking up abu the Intel management engine. In a very basic run down. It is a harware interface in the Intel chipset that fas a direct connection to your intel Lan port, bypasse the operating sytem runs as long s you PSU is on, Supposedly designed to advanved IT purposes. What it basically does is allow any one with teh know how to acces your PC as long as teh PSU s on and PC is connected to the internet. the only way to stop it working is to use an external lan card, remove yourself from the internet or turn off the PSU itself. When does privacy mean something, that term has being cast aside.

Chers

From wilkapedia

Intel AMT features

Intel AMT includes hardware-based remote management, security, power-management, and remote-configuration features.[1][12] These features allow an IT technician to access an AMT featured PC remotely.[9]

Intel AMT relies on a hardware-based out-of-band (OOB) communication channel[1] that operates below the OS level, the channel is independent of the state of the OS (present, missing, corrupted, down). The communication channel is also independent of the PC's power state, the presence of a management agent, and the state of many hardware components (such as hard disk drives and memory).

Most AMT features are available OOB, regardless of PC power state.[1] Other features require the PC to be powered up (such as console redirection via serial over LAN (SOL), agent presence checking, and network traffic filtering).[1] Intel AMT has remote power-up capability.

Hardware-based features can be combined with scripting to automate maintenance and service.[1]

Essential stuff for managing PC workstation clusters etc and very useful when you can upgrade a PC overnight without anyone being there.

Now on the other hand, I don't wan't to worry you but how secure is your webcam? There could be someone watching you right at this very minute!

Sleep tight :D :D

Essential stuff for managing PC workstation clusters etc and very useful when you can upgrade a PC overnight without anyone being there.

Now on the other hand, I don't wan't to worry you but how secure is your webcam? There could be someone watching you right at this very minute!

Sleep tight :D :D

If someone was watching me I guarantee they may risk wanting to stab themselves in the eye due to the boredom.....So go ahead and watch  :lol:

Good grief, what an interesting thread. O0

I KNEW when I bought my first computer, a membrane based ZX Spectrum/Timex in 1982, and loaded up the first version of Microsoft Flight Simulator there would be a problem way, way in the future.

As I flew around in those early and very basic MSFS 'graphic' days I could never shake the feeling that if I lived to see 2014 'they' might eventually track me. As I flew around in 1982 I tried so hard to get to 340 knowing 'they' would be closer at that height than at AGL. Would they contact me then or wait till I was more grounded?

I even wondered if 'they' would contact me either through my PSU (which was a three pin plug in those days) or even the local LAN (I think that is where we got the special fried rice). I thought the OOB was the TV station and the OS was starring Judy Garland, but I was always a bad speller.

So thanks for confirming my paranoia, I can't write for too long in case 'they' track me. I called my computer Hal, just in case.

Best regards,

Roger (why is my MOBO blinking?.... oh no.....)

It's not April 1st by any chance?

Since reading this thread this morning I have now disconnected my Intel chip from my LAN port, I have also smashed my webcam lens with a screw driver, and as a precaution I have also installed tin foil on all my walls and ceilings to prevent radio waves from penetrating my Man Cave:

DSC00086.JPG

No one can spy on me now  :ph34r:

If you want to be "scared" by what / when / where / how people can access your computer ... then do the "Certified Ethical Hacker" course.  (If you're not sure what that is, then you'll find a good explanation and description on Wikipedia.)  After doing that course you'll unplug your LAN cables, pull out your power cables, and disconnect your network switches and modem ... in fact, you'll probably decide never to turn your computer on again.  I've done the course.  It's a real eye-opener. If they really want to get access to your computer, then they'll get access to your computer ... regardless of what security software you run or how careful and vigilant you think you are.

Are you even aware. Todays tech is getting scarier by the day. Though I enjoy my flightsimming sometimes I think things go to far. The other day i was looking up abu the Intel management engine. In a very basic run down. It is a harware interface in the Intel chipset that fas a direct connection to your intel Lan port, bypasse the operating sytem runs as long s you PSU is on, Supposedly designed to advanved IT purposes. What it basically does is allow any one with teh know how to acces your PC as long as teh PSU s on and PC is connected to the internet. the only way to stop it working is to use an external lan card, remove yourself from the internet or turn off the PSU itself. When does privacy mean something, that term has being cast aside.

Chers

Does this apply to AMD hardware as well? Lol :)

It would be funny if it wasnt s oserious, and no i dont worry about such things its teh way the world is and wont change. It just crazy how people go on about fire walls, and antivirus programmes when the simple fact is we dont know what our hardware is doing, I guess teh aussie gov had good reason to not want a chinese company providng network hardware>>

Regards

I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that people were able to post their concerns without being exposed to ridicule and being made to look foolish.

Not very friendly guys. We don't want to go the way of some of the other sites, do we?

Well my view is simple. Spying is a fact of life and it always have been for centuries. Reality is the large majority of people out there are not being spied on, reason being is your lives are too boring. If you give someone a reason to spy on you then they will.

Marketing is the one area where they are doing mass data collection about you so that you can be targeted with more consumer goods. This also happens in the Flight Sim community very much. When I Google Search something regarding Flight Sim then I got a lot of Ad's following that with Flight Sim related banners....etc. The Marketing Companues are using the Internet to learn my behaviour and targeting me with marketing accordingly. It doesn't bother me.

So back to Flight Sim related stuff for me as that is my hobby and enjoyment.  8)

I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that people were able to post their concerns without being exposed to ridicule and being made to look foolish.

Not very friendly guys. We don't want to go the way of some of the other sites, do we?

Good point Roger, sometimes humour can be misplaced and taken out of context. We are all from different backgrounds and cultures and what may seem funny to some can be hurtful to others. I have a Monty Python sense of humour and sometimes forget that subtle innuendoes may appear to be disrespectful to others.

Regards,

Roger

Guys, I am a security guy by trade and whilst I agree with what has been said by you all, I agree with Roger most of all. Since joining this site, I have found help and support in so many ways relating to the mysteries of both FSX and P3D. Don't let yourselves down.

Unfortunately as was pointed out we do live in a surveillance society, but one of the main avenues for this is the good ole interweb lol. I for one believe if people really want to watch me they better bring a good book(or kindle). I am not that interesting (my wife thinks I am, or at least that's what she says lol).

I agree that monitoring through various means is odd but nonetheless interesting but remember this if the OS layer is off then only the file systems can be enumerated and only if the PSU is on, if the power is off then the disks cant spin and also there is no paging file. So if you are really worried pull the plug out or network cable. From my perspective I run Intel chipsets on my Alienware and I use the Rapid Storage Drivers, the Management drivers are optional so uninstall them if you don't need them, I think many of the people on the forum will tell you if you don't need it, don't run it because unneeded  processes eat up your resources. We would rather our Sims do that lol.

Archived