REX4 and a new repaint

Adam Banks

Taking advantage of my $5 discount, I completed my Christmas shopping with REX4/Direct. I always found the old REX/OD a little too "hard-edge" and a fraction too dramatic - whereas FEX smooths out the edges slightly. It would take a lot to persuade me to leave FEX, but I'm glad I made the change. It's a little more subtle all-round, with a good few more cloud varieties - and some marvellous new cirrus textures.

These are with ORBX NZNI, REX4 and OPUS - featuring a new repaint for Ant's Tecnam Sierra (Hauraki Aero Club ZK-PNG), on a trip from its home base in Thames (NZTH) around the Coromandel Peninsula.

rex_zkjng_01_698_1280.jpg

The new cirrus textures:

rex_zkjng_03_663_1280.jpg

Near Coromandel Town (NZCX):

rex_zkjng_04_849_1280.jpg

Near Pauanui (NZUN):

rex_zkjng_05_689_1280.jpg

If anyone has the (excellent) Sierra) and wants this livery, it's here: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/4392-ants-airplanes-sierra-lsa-zk-jng/

Adam.

I'm waiting to see if REX sort out the GUI problem before jumpimg in. :)

Andy, I haven't done a search, but what GUI problems? Works like a charm for me. Whatever it is, can't be a show-stopper <?>. I'd go for it regardless!

These look nice.  Did you install the water color too?

I did indeed ... or rather just picked a set for the theme (and an animation set). With FEX, I played with all the colouring but got utterly confused. I know you used to be able to edit the colours in REX, but I haven't been there yet in REX4. Not sure whether you even can :lol:!

Adam.

EDIT: Want water??? Here we go ... complete with rain!

rex_zkjng_06_560_1280.jpg

Taking advantage of my $5 discount, I completed my Christmas shopping with REX4/Direct. I always found the old REX/OD a little too "hard-edge" and a fraction too dramatic - whereas FEX smooths out the edges slightly. It would take a lot to persuade me to leave FEX, but I'm glad I made the change. It's a little more subtle all-round, with a good few more cloud varieties - and some marvellous new cirrus textures.

These are with ORBX NZNI, REX4 and OPUS - featuring a new repaint for Ant's Tecnam Sierra (Hauraki Aero Club ZK-PNG), on a trip from its home base in Thames (NZTH) around the Coromandel Peninsula.

rex_zkjng_01_698_1280.jpg

The new cirrus textures:

rex_zkjng_03_663_1280.jpg

Near Coromandel Town (NZCX):

rex_zkjng_04_849_1280.jpg

Near Pauanui (NZUN):

rex_zkjng_05_689_1280.jpg

If anyone has the (excellent) Sierra) and wants this livery, it's here: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/4392-ants-airplanes-sierra-lsa-zk-jng/

Adam.

Hi Adam (from Down Under, I guess :-), do you think it's a good choice to switch from REX Essential OD to REX4? Could you tell me your opimnion? 

Thanks and, of course, beautiful shots.

Andy, I haven't done a search, but what GUI problems? Works like a charm for me. Whatever it is, can't be a show-stopper <?>. I'd go for it regardless!

REX Essentials+OD has a problem for some users (why is it always me?) where text, pics and tick boxes in the options/settings menu are invisible - this appears to have carried on into REX 4. REX's latest excuse is that it's all down to screen resolution. Nothing I have tried - and trust me, I've tried a lot - fixes it. I'm reduced to hovering the mouse over a mainly blank screen waiting for a pointer to show up (yes, they work) and hoping II'm lined up with the pic from the PDF manual. Well...you can imagine the fun I've had. It's a shame, as what I've seen of REX 4 is very impressive.

Hi Adam (from Down Under, I guess :-), do you think it's a good choice to switch from REX Essential OD to REX4? Could you tell me your opimnion? 

Thanks and, of course, beautiful shots.

It's too early for me to give an in-depth review or comparison - I've only played with it for a couple of days. I'm sure there are others around that have been able to post something (I haven't looked - I went by two friends' word-of-mouth).

Firstly - I use (and will probably continue to use) OPUS for all my live weather control - so all those functions in REX (or future bolt-ons) will be largely redundant for me. Not only does OPUS interpolate the weather beautifully and accurately, but it also translates it all to decent/realistic turbulence. So ... for me, REX is all about *textures* (only).

I found the old REX a little "cheesy" for my taste - a tiny fraction "over-the-top" and, ultimately, not very realistic (IMHO), so I switched to FEX - which I love(d). More subtle cloud edges and lighting - as well as better mist effects. Both the people I spoke to were also long-time FEX users, so if they both recommended REX4 over FEX (given that they both thought FEX was better than REX/OD) then that was good enough for me. Being an old REX user, I got $5 discount.

Compared to OPUS or Steve's DX10 Fixer REX4 is *CHEAP*. It really is great value. Anyway - features and quality REX/OD vs REX4 Direct:

1) Many more cloud types/varieties.

2) *Much* better high level clouds (cirrus etc.).

3) Overall texture quality seems way better (though it's been a while since I had REX/OD textures running).

4) Some of the water textures+animation look better/more realistic (less "cheesy" to use my yardstick :lol:).

5) Ground textures pretty well the same, but more lightning effects.

I can't comment on advanced theme or set editing - I've done nothing other than lashing up a quick theme.

At a rough guess, I'd say REX4 is around 130% of REX/OD - which (at its price) certainly makes it worth buying - in my book.

REX Essentials+OD has a problem for some users (why is it always me?) where text, pics and tick boxes in the options/settings menu are invisible - this appears to have carried on into REX 4. REX's latest excuse is that it's all down to screen resolution. Nothing I have tried - and trust me, I've tried a lot - fixes it. I'm reduced to hovering the mouse over a mainly blank screen waiting for a pointer to show up (yes, they work) and hoping II'm lined up with the pic from the PDF manual. Well...you can imagine the fun I've had. It's a shame, as what I've seen of REX 4 is very impressive.

Wow, Andy that is a weird one. I must admit I never had problems with any REX GUI's (phew!). What about the other usual culprit - DotNet ... is that updated (or have you got the usual fifteen versions active like the rest of us!)? Also - have you tried Cleartype/font smoothing system options? With or without Aero <?>. Dunno ... but I feel your pain!

@Alan: My water settings in REX4 are:

All textures highest res and best quality compression.

Global Water: Dark clear coral pronounced

Wave animation: Active

I haven't changed any colours - I don't think you can in REX4 Direct < ???>. I really must RTFM some day :lol:.

However - I use DX10 + Fixer and have edited the reflections parameters a bit (to reduce silly cloud reflections). Also, the colouring isn't always REX-related - much depends on the skill of the scenery designer. ORBX/FTX produces some *stunning water* and coastline detail - particularly in Oceania.

Adam.

Adam, I'm running hot and cold on this REX4.  Being a long time REX+essentials (drew the line at OD) user and basically a screen shooter - did all my flying long before FSX, I usually select Orbx theme #4.  This has been very dependable and, since I don't want or need a weather engine, I wonder at the value of the new software.

Archived