A little light housekeeping.

VH-KDK

Fans of the BBC's Goodies may remember the title line and this set is not about dusting and vacuuming. Because of the treacherous seas in this area there are 3 major lighthouses in the Land's End, Scilly Isles vicinity so I have done a quick flight to view them.

1. GNXPy.jpg

Leaving St Mary's and heading west.

2.D2sZG.jpg

Bishop Rock is the most westerly of the Scilly Isles. Apparently it is in the Guiness Book of Records for the smallest island to have a building on it. At 176 ft tall the lighthouse was first lit in 1858 and fully automated 1n 1992.

3.AaI8Z.jpg

There are 10 floors in the building.

4.0iBE.jpg

The Wolf Rock light house is 135 ft tall and was completed in 1869 after 9 years of building due to the terrible weather experienced in this part of the world. It lies halfway between the Scilly Islands and Land's End. It was fully Automated in 1988 and was the first lighthouse in the world to have a helipad on top.

5.kUabQ.jpg

The Twotter overflying the Wolf Rock lighthouse

6.u3qXR.jpg

At 115ft the Longships Lighthouse is thew smallest of the trio. Built on the highest of the Longships Islands the original light at 79ft asl was sometimes obscured by high seas. The present structure was completed in 1873 and fully automated in 1988.

7.gf4n.jpg

An interesting feature is that the light on the seaward side is white but red on the section facing the mainland. In 1898 the SS Bluejacket hit the rocks on a clear night nearly demolishing the lighthouse.

Excellent Set mate, nice crisp details.!!

Another great set of shots, thanks for sharing and thanks for the info ::)

Great crisp detailed shots Martyn , thanks for posting these beauties . ::) ::)

Brad

Thank you for your great comments and interest.

Smashing shots indeed.

cheers

Iain

Great shots and descriptions, Martyn. If you can´t do the STOL experiment requested by DocBird, you shoud repeat this tour with a helicopter!

I suppose I must try a chopper flight one day .

Excellent set there Martyn !!

Adam

Beautiful shots Martyn.

The Twin Otter is a STOL plane but the Helipad is a little short even for this legendary plane.

Having said that: I a strong wind one could try ... >:D

Nice shots, by the way!

It would have to be a very strong wind, but that part of the world has some horrendous weather at times.

+1

Very nice shots!

Beautiful set

Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions.

Archived