DX10 and FTX Global, fix being worked on

John Venema

Hello all,

We're aware that the new 3D lights in FTX Global cause black squares to be displayed which is due to the alpha channel being broken in DX10 Preview in many instances. Since no-one on the Orbx team subscribes to the supposed DX10 benefits nor uses it, we simply didn't test it; that's the honest truth of it, not going to sugarcoat it any other way.

My statements and commitments for DX10 compatibility made earlier this year was based on replacing standard 1024x1024 landclass ground textures, which of course work fine in DX10 mode. It did not occur to me at the time the broken alpha code in DX10 would impact a light texture file.

To give you some perspective, even Microsoft's own car models had issues like these which made it to production for FSX SP2 or the Gold Edition.

However we do recognise there is a small but growing number of enthusiasts who have adopted DX10, so we are in the lab right now working on a fix for this. We actually have a crude fix but I am not happy with the quality of the lights so we're continuing to explore other options.

Workaround

There is a simple temporary workaround for DX10 users which disables the lights altogether. This is not great for night flights but until we release an official fix this will have to do and at least allow daytime flights.

1. In your FSX/P3D root folder, navigate to the Scenery\Global\Scenery folder

2. Rename the 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.bgl file to 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.OFF

We'll be sure to announce the fix as soon as it's available. Meantime please stop making support requests about DX10 compatibility ok?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello

Thanks for the info; I’m sure you guys will nail it.

I don’t know of any other FSX related company that woks as hard towards their customers.

In the meantime I’ll just stick to DX9 and enjoy this new Toy.

Great, John, that you report with honest truth. Not many companies doing this nowadays! And also many thanks for the quick workaround and the resources allocated for fixing the gap. That is the professionalism we try to support!

Perhaps when an announcement such as this is posted it should be read only because all the thank you post just clutter up the thread and are really no help and just force you to bring up the thread again and again to see if something really useful has been added.

Now that I have contributed to just that I'll go sit in the corner. ???

Hello all,

We're aware that the new 3D lights in FTX Global cause black squares to be displayed which is due to the alpha channel being broken in DX10 Preview in many instances. Since no-one on the Orbx team subscribes to the supposed DX10 benefits nor uses it, we simply didn't test it; that's the honest truth of it, not going to sugarcoat it any other way.

My statements and commitments for DX10 compatibility made earlier this year was based on replacing standard 1024x1024 landclass ground textures, which of course work fine in DX10 mode. It did not occur to me at the time the broken alpha code in DX10 would impact a light texture file.

To give you some perspective, even Microsoft's own car models had issues like these which made it to production for FSX SP2 or the Gold Edition.

However we do recognise there is a small but growing number of enthusiasts who have adopted DX10, so we are in the lab right now working on a fix for this. We actually have a crude fix but I am not happy with the quality of the lights so we're continuing to explore other options.

Workaround

There is a simple temporary workaround for DX10 users which disables the lights altogether. This is not great for night flights but until we release an official fix this will have to do and at least allow daytime flights.

1. In your FSX/P3D root folder, navigate to the Scenery\Global\Scenery folder

2. Rename the 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.bgl file to 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.OFF

We'll be sure to announce the fix as soon as it's available. Meantime please stop making support requests about DX10 compatibility ok?

Yes, that would be swell. Thank you.  Much appreciated. But not all of us fans are techies.  Some of us are more plug n play.  How do I find the root folder?  I've looked for it (search function) but not sure what to call it.  "Root folder" doesn't seem to work. :(

Yes, that would be swell. Thank you.  Much appreciated. But not all of us fans are techies.  Some of us are more plug n play.  How do I find the root folder?  I've looked for it (search function) but not sure what to call it.  "Root folder" doesn't seem to work. :(

That means, wherever you installed your FSX/P3D to....

JV - really appreciate the work you guys are putting into this, and for the candid explanation.

Still a big fan of Global despite a few teething probs. Overall, it represents a massive upgrade of my FSX experience.

Keep up the good work. Look forward to the fix!

I don't seem to have an FSX folder on my PC.  I did a search and nothing came up. It must've installed into some other folder.

Impossible you should. Look on c: programfil (x86 for 64 bit) Microsoft/fsx

Or if you have a desktop shortcut for FSX then just select it and right click on it.

Select properties

Then look for the Target Location, it should give you the path.

Dx10 need a bit of tweaking but can really improve your simulator, trust me. Is a time consuming process, a lot of trial and error but at the end you will notice the difference.... I did..... good luck mate.

+1

Hello all, a quick update.

The issue is FSX itself, and the way the DX10 renderer is dealing with vegetation class autogen. It appears that the alpha blending is just not being called under any circumstances, regardless of which DXT algorithm is being used for the alpha mask.

