FTX Global V1.1 release (imminent)

John Venema

It appears the vector lighting doesn't work on the UTX roads...

So I gather, but thats hardly a showstopper I would have thought? VFR flying is just terrific now- just add airports and you have something pretty close to an FTX region

So I gather, but thats hardly a showstopper I would have thought? VFR flying is just terrific now- just add airports and you have something pretty close to an FTX region

It's probably a matter of what's important to you. The new vector lighting is one of the most innovative parts of FTXG. I already have GEX and the lighting is why I consider changing to FTXG.

I understand I can still keep the UTX lighting but that comes at a hefty performance penalty.

Great news!

Looking very much forwrad to it!

Thank You!

It's probably a matter of what's important to you. The new vector lighting is one of the most innovative parts of FTXG. I already have GEX and the lighting is why I consider changing to FTXG.
I understand I can still keep the UTX lighting but that comes at a hefty performance penalty.

... maybe some of the future updates will provide UTX compatible lights - and who knows what FTX OpenLC will be holding for us ... and maybe one day ORBX will also provide vectordata for all the entire globe too?!

The compatibility is for UTX to add, not the other way around. Let me explain.

If we do anything for UTX I will need to talk to Allen Kriesman the UTX developer, since to add the vector road lights means actually changing the core UTX configuration files that edit terrain.cfg using their control panel app.

Of course we can edit the UTX entries ourselves but that is treading on another developer's toes which I won't do - best to liaise with Allen and have a chat about how to approach it. 

The only sticking point is that UTX is published by Flight1, who also publish GEX so they may well specifically *not* want to add FTXG compatibility to UTX.

In a perfect world we would all make daisy chains and sing happy songs :)

Kumbaya, my lord, kumbaya :)

Jack

LMAO...................Good one Jack.

JV.....THANK YOU........

Not sure what compatibility problems anyone else is having but for me it is simply AWESOME.......FPS, Visual, Smoothness......It is a total different simulator now. Creekdog and myself never thought we would see our area of the world look this good but NOW it does. THANKS so much. Now bring on the patch, airport packs and openLC......................It is a bright future for FSX....... 8)

OH yeah.....Now I can fly at night..............3D Lighting is amazing........

If we do anything for UTX I will need to talk to Allen Kriesman the UTX developer, since to add the vector road lights means actually changing the core UTX configuration files that edit terrain.cfg using their control panel app.

Of course we can edit the UTX entries ourselves but that is treading on another developer's toes which I won't do - best to liaise with Allen and have a chat about how to approach it. 

The only sticking point is that UTX is published by Flight1, who also publish GEX so they may well specifically *not* want to add FTXG compatibility to UTX.

What about their custom landclass textures?  There are only a few and for example GEX replaces them to match with the rest of their textures.

Thanks for the comprehensive response John. Does leave me a bit between a rock and a hard place, doesn't it? I love my UTX but looking at all those marvelous screenshots I would also love to enjoy the new FTXG lighting.

Are there any talks between you and the UTX dev? I checked their forum but can't find any reference to FTXG compability, so I'm not sure they realize the ball's in their court.

Hope we can have both one day. I'd hate to have to make a choice.

As a last resort; is it only related to terrain.cfg mods? If so, can't we (the users/customers) make the changes ourselves making it our own responsibility?

If UTX can't be made compatible then UTX will be removed from my system and I will use ORBX scenery exclusively. More so if ORBX are releasing their own LC products in the future.

When the LC is released or the UTX issues resolved (whichever is first) I will purchase FTX-G.

'Til then I have other things in life to be playing around with.

If UTX can't be made compatible then UTX will be removed from my system and I will use ORBX scenery exclusively. More so if ORBX are releasing their own LC products in the future.

When the LC is released or the UTX issues resolved (whichever is first) I will purchase FTX-G.

Looking at LC I might consider that. But UTX is much more than LC alone. I simply love the UTX coastlines and generation of (small) rivers and lakes.

To my understanding OrbX' OpenLC will not change coastlines and water bodies.

So that would leave the coastlines and water bodies at FSX default...

Looking at LC I might consider that. But UTX is much more than LC alone. I simply love the UTX coastlines and generation of (small) rivers and lakes.

No need to toss out UTX entirely, just disable a couple parts of it, particularly the lighting.  Leave it to handle the things that FTX Global does not address, like coastlines, roads and various other vectors, and just ask it to 'get the hell out of the way' for those items where it is conflicting.  That is part of what makes UTX good IMHO, you can pick what you want and disable the rest.

