Angle of Attack interview with JV

John Venema

Hello all,

Chris Palmer from Angle of Attack interviewed me in episode 15 of his blog here:

http://www.flyaoamedia.com/aviatorcast-podcast/aviatorcast-episode-15-hangar-talk-w-john-venema-founder-of-orbx-scenery-simulation-environment-industry-leader/

It's a fairly long interview covering a bunch of topics including future trends, so grab a cuppa and have a listen :)

Excellent Interview.

I enjoyed it all of it, and provided awesome insights about your vision and how the Orbx Team operates including the mutual relationship with P3D Teams.

This was most intriguing part of the interview -- "That is something that I want to achieve. There’s technologies out there that we’re going to explore about how to move to that level because my demographic that I believe follow Orbx passionately are people who are explorers who love the atmosphere of the airport, of landing and walking around and soaking it in. What if we can take that to the next level? So you land in the sim. You get out of the aircraft and then you experience a whole different thing"  --

That reminded me of the good ole Sierra Online Adventure Games like King Quest, Police Quest, Conquest of Longbow, Leisure Suit Larry (remember him) etc.  The adventure in those games really took you different world where you could interact with all the characters (limited in fashion, but it was still magic for a kid) back in their golden days (80s-90s), as they were the Orbx of PC Games in my opinion. 

I too wondered if the adventure could be enabled inside Orbx Enviornments, and from what I can tell, it is super fascinating to see you are trying to create some sort of exploration component to the sim.  This would be mega epic.  And with P3D 2.2+ kicking off, I look forward to seeing all the cool things you all develop....waiting for Squamish.

Thanks

Nice.

If Flight1 weren't such p*gheads about P3D I'd have moved by now - but I just like their KingAir too much.

One proposal after reading your long-term explorer vision: how about ORBX create/host a series of missions which take pilots to points of interest in the regions, create a little narrative to accommodate the flying? That could be done today.

One proposal after reading your long-term explorer vision: how about ORBX create/host a series of missions which take pilots to points of interest in the regions, create a little narrative to accommodate the flying? That could be done today.

Absolutely. And it could be done by members of this community. Content like you describe would not have to come from ORBX to be good.

I have started building a couple of missions for FTX region but like all my little FSX projects, I just need to finish them.

Absolutely. And it could be done by members of this community. Content like you describe would not have to come from ORBX to be good.

I have started building a couple of missions for FTX region but like all my little FSX projects, I just need to finish them.

The one problem I have with missions is that they prescribe which aircraft to use (at least the ones I've seen) - having invested lots of $$$ in lots of very nice addon planes, any of the standard ones simply wouldn't cut it. Is there a way around this, so that a mission just says in the description "you need a plane that can get in and out of X feet of runway and carry a load of Y", and the airplane is up to you?

Might be best to start a fresh thread if you are interested in this topic, but yes, each mission has to specify the aircraft and it's parameters. But you could build missions for popular addon aircraft, or even multiple aircraft.

I'm really one to listen to podcasts but this was an excellent interview and it's good to hear John's vision for the future. From what I've heard I am sure it is safe to assume that the future of our hobby is in great hands!

Simon.

ps Are you really moving over to good ol' Blighty then?

I'd just like to forewarn you that if you hear our weather forecasters talking about a barbecue summer better make sure you have an umbrella and some wellies handy!

Really enjoyed listening to that interview John. I am, amongst many others of course are a massive Orbx supporter and anything you and your team do, I never doubt at all that you will bring us another unique and amazing product. A seal of trust and loyalty.

A suggestion in regards to your interview and where you take time to explain each product/project in detail. Would it be a great idea to take snips of these and apply it to the product page, or any other area where the particular product is in the forum etc?.... for example; a minority of people had a hard time understanding what FTX Global and associated products do. Where, when you talk about it in the interview, it explains it in a nut shell. :)

I still have nagging doubts about p3d being the future. I'd be quite nervous about basing my business around a product where potentially 90% of its non-professional user base are using it in defiance of its terms of licence... unless all those blue chips are buying orbx sceneries

Still, enjoyed learning about the backstory of orbx and I now know what's in the name!

Hello all,

Chris Palmer from Angle of Attack interviewed me in episode 15 of his blog here:

http://www.flyaoamedia.com/aviatorcast-podcast/aviatorcast-episode-15-hangar-talk-w-john-venema-founder-of-orbx-scenery-simulation-environment-industry-leader/

It's a fairly long interview covering a bunch of topics including future trends, so grab a cuppa and have a listen :)

JV,

Very encouraging information, especially about the vision for those users who wish to, as you stated, "explore" the Orbx environment in a deeper manner.  One thought, if this vision comes to fruition, you could call it    ftXplorer

Archived