The only alpha channel that DX10 allows for vegetation autogen is DXT1 format. This is the only way to make our lights work but I can assure you that it looks butt ugly.

We even took the default road traffic car models (whose lights work correctly in DX10) and assigned them the same GUID as our 3D light. The result was the same black rectangle around the headlights. The conclusion; this problem is not the models or textures, but DX10 restrictions for the group Vegetation Autogen group.

We are continuing to work the problem and of course if anyone in the FS community who has experience in solving thes sorts of DX10 mysteries wants to help us out we are more than willing to listen, just email us at info@orbxsystems.com with the title "DX10 lights FTXG".

I think this is current. From his Shader Release 3.2.2. Readme

Steve Parsons

Email

stevefsx [AT] yahoo.co.uk

Blog

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/

That's the current fix, this upcoming application is intended to work on a much wider range of issues as noted on his website and add thing such as virtual cockpit shadows which I believe is a DX10 feature. I admit to not knowing that much about the inner workings of the code but hopefully it can solve this problem. I'm guessing P3D 2.0 will take care of this entirely as it's DX11 functionality will not be broken out of the gate like the current DX10 situation is for FSX.

Have any of you fellas actually installed this yet?

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=shader+dx10&CatID=root&Go=Search

This should work for you guys as DX10 alpha channel issues were always a DX10 'Preview Mode' FSX issue and not an OrbX one. Why those idiots at Microsoft left DX10 in this state they did is beyond comprehension.

I have tried the suggested comenting out the bgl file in scenery/global/scenery folder and i still get black box's where street lights should be. I would like to just uninstall FTX Global until the patch is worked out for DX10. I think its a great product just dont know why the temporary fix does not work. I even tried letting FSX build a new config to no avail. I will check back tommorrow as i have to go work on planes for real life.

FTX GLOBAL FSS0223089

Hello all, a quick update.

The only alpha channel that DX10 allows for vegetation autogen is DXT1 format. This is the only way to make our lights work but I can assure you that it looks butt ugly.

Hi John, Can we see what you are referring to as "butt ugly" in a couple of screenshots or maybe we can get what you have so far, for us to test and tweak?!  8)

Thanks 

Danny

Dx10 during the day, DX9 during the evenings when the sun is down. Easy fix.

Easy fix for you maybe. I still can't find the fsx root folder. When I right click on the icon and go to properties it just says "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" instead of a location.   It must be the way the game was installed or something. Even running search doesn't turn up a folder with scenery bgl thing in it.  I'm totally frustrated!  Please God, I need for ORBX to develop a patch!!  Come on, lads.  You can do it!!!

Easy fix for you maybe. I still can't find the fsx root folder. When I right click on the icon and go to properties it just says "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" instead of a location.   It must be the way the game was installed or something. Even running search doesn't turn up a folder with scenery bgl thing in it.  I'm totally frustrated!  Please God, I need for ORBX to develop a patch!!  Come on, lads.  You can do it!!!

Either C:/ Program Files/ (x86) Microsoft/ FSX (windows 7 and above)

or

C:/ Users / Your Name / App Data / Local / Roaming / Microsoft / FSX (hidden folders must be made unhidden first)

If its not there, then you dont have FSX installed.

I think you misunderstood. You need to search for the .bmp file to rename (to .bak for example) that can be found in your FSX installation folder, where the 'fsx.exe' lives.

If you didn't install in a different location than default, it is probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Flight Simulator ------> and then the folders \Scenery\Global\Scenery. (Win7)

I have it installed outside the Program files folder because of some restrictions this map has with Windows' UserAccount Control (UAC). So for me it's C:\Games\Microsoft Flight simulator\Scenery\Global\Scenery.

There I can find the OrbX file to rename. 

This folder you MUST have, otherwise you shouldn't be able to start FSX lol.

Ask if you need any more help.

If you do need more help, go find the FSX shortcut on your desktop and rightclick it. Then click Properties and tell me what it says in the Target box. That location there should be your 'FSX rootfolder' as they call it here.

Good luck!

What is Steve's email address? It's worth a try but I expect this is more to do with how the DX10 code works for vegetation rather than any texture conversion simple fix.

Hi John

Did you guys install the DX10 modification that all of us now use to correct the DX10 bugs Microsoft left in the FSX DX10 Preview?

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=shader+dx10&CatID=root&Go=Search

By Steve Parsons:

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/

DX10 makes a huge positive impact on frame rates.

I have made some tests before I made the switch at various airports, and I get every-time double + my FSP than in DX9

Example, if I got 60fps max at an airport I would get 120+ using DX10

My Hardware in signature.

Archived