Papua New Guinea - Not Use Global? cost$$

boleyd

The requirement for the Global package makes this a $131.00 package for me. I know the value of the Global landclass system. However, if I install PNG without it I assume I will get the old FSX landclass, perhaps better placed. Is it also that the autogen will not be as dense and thus the reality effect will be lost.

There is nothing stopping you from grabbing AYPY and using it with default FSX, just make sure to also use the freeware PNG Holgermesh recently released

However as it is a 'Global' airport and was designed entirely around FTXGlobal (because it adds Orbx ground textures and autogen for the entire globe) it may not look quite like the preview pictures, so as long as you're aware of that, go for it!

You can always grab FTXglobal at a later date, but I can tell you (biased of course as I am supplied with FTXGlobal for free being an Orbx Developer) that its a top investment if you like flying around the globe, I would never have made this PNG package in the first place if it were not for FTXGlobal

Cheers

Tim

Another way to look at it.

If you buy 2 region packs for the same price that's it, when you buy Global you get the whole world, and its then the basis for so many more add on's, Tim and I are doing global only packages, mainly in the Pacific region for now but wherever there is a fun place to fly that's what were trying to do. Also as you know the Orbx team is continually upgrading Global.

For me Global has allowed me to make airports anywhere in the world now, probably many other scenery developers feel the same way, so more and more airports will be using global as a base.

Just something to consider.

cheers

Ken

From what I've understood so far AYPY draws its textures from FTX Global. Do you mean that everything inside the airport's boundaries will look exactly the same without FTX Global, but there will just be a harsh transition from the airport to default FSX? Is that the only reason FTX Global is "required"?

The AYPY fields themselves look great in my FSX without FTX-G. With FTX Central set to 'Oceania' "People" are also "Flowing". I deactivated an AYPY bgl file from MyTraffic to get rid of a slight disruption caused by MT. AFAIK, if you have the PacSim PNG package installed, you have the correct mesh already. (Still have to check for compatibility between PIS and FTX, though.)

The AYPY fields do NOT blend at all with the surrounding default ground textures, but you are certainly aware of that.

(Guess I'll pick up FTX-G after a couple of cross-country trips there.)

Do you mean that everything inside the airport's boundaries will look exactly the same without FTX Global, but there will just be a harsh transition from the airport to default FSX?

1, yes, except the autogen will not show

2, and yes

The autogen system employes the FTXglobal system (which allows us a lot of variety), plus all the numerous landclass edits are done using FTXglobal textures as I edited around each and every airport within our package,

plus FTXglobal itself provides some quite substantial PNG LC edits:

SY9Xs.jpg

As I've said above and in other posts, without FTXglobal this would be a no-project for me, not interested in creating scenery for default FSX, its just a personal choice :)

Thanks for the info, that does make AYPY a more attractive choice if you don't have FTX Global. I hear you on having no motivation to create scenery for default FSX, but I'm wondering what would happen to those FTX Global airports if an FTX region was to be made for the area they're in.

Have I ever been stingy? ???8)

Not to the best of my knowledge, Tim.   a%20foot%20in%20mouth%20smiley.gif

I actually thought you might be right; FTX Global airports for where they're considering never making an FTX region.

Guess, you can look at it either way: coordinated projects.

I actually thought you might be right; FTX Global airports for where they're considering never making an FTX region.

Correct, though I would replace the word 'Never' with 'Not in the near future', we would love to cover the entire globe at the level of the region packs, there just isn't enough time in the day, or (experienced/qualified) manpower.. or customers

Correct, though I would replace the word 'Never' with 'Not in the near future', we would love to cover the entire globe at the level of the region packs, there just isn't enough time in the day, or (experienced/qualified) manpower.. or customers

That sounds good. Even if it takes decades, I would be happy if Orbx covered the entire globe with FTX regions.

Money talks, a lot, if sales of AYPY and the bush strips is crazy good, we'll consider doing a LOT more in PNG - practically anything would be on the table depending on the numbers, I love the place and I know Ken does too

Cheers

Tim

This Thread sparked my interest when I came across it yesterday.

I was last at Moresby Airport in about 1960 when I was 15. From recollection, there were TAA arrivals from Australia twice a week. Today, I tried to find on the internet photos of the terminal then but could not find any (if anyone can point me in the direction of any, I would appreciate it). My recollection of the inside of the terminal building is of a large room open at the apron end (half a century since then may have either dimmed or embellished my memory) where free tea and juice were available.

When I first saw this product on FSS, the red warning that I must have Global brought disappointment. I am a Regions man, not a Global one. I have all the Regions and all the airports in them but in the rest of the world, I use photoscenery, or other payware autogen scenery or FSX Default scenery.

