Looking to Fly a Complex Addon in Orbx

Kilstorm

Complex Addon Poll  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What would you consider to be the best complex a/c for FSX/DX10 offering immersion and best frames (low memory usage)

• Dash 8 Q-400
    • 737-800/900 NGX
    • 777-200LR/F
    • Airbus X Extended A320/321

I have all of the four mentioned planes (well - the CS 777, not the PMDG version) and have no issues with any of them. The choice of your planes, however, makes a comparison a bit difficult, in respect to the routes you would like to fly. Crossing the Pacific with the Dash might be a bit of a challenge - whereas a 777 on a short hop could be a bit of an overkill ;)

I'd still go for the Dash first. That will make for an interesting learing curve while at the same time providing a fine range of routes and airports to fly. And then I guess you'll just have to get the others one after another, bit by bit... :D

Cheers

Mallard

Hi Kilstorm, I know this might not fit in with your selection of planes above, but I've just downloaded the C47/DC3 from Sim-outhouse and have not stopped flying it! It's an absolute creative marvel! It's freeware, but don't let that put you off, as IMO it's actually better, by far, than some payware aircraft. The standard of workmanship has to be seen to be appreciated. There are some stunning repaints too, including Buffalo airways (there are two and one is better than the other) which is great for flying around SAK etc. There's a replacement sound pack too. All in all, if you want a really interesting old plane to enjoy, then I'd thoroughly recommend you join the forum, read some of the posts and download this girl, you won't be disappointed.

BTW, there's also an HD VC that is being worked on and it shouldn't be long before it's released. Oh yes, and it's brilliant on frames!

Looking for advice of which plane would work the best to offer a immersive flight of a bigger plane without the worry of getting OOM if I turn down the weather and auto-gen settings.

I would say the Majestic Q400 is the way to go, at least to start with...

Its am amazing simulation in its own right and get 99.9% of the aircraft and systems spot on, and as a real world dash driver I can testify to its accuracy.

Better yet, because Majestic opted to make all the calculations outside of flight sim then simply feed the results into the sim for display, the performance is astounding... I get better FPS than the default C-172 in a larger, FAR more complex machine! If your getting the performance you want in light aircraft, the Q400 should pose no problems.

Better yet, as a turboprop, and as per its own design, the Q400 can takeoff and land at some fairly small strips... So you get the option of exploring even more airports than you would with a larger jet... I've yet to see a 737 fly the RNP approach into Wenatchee ;)

Of course, this recommendation is a little biased, but that's my 50 cents :)

I would say the Majestic Q400 is the way to go, at least to start with...

Its am amazing simulation in its own right and get 99.9% of the aircraft and systems spot on, and as a real world dash driver I can testify to its accuracy.

Agreed...

Of those choices, the Q400 definitely is frame-friendly and looks great- but with FSX DX10 you shouldn't get OOMs with any of them- with DX9 maybe you would, but I doubt it since NCA plus FB SFO seems easier on my system (and based on your signature, your CPU is far ahead of mine) than say PNW plus FSDT CYVR (not to mention Van+ V3) or heaven forbid standard PNW KSEA (where I can BTW run the Q400 with appropriate settings). The Q400 FDE is entirely external to FSX so it effectively increases the amount of memory available.  IRT 737NG, I run the iFly and have never had an OOM with it in DX9 or DX10. I have heard of numerous reports of OOMs at CYVR on FSDT's support forum, but those were all PMDG NGXs. The iFly, like the PMDG, is much harder on frames than the Q400, though. The only thing I don't like about the Q400 is the lack of a Spot view- it only has Locked Spot- which hampers video making- and it has some idiosyncrasies with GSX.

One for which I don't find much in terms of reviews or even detailed user posts  is the Milviz 737. And their support forum seems to be for users only (fair enough but no way to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the aircraft). Does any of you have it ? What about the A/P ? 

I've the QW Bae/Avro line. I've only flown the newer 146 line so far and the AP behaviour seems a little quirky but it could my inexperience (I will try the older Avro to see).

EDIT : BTW can you really compare a turboprop and a jet, the latter has a heavier feeling and is less reactive (not to say slower too). It is another type of flying altogether, isn't it ?

I've just purchased the Dash 8 and it scares me silly.

I seems quite a steep learning curve as I'm usually a 'Jump in and Pull up' kind of VFR flyer.

I've tried PMDG at a friend's house but I'm not going to attempt PMDG or CS or iFly or any of the other big-boys until I'm used to the Dash.

That's the next 4 years spoken for then...

Best of luck.

ps: I think the Dash is so good on frame rates because the flight model is run as an external program - makes sense.

