FTX Global - What is it all about?

Rob Newman

EDIT: JV - The Iceland Demo User Guide now explains what FTX Global is all about in an easy to read guide including our product roadmap. Download the guide here: http://fullterrain.com/usermanuals/FTX_Global_Iceland_Demo_User_Guide.zip

Hi all...

Just to help clarify just what FTX Global is, and what it isn't, plus what we can all do to maximize our setups and get the best out of FSX/P3D, here's a quick explanation of the various FSX/P3D scenery "layers".

Basically, there are 4 main layers to FSX/P3D scenery...

MESH - Simply put, quite literally a 3D grid (or mesh) that defines the shape of the terrain.

LANDCLASS - Basic shapes draped over the mesh which tell FSX/P3D what type of terrain is in an area. No actual textures or imagery, simply a definition of what is supposed to be there.

TEXTURE (& Autogen) - What you see on the ground. A collection of textures which are stored almost like a library and applied to the landclass definitions. Autogen buildings and vegetation are assigned positions within the textures and show up when the textures do. The texture tiles are designed to be tiled together to cover large areas if needed.

VECTOR - All the "line" data in the sim... roads, railways, rivers, power lines etc.

gOnHs.jpg

FTX Full regions provide one stop solutions to all 4 layers... They provide mesh, landclass data, textures and vector data to give maximum detail.

FTX Global provides just textures and limited landclass improvements... A huge upgrade to default FSX and primed for future upgrades, but limited landclass data at present. 

Open LC when it becomes available will provide the much needed fixes and better definition to landclass data.

As you can see, FTX Global is the best texture replacement available for FSX, but does not include any Mesh, Landclass, or Vector data... In it's raw form, it simply uses what was provided by FSX default, but will also use any 3rd party Meash, Landclass and Vector data if it's installed. So to get the best out of FTX Global while we all wait for Open LC, you may want to invest in some of that 3rd party software to help smooth out those rough edges of FSX/P3D default ;) There are also many freeware packs out there for small areas.

Examples would be:

Mesh - FS Genesis, FS Global 2008/2010/Ultimate

Landclass - FS GLobal Landclass, UTX

Vector - UTX, USA Roads

Hope this helps clarify how FTX Global fits into the grand scheme of things... and gives you a few ideas and pointers on how to get the most out of your new FSX/P3D world :)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob

Very informative post thanks!  I have asked in a separate thread but if I may ask here as well:

Will UTX Canada/USA be worthwhile addon considering the future release of the openLC North American area? Based on your explanation above it seems as if you would be getting repeated landclass and vector data with both so its either one or the other. Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi Rob

Very informative post thanks!  I have asked in a separate thread but if I may ask here as well:

Will UTX Canada/USA be worthwhile addon considering the future release of the openLC worldwide areas?

Thanks

John, Yes it will be worthwhile.  UTX provides the data to place roads, rivers, railways, coast lines in their proper places.  That's not the same as OpenLC which is landclass (that tells the sim where and what shape the textures for cities, beach, rocks, etc will be drawn)  They are not the same, but compliment each other.

Hi Rob

Very informative post thanks! I have asked in a separate thread but if I may ask here as well:

Will UTX Canada/USA be worthwhile addon considering the future release of the openLC North American area? Based on your explanation above it seems as if you would be getting repeated landclass and vector data with both so its either one or the other. Is this correct?

Thanks

You're right that it's one or the other... Whichever one is higher on the scenery library is the one that will be displayed (just as UTX now "replaces" the default landclass data). Personally, if you're happy with default landclass for the moment, hold out for Open LC... If you want a better representation now while you wait, UTX should fill the gap...

Hi Rob,

As far as I understand it OpenLC will not contain any vector data (only landclass) as this is supplied only for FTX regions.

So a "terrain" product like UTX or OpenVFR will be necessary for more accurate coastlines, roads, rivers etc.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

An excellent and clear explanation for all Rob! Couldn't have phrased it better...that's just how I see it. This is the clearest I've seen anyone explain it to those who weren't sure what was what and would recommend it to anyone who didn't quite understand it.

Kind regards,

Sid

looks great, and a good graphical explaination.  I think you might have meant "openVFR" instead of OpenLC for a vector scenery provider.  Unless OpenLC really is going to give us roads and coastlines which would be awesome.