It seems from this Thread that my hopes are not dashed after all and that I can buy FTX AYPY and install and use  it over my Default scenery and it will operate hand-in-hand with my Pac Isles Sim PNG product.

The posts above seem to be telling me:

* It can be used with FSX Default scenery as long as I use PNG Holgermesh (Tim Harris post #2) or have the mesh in Pac Isles Sim PNG (ollie4740 post #5).

* The airfields look good in FSX Default without FTX Global and they are used with FTX Central set to "Oceania" (ollie4740 post #5).

*Within their boundaries, the airfields look the same whether or not Global is installed but there will be a harsh transition at the boundaries if used with FSX Default (Tim Harris post #6) (I can live with that. I guess it is not unlike the lack of a smooth transition or mixing zone when I fly from MSE2 photoscenery into a FSX Default area).

I am assuming that it is a "given" that even though I have Default scenery, I install AYPY with FTX Central set to Oceania.

Am I correct in my understanding? Have I missed anything before I buy?

Am I correct in my understanding? Have I missed anything before I buy?

Absolutely spot on, though you're missing out on a lot without the FTXGlobal basepack, its like having a 'rough Orbx region' for the world, and I would strongly advise using the PNG-Holgermesh ;)

So with Tim being in a generous mood my bets are on the Solomons.

Norway - orbx have been working on it for some time!

Nope, nope ::)

East Timor? Whatever it is...count me in for all of them! Tim and Ken, the kind of things you and Ken have been talking about doing (using the FTX Global world slightly off the beaten track and in more remote regions of the world) in this thread is just amazing and what the community has been missing! I really hope they sell well too! Thank you! Loving this PNG scenery...Haven't flown anywhere else in days! Can't wait to see what it all looks like when Open LC Asia comes out...

The chances of an FTXregion for PNG are slim to none, though when OpenLC Asia is released you wont need a region-pack here 

Our next project is an entire country...... :ph34r:

I hope it is Indonesia, that would be awesome.

And the map in post #6 might be a hint...  8)

I hope it is Indonesia, that would be awesome.

And the map in post #6 might be a hint...  8)

That would seem like an awfully large project, all of Indonesia. I thought about Singapore but that would be a massive undertaking, just with the main airport there alone.

Yes Eric I would love that so much too...It would be truly awesome to see the volcano nation with places live Java, Sumatra, Sulawesi and, lets not forget the paradise island of Bali! ::) As much as I so wish that whole map would be done steadily with time, Tim did say that the next particular project is an entire country....and with Indonesia being the largest Island country in the world, and having the second longest coastline of any nation, I can't see it being done as one project. That's why I thought perhaps it could likely be something like East Timor, being one of the newest countries in the world (Second youngest?) and formerly part of Indonesia, was probably a more realistic size as well as on the map.

I mean, Bali would make a really great choice for an FTX project...its a short hop from Darwin...has a really nice approach, has lots of interest in being a top holiday destination but also has great natural landscape of beaches, rice paddies, rainforest, volcanic peak/s etc. :D

Vanuatu, as Ripcord queries, could be another plausible answer. Anyway, who knows...I'm sure the guys aren't going to give the game away just yet, but its a great game isn't it...With the whole of that map being jam packed with tropical island regions from the likes of Borneo to Vanuatu to Micronesia to the Solomon's to Fiji to...hmm I'd do well to stop there, this could be a game we all could enjoy for a hell of a long time to come...Who knows, with any luck, decent chunks of that map could end up being stamped on the Orbx map...Well, there's nothing wrong with dreaming, eh? Its dreaming that got this wonderful first AYPY scenery to us! I say, keep 'em coming please...

Singapore would be a dream come true...I'd buy it in an instant...It has so much going for it and would sell well I believe...Its has a perfect mix of everything a scenery could want... but, yes Rip, I also sadly think the world's best International airport for consecutive years running might be an undertaking too far ;). Singapore Changi competes with Hong Kong's Chep Lap Kok as Asia's busiest international hub but that could, of course, be left to another developer and the rest of the country, its iconic Cityscape and old colonial quarter, Chinatown, Little India, the Sentosa island luxury resort and cable cars linked to the main city, the natural side of the island with tropical forest, fields, beach resorts and... other runways, would make the perfect island nation scenery (I guess that'd even be a Full Fat region) stop-over point for flights between Europe and Oceania and vice versa...as in real life. Perfect for a breather for such long distances. However, I agree with you, as much as I'd love nothing more than the whole country of Singapore (even, Changi aside), that's probably not it. I reckon your guess of Vanuatu is probably closer to the mark...But who knows? Oh the suspense... ::)

I mean, Bali would make a really great choice for an FTX project...its a short hop from Darwin...has a really nice approach, has lots of interest in being a top holiday destination but also has great natural landscape of beaches, rice paddies, rainforest, volcanic peak/s etc. :D

Bali WADD has been done already as freeware. It is not ORBX quality, but not terrible... has custom buildings, etc.