Thanks guys for the input so far. Looks like a great case for the Dash 8.  I know Angle of Attack AoA does training videos for the 737, is there any training videos for the Dash 8?

Search Google for 'froogle dash 8' - He's done a few tutorial videos.

Dash 8 for the widest range of field applications - although its is not a short-field aircraft by any strecth, but compered to the other selections, you can do a lot more flying into and out of, rather than just fly over 6 miles up.

Really enjoy reading the reply's here, interesting.

I voted for the PMDG 777, I will get back to that.

The Q400 for Orbx is perfect and that is imo your best bet. For all the reasons above. The only think is it's FMC is a bit...well "different". The Boeing FMC is far more complex but far easier to use, more logical.

For Orbx and your first step up from GA, yes the Q400 is the right one.

But once you get use to it, then flying simple GA's become imo ofc, very simplicity and no very fulfilling. Nice for a change now and then but no very rewarding.

The next step would seem the PMDG 737, but I think that debatable, why? Well it's a 737 so it's iconic and a stunning aircraft. But it's a big step and you do need FS2Crew to gain a co pilot and thats all great and works wonderfully. But..

PMDG 777, is huge, a beast of an aircraft, that's one reason I love it so much but here imo is the best bit, it's an advanced aircraft and a lot of the work load is automated. This to me makes the 777 perfect to fly "solo" I would not buy FS2Crew for it, the workload imo is perfect for one person. Getting that beast from A to B always gives be a big since of achievement.

I don't fly the stunning Q400 as the 777 just hit the mark 100% for me. I will get back into the Q400 when the PRO version comes out.

I just bought NCA so taking a break flying the RealAir Lancair to have a look round but already wanting to do LAX - SFO -777.

Have fun and if you want a step by step guild to using the Q400, I made one and just PM me your e-mail if you would like a copy. It does not give a walk though on the FMC, that you will have to learn.

Enjoy!

I have all of the four mentioned planes (well - the CS 777, not the PMDG version) and have no issues with any of them. The choice of your planes, however, makes a comparison a bit difficult, in respect to the routes you would like to fly. Crossing the Pacific with the Dash might be a bit of a challenge - whereas a 777 on a short hop could be a bit of an overkill ;)

I'd still go for the Dash first. That will make for an interesting learing curve while at the same time providing a fine range of routes and airports to fly. And then I guess you'll just have to get the others one after another, bit by bit... :D

Cheers

Mallard

The Dash 8 may be a challenge but it has been done. How else would they get delivered to Australia?

Thanks guys for the input so far. Looks like a great case for the Dash 8.  I know Angle of Attack AoA does training videos for the 737, is there any training videos for the Dash 8?

Hi Kilstorm,

AOA don't currently provide any training videos for the Dash, however a company called 'Airline2Sim' are finishing up on a project that will be similar, if not better than the training that AOA provides. The previews look fantastic.

The Dash 8 may be a challenge but it has been done. How else would they get delivered to Australia?

Of course it can be done - and of course it is being done all the time (albeit with extra fuel tanks). The planes aren't assembled in Oz. :)

A while back someone posted a link to a report on a ferry flight in one of the other parts of the forum. I think it was

http://www.wingsmagazine.com/content/view/1927/38/

but I'm not sure...

Anyway - the article I linked to makes for an interesting read - and can perhaps act as an inspiraton to re-fly the route? ;)

Cheers

Mallard

The Q400 is indeed  the perfect companion for flying in ORBX land. It has huge and powerful engines for it's size, and can get into quite short runways. You also get to enjoy the scenery a lot more down at FL220-250, which is a typical cruise altitude range for the Q400.

What I like a lot about the Q400 is that it gives you a challenge quite different to other types of aircraft. It's not like the big jets, where the autopilot does a lot of the job for you, and it's definitely not acting like a small aircraft. The systems needs some studying before being able to fly the bird, especially the powerplant system. Majestic have put a lot of work into modelling the PW150 turboprop engine to it's exact specifications, and it'll respond different depending on atmospheric conditions and many other variables. I also like the fact that just hand flying the bird is quite a challenge, as the flight dynamics are extremely realistic. Landing is the hardest part, and unless you're a real world Dash driver trust me you will not do a good landing on the first try.

I recommend these two tutorials:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts5C9sXryO0&feature=youtu.be

http://majesticsoftware.com/mjc8q400/resources/LandingTheQ400.pdf

Particularly the last one about landing the Q400 is a great resource and it's written by a real world Q400 pilot.

Happy flying!

Unless you're a real world Dash driver trust me you will not do a good landing on the first try.