Hey Rob (or anyone who has the answer,) I hope this hasn't been answered elsewhere, so I apologise if it is the case. But I have UTX Europe installed and as I understand things it should be retained. However, there are some things such as nightlighting that I understand needs to be turned off. My question is, are there any other elements in UTX Europe that needs to be turned off? Cheers...

Really good example here. Thank you for the clarification.

I have a question: I read in the manual (ftxg) that the ftxg entries in the scenery lib should be above everything else. So where should UTX be placed? Add on airports? AI traffic?

Last time I researched I found that UTX should be above defaults, next fs genesis then AI and last were the airports. Is this not correct?

Hi Rob,

As far as I understand it OpenLC will not contain any vector data (only landclass) as this is supplied only for FTX regions.

So a "terrain" product like UTX or OpenVFR will be necessary for more accurate coastlines, roads, rivers etc.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Yes... You're correct in that.

Open LC is just better LC positioning, but rivers, coastlines, roads and all other vector data will be the realm of UTX for now... then  the Full FTX region as, when and if it's done.

Hey Rob (or anyone who has the answer,) I hope this hasn't been answered elsewhere, so I apologise if it is the case. But I have UTX Europe installed and as I understand things it should be retained. However, there are some things such as nightlighting that I understand needs to be turned off. My question is, are there any other elements in UTX Europe that needs to be turned off? Cheers...

Hey Rockliffe,

I think it has been answered elsewhere, but it bears repeating.

Nightlighting within UTX (wherever you are) is optional... You can leave it on if you like, but it is a huge frame hog and has different light halo effects to the FTXG lights, so I personally prefer them off I simply turn them off from the control panel provided with UTX, but you can also disable them in the scenery library if you like.

As for anything else in UTX, I would leave everything else on... UTX gives you better roads, railways, rivers, coastlines and other vector data, but it also redefines landclass for it's region... so while you wait for Open LC, you might as well use UTX as it's above and beyond what FSX default gives you ;). I will say though that the UTX Custom layer displays special UTX textures that frankly, don't blend well with FTXG, so I disable that one too...

Rob, I've bookmarked this page so I can refer others to it when they ask the usual questions about scenery. Simple and easily understood - very well done. 

Not a problem... I was bored and had photoshop ;)

Really good example here. Thank you for the clarification.

I have a question: I read in the manual (ftxg) that the ftxg entries in the scenery lib should be above everything else. So where should UTX be placed? Add on airports? AI traffic?

Last time I researched I found that UTX should be above defaults, next fs genesis then AI and last were the airports. Is this not correct?

Good Question... Here's how I have my order:

UTX - Immediately above the FSX default stuff (top entry is "EDWARDS_AFB")

Other Scenery Areas (eg Tongas Fjords) - Immediately above UTX

FTX Global (Open LC) - Immediately above other scenery areas

If you only have FTX Global from ORBX, that's it. Open LC entries are at the top of the list.

If however you have any other FTX scenery (region packs, airports etc), you would then layer those ABOVE the FTXG Open LC entries.

Luckily, if you do have other FTX sceneries installed, then the installer always puts things in the correct order so you don't have to think about it ;)

Here's my library in al it's ordered glory...

XyFzu.jpg

Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to all of us. Very useful and informative, much appreciated.

Looking at my own Scenery Library I notice that my openLC entries are above all the other FTX entries and also my OZx entries (e.g. from the top: openLC, OZx, FTX).  Should I move the openLC entries to just before the FTX entries like you have yours or does it not matter?

Thanks, Martin

Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to all of us. Very useful and informative, much appreciated.

Looking at my own Scenery Library I notice that my openLC entries are above all the other FTX entries and also my OZx entries (e.g. from the top: openLC, OZx, FTX). Should I move the openLC entries to just before the FTX entries like you have yours or does it not matter?

Thanks, Martin

I'd move them down... That way, you're assured that the LC data for your full FTX regions has a higher priority than Open LC and will be displayed as intended... Right now you probably wouldn't see much difference, but once Open LC starts appearing in the same areas as full FTX regions, then it will make the difference...

I'd move them down... That way, you're assured that the LC data for your full FTX regions has a higher priority than Open LC and will be displayed as intended... Right now you probably wouldn't see much difference, but once Open LC starts appearing in the same areas as full FTX regions, then it will make the difference...