And Tim says he is planning a whole country, so it could not possibly be all of Indonesia. That would be a massive undertaking.

@Vora...Nice one Voiker... :lol:...We've surely got him cornered now :D

@Rip...Thanks for the head's up on a freeware version of Bali...I had no idea. I'll try and check it out (Avsim library?) and it may make do for now if its got custom buildings...Thanks a lot for the tip :smile:. And yep, I think no-one's in any doubt that Indonesia's definitely not it, as a whole country is what's planned next and Indonesia is huge!

Any other guesses guys?

Following the exchange of posts between Tim Harris and me on 5 July (posts #21 and #22), I bought, installed and used AYPY.

I am glad I came across this Thread because until I did I thought that with me, a non-Global person, AYPY was a dead issue, no matter how much I was attracted to it.

Its performance with my Pac Isles Sim's PNG and FSDX Default scenery has been well beyond the expectations I had after reading this Thread and the comments of ollie4740 and Tim. It is a great product.

I toured around Moresby in the Default Airtrike and then flew a Carenado Cessna 182 to Kokoda and then an Aerosoft Twin Otter back to Moresby.

Perhaps, in terms of FSX etc, I am not sophisticated enough to have recognised the transition but I noticed no difference where the airport merges with the surrounding area.

There were only two things somewhat untoward which I experienced. One was that flying over Moresby airport in the AirTrike at low level, there seemed to be some trees growing out of a portion of apron/taxiway. The other was that when selecting a couple of the parking locations at Moresby in the Free Flight menu. I ended up in a car park on one occasion and  partly bisected by the side wall of a building on another occasion. These were small bikkies in the scheme of things, greatly outweighed by the positives of the product.

Buoyed by my AYPY experience/experiment, I am now wondering whether there are any Global freeware airports which may be compatible with FSX Default scenery . I will post a query about that on another part of the Forum.

I wonder how many flight simmers may have been deterred from buying the product because of a belief (in the absence of this Thread) that Global is a mandatory prerequisite to satisfactory performance of this product. Perhaps, there might be more sales by Orbx and FSS and additional satisfied Orbx users if the product blurb on FSS  was not as emphatic about Global being mandatory as the currect bold type "a copy of FTX: Global BASE must be installed prior to use.

I wonder how many flight simmers may have been deterred from buying the product because of a belief (in the absence of this Thread) that Global is a mandatory prerequisite to satisfactory performance of this product. Perhaps, there might be more sales by Orbx and FSS and additional satisfied Orbx users if the product blurb on FSS  was not as emphatic about Global being mandatory as the currect bold type "a copy of FTX: Global BASE must be installed prior to use.

Because quite simply I (and Orbx) dont make airports for default FSX, nor like to sell products that have missing vegetation, trees sticking out of APXs etc, and also because its difficult to provide support for a situation the product was not designed around, but if it works for you then thats fantastic!  :)

FTXglobal is listed as 'mandatory' because of reasons listed earlier, post #2 and #6

Cheers

Tim

Well mate, I will say this -- it worked OK for you and that is good. However, let me offer these two bits of 'speculation' on my part.

First, had the team done as you suggest and approached the market without the emphatic (clear) statement about FTX Global being a requirement, then you might have been a whole lot less impressed with some unidentified foliage cropping up on your apron/tarmac, and/or whatever other small blemishes that you might have uncovered. But since you were given fair warning, you decided the positives might well outweigh the risks so you took the plunge and you decided you were satisfied with the results.

Second, being a denizen of these forums for a year or two now, I would not hesitate to tell you that there are some rather tough customers here that are frankly a bit more demanding in terms of quality, when they do decide to part with their hard-earned paypal currency. Not all are going to take the try it and see approach that you did. They would find those irregularities and a few would even be just a bit hostile in pointing it out. Not going to demonize anybody or paint ourselves in a bad light, but probably a fairly large contingent among us would be rather less understanding and more vocal than you were in your review here. Basically, if I buy it, then I expect it to work right. Not sure that mentality is wrong, either.

ORBX has built up a certain reputation for quality, and I really cannot fault them for wanting to defend that. Just better and easier to set expectations correctly from the get-go.

Because quite simply I (and Orbx) dont make airports for default FSX, nor like to sell products that have missing vegetation, trees sticking out of APXs etc, and also because its difficult to provide support for a situation the product was not designed around, but if it works for you then thats fantastic!  :)

Tim summarized it far better in a tenth of the verbage. : )

Archived