When in Rome ......

VH-KDK

Well as I seem to do most of my flying these days in North America I decided to splash out on the venerable Beaver.

Always a much liked aircraft I used to see them at Moorabbin over 20 years ago when I would take an extended lunch break when working in the area.

A great looking package with no less than 46 different aircraft which at about 55c each works out at excellent value.

Taking off from Birchwood, which has become a popular airport for me, I will fly up the Eagle Valley before attempting a landing at Hardee Field.

1.Rqwif.jpg

Ready for the off from 01L.

2.wEIa.jpg

Over Birchwood with the Knik Arm behind the Beaver.

3.4VznB.jpg

Entering the Eagle Valley from the highly detailed cockpit.

4.A0F1S.jpg

Over the eastern end of Eagle River.

5.2pajy.jpg

The Eagle River with Rendevous Peak on the left and Roundtop on the right.

6.UEN12.jpg

Eagle Peak.

7.fLcE.jpg

Part of the Chugach Mountain range.

8.9CILs.jpg

Close to Hardee Field with the Eagle River Glacier in the distance.

9.AHXxr.jpg

Another view of Eagle Peak.

10.pwNn.jpg

Nearly there.

11.lGkuQ.jpg

Oooops. More practice required.

12.m26GF.jpg

Luckily its flight simming so the Beaver is as good as new.

Great shots here and by the way, the aircraft you flew seems to belong to Johnny May, out of Fort Chimo (the repaint shows Fort Chima). Fort Chimo is now Kuujjuaq and Johnny May used to fly around the Ungava Bay and Hudson Bay when I worked near the Arctic Circle. One day, he landed in Inukjuak, had problem with one of his brakes, but had to continue the ride so he invented something on the spot to make sure the break would hold on and just took off to finish his run :-X

Superb shots Martyn - and the livery also offers a nice contrast within the green/blue colourtones of this great environment!

Great shots here and by the way, the aircraft you flew seems to belong to Johnny May, out of Fort Chimo (the repaint shows Fort Chima). Fort Chimo is now Kuujjuaq and Johnny May used to fly around the Ungava Bay and Hudson Bay when I worked near the Arctic Circle. One day, he landed in Inukjuak, had problem with one of his brakes, but had to continue the ride so he invented something on the spot to make sure the break would hold on and just took off to finish his run :-X

Very nice set of shots Martyn and a not so nice landing !! :D

Adam

Great shots as always Martyn. Beautiful area to fly.

That is a beautiful area you are flying in, great shots of it.  Also you have to be careful with the breaks when landing a tail dragger.

Smashing shots indeed.

cheers

Iain

What a nice trip mate, nice to see I'm not the only one getting the stop wrong on occasios :)

Fantastic shots Martyn , one thing tho I think your CG is a little off in shot #11. Ha Ha .

Brad

Thank you all. I think I should have chosen a larger runway for the first landing attempt. I have done a couple of better landings since, not that they could be any worse!

Archived