I recommend these two tutorials:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts5C9sXryO0&feature=youtu.be

http://majesticsoftware.com/mjc8q400/resources/LandingTheQ400.pdf

Particularly the last one about landing the Q400 is a great resource and it's written by a real world Q400 pilot.

Happy flying!

Trust me, as a real world dash driver, it's hard enough to land well even on a good day!

The key I've found is to simply leave the power setting exactly the same all the way down to the tarmac, and raise the nose only 2 or 3 degrees up... don't pull any power in the flare unless you're floating, and even then only a tiny amount... That's my real world technique and it seems to translate decently to the Majestic Q400...

from cruise altitude ? (pure curiosity)

No... ;)

Use whatever power you ned for descent, but once you're established on final with gear and flaps down, keep whatever power you use to hold your Vref speed on the final approach.

Ballpark figure is usually 22% but this does change a little with weight, groundspeed (wind conditions) and glidepath angle of course...

I will give one vote for the Aerosoft Twin Otter Exended.

I love this bird. Perfect for all the small strips in NCA, PNW, PFJ, SAK ... Could be faster though.

I has, however, one big advantage over all the other named aircraft: It is ready for P3D2 ;).

Doc, that is actually a good recommendation. It's a nice turboprop simulation that excels in both VFR and IFR conditions, has STOL capability, is slow enough for you to enjoy the scenery, is easy to handfly, but complex enough to really immerse you in the flying experience. Plus, it is one of the few turbines with a P3Dv2 installer.

I also vote for the Q400, but that is different flying altogether. It works in P3Dv2.1 but if you have issues, you are out of luck. Many of us are hoping that the Pro edition will be P3D ready from the start.

Todd

I will give one vote for the Aerosoft Twin Otter Exended.

I love this bird. Perfect for all the small strips in NCA, PNW, PFJ, SAK ... Could be faster though.

I has, however, one big advantage over all the other named aircraft: It is ready for P3D2 ;).

I agree with you!

I vote to include it in the poll  ::)

I have and enjoy flying the TowtterX as well as the the JS4100.  Two fav's of mine.  I also have the Milviz 732 and FT ERJ's 135/145 which are my more complex a/c in my hangar.  Looking to work my way up a bit more and after getting a OOM in the 732 and knowing the ERJ is a bit old (but still a great addon payware) was thinking of something a bit more recent, complex and less likely to give me OOM issues when flying into Class B size airports.

Also I was looking for a plane that could provide more indepth GSX interaction like catering services and use of jetways as compared to stairways.  I picked up the Q400 along with some Orbx goodies (NCA, 11S, YBRM, YBTH) a few days ago so now its just about learning to fly this new bird.

Thanks for all the input guys!

I have the Dash8, the PMDG737 and the PMDG777. The PMDG 737 is the best to fly. You can land at many airports with 3000' runway. it´s not the case with the 777. The Dash is also a good one, very good quality, very nice cockpit with the HD version.

Have fun !

Although not on the list, I would recommend to Project Tupelov Tu 154. Can you land it/take off on short strips? Not gonna happen. 

However, this aircraft is great for flying into bigger airports and despite it's complexity, it is incredibly rewarding to learn to fly it. Despite owning the PMDG 737, I prefer the Tupelov.

Plus, the aircraft is free and very easy on the system. 

Hi, I did some "" take off"" test this week in KSFO (San Fransisco) with N. CA. Same sky condition (ASN) and daytime.

Average FPS with the big boys where around 20, 18 to 25. Of course most light version of Just Flight resulted in higher FPS, near 30.

Just bought in special the JF DC-10, 35 FPS. Q400 was by far the best of the more high end one, around 28-30 STABLE.

Just saying that FPS killer plane are not... fun.

Ben

No... ;)

Use whatever power you ned for descent, but once you're established on final with gear and flaps down, keep whatever power you use to hold your Vref speed on the final approach.

Ballpark figure is usually 22% but this does change a little with weight, groundspeed (wind conditions) and glidepath angle of course...

Rob,

I absolutely agree!

I'm a Dash driver aswell, although I just drive the q300 it's still tricky to land, we mostly keep the levers around 18% trq depending on wind and so on to keep it stable during flare! but still, even on a good day, smooth landings are like fairy tales, they are not gonna happen in real life. Hehehe

It's easier when the rwy is damp or wet, then the spool up is going to pretend that it was smooth.

Just getting into flying this new Dash 8 and am really happy about this addon.  They done a great job on both the addon and documentation of the plane and how to use it. Think I will be upgrading this plane once the Pro version is out.

Archived