New PC

John York

Nice,should blast through with any settings on FSX even better if you use P3D.

No, because the whole foundation of FSX and P3D is severly outdated. I have a similar system like that, built about 2 weeks ago and while FSX and P3D runs faster, it still doesn't qualify as "blast through with any settings". I don't want to sound negative, but that's just the way it is. It reminds me a lot of Photoshop where they pile code on top of code and reason why Photoshop continues to be rediculously slow in some areas.

Hi Gary - to answer your question, Chillblast make it up similarly to the service from Scan and Overclockers.

I'm not overly worried about the settings as long as I can get them past middle without the judders, shakes, hesitations etc.etc. that all take the edge off the enjoyment with my present machine.

I can't honestly say I've ever found the CS series of Photoshop slow.  However, now I'm no longer doing photography commercially, Elements 12 will suit me fine for the few holiday and days out pictures I produce now.

Setting it up will also keep me out of mischief for the winter I should think so my wife should think its a bargain! ;D

John

PS I Notice I didn't mention the case.  That's a really futuristic looking affair;

7Nzhe.jpg

Very nice indded John... that will see you a considerable increase over your current PC.

Now you have all that installing to look forward too ^-^

I'll have to pop-up and have a play... I'll bring a game and show you what that hardware can really do >:D

Yes, I can see the merit of that Gordon but came to the conclusion that the 500GB SSD comfortably gave sufficient space for my 'C' drive, the first 3TB disc could then be with the Flight Sim' on and the second 3TB disc would take all the scenery plus whatever else.

I don't think the 500 GB SSD would take the flight sim' including Orbx (presently 250GB used) and all the 'C' stuff (presently 120GB used).  Well, it would, but leave precious little for anything else. That's the trouble with these SSD's, they are so limited on space at the moment.  If they ever get one up in the TB range then it becomes a whole different ball game...well, flight sim'.

Thanks for the interest.

John

A minor suggestion - perhaps instead of the single 500Gb SSD you should have x2 250Gb SSDs.

One as your main C: boot drive, and the second as a dedicated flight sim drive?

I've got my ssd's set up like that and it works perfectly.

I currently use a 60gb SSD for my C: drive for Windows7 and use a 500gb SSD drive for a D: drive for FSX. then a 1000gb drive for storage

Reason being is 60g SSD drives are very cheap, under $100 and if they crap out they are easily replaced and it just has Windows on it.

I would recomend getting more then 500gb SSD for FSX as mine is getting nearly full now. 

Having 2 250gb SSD's is a bad idea as one 500gb is barely enough for FSX and all the addon's required (at least for me)

If I may make a small suggestion, dont waste your money on a GTX980. I seriously considered getting a 980 for myself, but all in all, you can get 50% better performance with 2x GTX970s for the same price. I plan on getting another one here soon. And what kind of case is that? Thats my next and last upgrade for the next few years, and I need a decent case. The Corsair Carbide 520 air was short in a few aspects that I needed.

'They do make a 4tb SSD for the very reasonable price of $29,000'

Andy, that sort of information is unnecessary and unsettling! ;D

How long have I got to live to save that sort of money?  It's ridiculous.  Besides,knowing my luck it would be one of the very few that would fail! ::)

John

PS - Thanks for the suggestion Utley but I'm pretty sure that the 980 will suit me fine and I suspect some upgrades will come along giving it even better performance.

PS - Thanks for the suggestion Utley but I'm pretty sure that the 980 will suit me fine and I suspect some upgrades will come along giving it even better performance.

Its a great upgrade, I wont deny it. Im just trying to save you a few bucks for a slightly marginal performance increase thats all. The 980 is only 10% faster than the 970 at double the cost.

Strangely, the place who are putting it all together for me are charging the same price!  Probably can't make up their minds what's best for their business.

With my experience with FSX even with DX10, there's no such thing as too much speed.....err.....just too much money! ;D

If you're getting the card for the same price, or simply want, and can afford the GTX980 then why not?... I know I would, even if its hard to justify the extra.

I do think, now you'll have the power to run it really well, that you should give try P3D... it will make far better use of that wonderful new hardware than FSX ever will >:D

Hm.  As far as I understand it Mark is that P3D is still very limited in what it will run.  I know it will be alright with Orbx but I don't think it will run any photo scenery so it would be no good to me for most of Europe and a lot of the United States.

Apart from that, there is the licensing question.   For whatever reasons, they have imposed conditions on the use of the product that I'm not sure I want to sign up to.

Besides, I like the effects of DX10 Steve's Fixer with FSX.

My new 2TB External Drive arrived just now.  That's such good service.  Ordered yesterday afternoon and deliverd at 10 o'clock this morning.  My existing one will have everything on except the scenery.  This one will have the scenery only.  Should cut the information transfer time to the new computer no end.