Every facet of UTX can be turned off in the UTX panel without affecting the rest of the program.  you can disable the roads only if you want.  or you can disable everything but the coastlines if you want.  I made a lot of changes to my UTX settings when global came out.  it's not an all or nothing deal.

edit:  heh, ripcord made the same point and I didn't read it...

There's no way GEX is better than FTXG!! I have all the GEX versions uninstall and it will be as mortifying just to give them away. So i decided to erase the hole thing out of my HDD for more useful addons. If you like being stuck in 'Groundhog Day' then GEX is for you. :)

Look at the innovators of this world....who would imagine that small child will one day change the world. FTXG is only v1.00 a newborn!!! ;)

What amaze me about FTXG in its early stage, is that it is not perfect, but yet it looks so amazing and since you won't appreciate the beautiful textures at night time as much, this is where FTXG night lights do its magic.               

No need to toss out UTX entirely, just disable a couple parts of it, particularly the lighting.  Leave it to handle the things that FTX Global does not address, like coastlines, roads and various other vectors, and just ask it to 'get the hell out of the way' for those items where it is conflicting.  That is part of what makes UTX good IMHO, you can pick what you want and disable the rest.

Every facet of UTX can be turned off in the UTX panel without affecting the rest of the program.  you can disable the roads only if you want.  or you can disable everything but the coastlines if you want.  I made a lot of changes to my UTX settings when global came out.  it's not an all or nothing deal.

+2

Well, that might be true, but I enjoy night flying a lot. So I'd hate it if the immersion would decrease using FTXG or even not being able to use one of the most innovative features of FTXG....

But turning of the roads in UTX, I assume that would bring back the default FSX roads? If that's the case, would the FTXG road vector lighting be present then?

If that's the case the choice I would have to make would be if I would need the additional roads generated by UTX, right?

Forgive me for enquiring so much about this issue; I'm merely trying to make up my mind if I should buy FTXG or not. AUSD 99,95 is a lot of money (for me anyway....). I'm a long time customer of OrbX (see my order list below), so I know their products are top notch quality. I'm just not sure this particular product is of enough value to me. Night lighting would be a large part of it....

Does Global patch 1.1 fix the issue of were multistory residential blocks, at night, in Australian temperate zones, appear as light and dark green layer cakes (ie no textures on them).

Does it also fix Seouls blue roofs (although I think that this could be pure coincedence)?

Does Global patch 1.1 fix the issue of were multistory residential blocks, at night, in Australian temperate zones, appear as light and dark green layer cakes (ie no textures on them).

Does it also fix Seouls blue roofs (although I think that this could be pure coincedence)?

No it does not, those issues were not reported by customers as far as I can recall? In any case we don't recommend using FTX Global to represent Australia, we have a much more accurate and detailed FTX Australia product to do that.

Just one question, is the demo of Ppen LC came with the FTX Global installer or do we have to download something elsewhere ?

thank you

Greg

The openLC Baltics demo comes pre-installed with the base FTX Global 1.0 installer released in late July.

Well, that might be true, but I enjoy night flying a lot. So I'd hate it if the immersion would decrease using FTXG or even not being able to use one of the most innovative features of FTXG....

But turning of the roads in UTX, I assume that would bring back the default FSX roads? If that's the case, would the FTXG road vector lighting be present then?

If that's the case the choice I would have to make would be if I would need the additional roads generated by UTX, right?

Forgive me for enquiring so much about this issue; I'm merely trying to make up my mind if I should buy FTXG or not. AUSD 99,95 is a lot of money (for me anyway....). I'm a long time customer of OrbX (see my order list below), so I know their products are top notch quality. I'm just not sure this particular product is of enough value to me. Night lighting would be a large part of it....

It sounds to me that you have already decided you will not like it, so probably save your cash. 

You do not turn off the roads in UTX you just turn off the major lighting along the roads, and you let FTX Global handle that part.

It sounds to me that you have already decided you will not like it, so probably save your cash.

You do not turn off the roads in UTX you just turn off the major lighting along the roads, and you let FTX Global handle that part.

Can you show me a screenshot then with UTX roads and the FTXG vector night lighting?

Just to make clear; I haven't decided anything yet. In fact I like what I see with FTXG a lot. But I want to make sure what I buy and what part doesn't work due to compatibility issues.

hi my q is about ftx global and patch I have to install all ftx global and then all addons what I have for example some Polish airports or its no matter .And is there any specific about which ftx global or other ftx products will be in scenery addon in library(underneath or above other sceneries)???

thanks Slawek

Archived