CH Products - Sitcky & wide No Tension Area?

boleyd

I have a CH Products yoke  that says CH Products, Flight Sim Yoke on the yoke. Three variable levers. Hat switch on right arm of the yoke. It is probably 3 years old.

There is a lack of tension in and around the center travel area. Also, the yoke action in and out is a bit rough. Used greases and WD-40 but I suspect the plastic surfaces are worn. There is some play in the left/right and up/down movement as well.

So, my question is - if I buy another CH yoke will I get the same quality or have improvements been made? My flying is VFR/ORBX and Active Sky Next weather so the yoke gets a lot of use.

I have the same issue with my Saitek Yoke. Indeed, there is no tension whatsoever. 

It really sucks that nobody has an affordable yoke that's really more comparable to that of a real plane. I'll be flying in the Skymaster with my dad and the yokes in there are actually stiff - You can't lightly roll it to the side like any yokes for Flightsim.

I'll bet we'll have to wait a few years to start seeing advances in home flightsim yokes. Or maybe not. It's been six or so years and we still haven't gotten anything that new.

These yokes are currently in development and look fantastic, also very good value considering the included technology when compared to current high-end yokes such as PFC.

http://irisdynamics.com/index.php/force-feedback-yoke-pre-order

see their forums for development updates

I'm waiting to see the final finished molded yoke and combination of buttons / switches before placing my order

You can't expect a $140 plastic toy to feel like a real Cessna yoke. There are a few really high quality yokes available, but they cost at least $600 and up, much more if you want Force Feedback.

The Saitek yokes have a more defined center detent, both in roll and pitch. I also find it slightly smoother and less "grippy" than the CH yoke I was using before. Considering the price, I'm very happy with it, but it's still a toy, not a piece of professional training equipment.

About CH Products Yoke Modification look at the small video below

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXNaKxtUNMg

I did it with my CH-Yoke and it works pretty good without the ugly noise of the steel-springs.

Definitely don't use WD40 on plastic but I bought a Saitek yoke and returned it because it had too much tension for me. Went with a new CH yoke for $95 from Amazon and although not as good a quality I am more comfortable with the tension. When the aircraft is level and trimmed I can use fingertip control to fly with.

Have two CH Product Yokes & pedals, been using for many, many years and for the price - good enough for a $40 flight simulator in my opinion. I use Prestone Silicone Lubricant yearly. I'm a big fan of WD40, even used it on jet engine compressors to prevent corrosion saltwater operations. But it's a no-no on plastic. Good luck!

CH yoke, pedals and joystick. I'm on my second yoke because I DIYed it to death! The screws would no longer keep the poor bugger together! ::)  However, what I learned on the first one(elastic bands just didn't feel right from an 'engineering' point of view) made the second one's life tolerable. All I've done to it is to replace the overly strong springs with a couple of same length, narrower diameter ones. Perfect! :) I  the elastic band

For lubrication I use Pace elastomer suspension grease, (from old mountain biking days) nice and slippy and good to plastic.

I have been using CH products for 13 or 14 years now and I am on my second yoke (CH Eclipse). It has actually made the rudder pedals redundant as there are paddles on the yoke that I use as rudder pedals. I ditched the springs many years ago in favour of the rubber bands and I also use Graphite or Silicon powder as a lubricant.

My CH yoke is making rubbing noises when using the elevator and friction is noticeable. Time for a change. Is the CH Eclipse sufficiently different to justify its price? I assume the mechanism is the same as the standard CH yoke.

Disassemble and completely clean the Yoke , No SOLVENTS at all just a good Kitchen Detergent, and re assemble with Dry Wax or Electronic Wax Lube only. 

One of the reasons I don't like CH Products actually as they are Plastic and plastic gets grooves and so on worn in it ans then you have problems.
One of the best systems I have seen was a modded Saitek yoke with 2 Pneumatic cylinder's and a halyard running round pulley's beautiful and smooth  Air pressure balances the hydraulic drag between cylinder's  the yoke was fluid movement that stayed where you put is but had FFB because of the inclusion of an old recycled Race wheel.
The way the Yoke should have been made in the first place as a Deluxe version. 

Been using CH yoke and pedals for over 8 years without any troubles.

My only gripe is that the yoke has inadequate clamps to fit to the desk properly.

I always laugh to myself as to why something would be sold by CH Products with such a poor design to hold it to the desk :lol:.

I can say without a doubt that a PFC yoke is probably the best flightsim hardware purchase I've ever made, with the possible exception of TrackIR.  They're clearly not in everyone's budget, but if you're ever able to save up for one, it'll transform your flightsim experience more than you could possibly imagine.

-stefan

I can say without a doubt that a PFC yoke is probably the best flightsim hardware purchase I've ever made

Indeed they look outstanding. I imagine they work great too. But the Cessna yoke lists at $2100. I'd expect extremely good quality AND force feedback for that kind of money. $500-$700 I could justify, maybe, but $2100? That price is excessive. Maybe I am missing something. I have no problem paying for quality.

I own 3 other CH products, but have not yet invested in the yoke. Soon enough...

Indeed they look outstanding. I imagine they work great too. But the Cessna yoke lists at $2100. I'd expect extremely good quality AND force feedback for that kind of money. $500-$700 I could justify, maybe, but $2100? That price is excessive. Maybe I am missing something. I have no problem paying for quality.

I own 3 other CH products, but have not yet invested in the yoke. Soon enough...

Don't get that yoke - that's ridiculous.  Get this or one of the comparable ones:

https://www.flypfc.com/?/products/yokes/cirrus-saab-yoke/

Most of their yokes are in the $500-$1000 range.  I'm not sure where you saw their yoke for $2100.

-stefan

Edit: Oh, that's the one that is a *real* cessna yoke.  Yeah, you don't need that.  Any of the other yokes are just as good, they're just not literally interchangeable with the yoke from a 172 or whatever.

Archived