John

Hm.  As far as I understand it Mark is that P3D is still very limited in what it will run.  I know it will be alright with Orbx but I don't think it will run any photo scenery so it would be no good to me for most of Europe and a lot of the United States.

Apart from that, there is the licensing question.   For whatever reasons, they have imposed conditions on the use of the product that I'm not sure I want to sign up to.

Besides, I like the effects of DX10 Steve's Fixer with FSX.

I have had both FTX and all my photoscenery running fine in P3D... but some stuff, esp. those older UK add-ons based on FS9 data may have issues.

If ever you wanted to give it a try you do get an unconditional 30day money back guarantee, and you can run it along side FSX... If you wanted to try it, I would be happy to get it set-up for you... not that its a great deal different from FSX in terms of getting it up and running.

Ok Mark - thanks for that information and offer to set it up for me.  Obviously, I was out of date.

I'll get the new computer up and running with FSX and DX10 first, then have a look at P3D again.

John

I've been speaking to Tony.  He's adamant that P3D is the way to go.  What I didn't realise was that it will work completely independently from FSX so I'll not be even loading that!

It's ordered now and should be with me in 7-10 days.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not.  Certainly I feel a great deal of trepidation.  Don't know why.  Its only a question of pressing buttons until you hit on the right one....isn't it?!

John

I've been speaking to Tony.  He's adamant that P3D is the way to go.  What I didn't realise was that it will work completely independently from FSX so I'll not be even loading that!

It's ordered now and should be with me in 7-10 days.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not.  Certainly I feel a great deal of trepidation.  Don't know why.  Its only a question of pressing buttons until you hit on the right one....isn't it?!

John

You will not regret moving to P3D John. I no longer have FSX installed and don't miss it one bit. I'm sure you will be very happy with your new PC. Just remember not to press the big red self destruct button on the left. :)

I've got all my stuff backed up on external drives now.

This will probably sound a bit innocent and I don't suppose it can be this simple but when I get my new PC can I actually copy and paste it all back into the new one (one item at a time of course) and expect it to work?

Also, is anything special needed to get it to work in P3D?

Oh, and has anyone got any experience and tips for using Windows 8.1 Pro' 64x please?

John

This will probably sound a bit innocent and I don't suppose it can be this simple but when I get my new PC can I actually copy and paste it all back into 

Innocence is a virtue John :) but in that case not rewarded as copy and paste won't work.

For OrbX , you will have to get  converted sceneries with a dedicated installer. For other developpers  I don't know. For aircraft, some work OK but you have to reinstall them. Adding  a dummy fsx.exe in the P3D root directory usually does the trick . Some aircraft  are more tricky to export. Some P3Ders use a "migrator". I've not had the need so far for A2A birds and Sibwings An-2.

When you want to transport stuff into P3D anyway, take your time and ask around for any issues.

'I'm going through the decision making part of a new PC myself, what are you thoughts on Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 for Flight Simulation?  '

Well, I always believe yorkshireflyer; 'When in doubt get the newest' and that's what I'm doing.  Usually, the latest is better than the previous.  Its probably got faults but these will be rectified and the support is more than likely to last longer.

Yes, Dominique I thought as much!  Still, at least I'll have the detail loaded and with 'addons' its only a case of simply that, add them on.  Trouble is, there're so many of 'em'!  Presumably the system for P3D is similar to FSX?  Still, with the scenery I'm going to try as much as possible to get them all together in 'All-In-One' files perhaps separated only by Continent.  We'll see how that goes......err.

With the programs, I've got most, if not all of the exe's backed up, so I don't anticipate too much of a problem.

By the way Dominique, I have the whole of France in photo scenery.  Its good but the big problem is that the vast majority of the airports have been left as default.  Do you know of a source where the airports, if not developed, at least have been 'flattened' so the cliffs around them are less obvious?

Oh, and I wish I lived where you do!!! 

John

I don't fly much in France. Australia, PNG, the US West I do but not my home turf :)  ! So I am not very knowledgeable. Have  a look here http://www.francevfr.com/gamme_arg.htm and http://www.francevfr.com/gamme_adp.htm. Our French fellow simmers may know more.

Yep the Cannes/Nice area is a nice (pun not intended !) place to retire :)...

Thanks Dominique, I knew these sites but what I'm looking for is either freeware, or a bundle similar to that offered by UK2000 which provides all the airports to a region at a reasonable price for the lot.

Oh well, I don't suppose any of it will work with P3D anyway!

All the best.

John 

Hi John,

Much French freeware developer don't comunicate in English anyway. You can find some nice free airport links on Libertysim.net, a French forum in which I'm moderaror. Some of them are compliant with P3D2. Feel free to have a look and ask :)

Archived