Thanks Rob for answering the question so quickly :).  It makes sense and I'll move the entries down. Loving FTX Global as I do with all the other Orbx products.

Thanks, Martin

Yes... You're correct in that.

Open LC is just better LC positioning, but rivers, coastlines, roads and all other vector data will be the realm of UTX for now... then  the Full FTX region as, when and if it's done.

Ok it's just that your 2nd diagram lists OpenLC as an example of 3rd party Vector Data which you might want to correct to avoid confusion. Great explanation btw!

Hey Rockliffe,

I think it has been answered elsewhere, but it bears repeating.

Nightlighting within UTX (wherever you are) is optional... You can leave it on if you like, but it is a huge frame hog and has different light halo effects to the FTXG lights, so I personally prefer them off I simply turn them off from the control panel provided with UTX, but you can also disable them in the scenery library if you like.

As for anything else in UTX, I would leave everything else on... UTX gives you better roads, railways, rivers, coastlines and other vector data, but it also redefines landclass for it's region... so while you wait for Open LC, you might as well use UTX as it's above and beyond what FSX default gives you ;). I will say though that the UTX Custom layer displays special UTX textures that frankly, don't blend well with FTXG, so I disable that one too...

Not a problem... I was bored and had photoshop ;)

Brilliant Rob, thanks for the explanation, appreciated.

Adding to the explanations and examples of the library somewhere above:

I guess other detailed addon scenery (and airports) from other devs should go on top of the OpenLC layer, right?

Many of us have certain free- and payware (MegaScenery or Blue Sky) that we would like to keep using combined or on top of with FTX Global.

Adding to the explanations and examples of the library somewhere above:

I guess other detailed addon scenery (and airports) from other devs should go on top of the OpenLC layer, right?

Many of us have certain free- and payware (MegaScenery or Blue Sky) that we would like to keep using combined or on top of with FTX Global.

Good point, but photo scenery actually has top priority in FSX/P3D no matter where it is in the scenery library, so Megascenery areas should display right off the bat.

Airports etc as you mentioned should indeed be set above Open LC.

The best way to think of it is the scenery library order is basically like layers... Whatever is on top is going to be seen on top of what's below (except that photo scenery will always show if its there, no matter what).

Good point, but photo scenery actually has top priority in FSX/P3D no matter where it is in the scenery library, so Megascenery areas should display right off the bat.

Airports etc as you mentioned should indeed be set above Open LC.

The best way to think of it is the scenery library order is basically like layers... Whatever is on top is going to be seen on top of what's below (except that photo scenery will always show if its there, no matter what).

Ok, thanks for the explanation!

I only wanted to make sure if I figured it out correctly.  I didn't know or forgot about the photoscenery always having priority, thanks!

Thanks for that info. What about mesh (Fsgenesis, FS Global). Should that be above or below UTX or some other level?

Mesh can be placed anywhere... The way FSX deals with mesh is it will use the highest detail mesh it has available for a given area... Even if it's lower on the scenery list. Personally, I would put any 3rd party mesh products above FSX default, below UTX...

I don't have any 3rd party mesh yet (except for those included with my FTX regions), but I do have FS Global on the way in the mail right now... That's where I'll be placing it, but purely for tidiness sake.

Hi all,

I got a question. Will FS Global ultimate Europe and Africa do the same job as just FS Global?

Best,

Omer

Hi Omer...

It will do the same job, only more detail. FS Global 2008/2010 is a "whole world" package which will help define the terrain shape around the globe to a very high standard, but FS Gobal Ultimate takes it a step further and adds even more detail to the terrain shape. The Ultimate packages are only sold as individual regions I believe as they contain such a huge amount of data.

Hi Rob,

Really informative thread thank you.

I am pondering FS Global Ultimate Mesh but I was wondering whether it used up a lot of extra computer resource due to its higher level of detail?

Do you have any thoughts regarding this please?

Thanks Dave

Hello everyone,

First I have to say that FTXGlobal IS HUGE, I LOVE IT.

I want to reinstall all from 0, I meen FSX, UTX, REX and off course FTXG. My question is what is the best order to do this? I think it about so: 1. FSX, 2.UTX, 3.FTX, 4.REX then all PMDGs and some scenery, am I correct?

The second question is : Do I need something else? I meen mesh, becouse I am not sure but I think that UTX is not a mesh. 

Thanks and sorry for my poor English

take air ..

Archived