FSGlobal vs FSGenesis

I am a little bit surprised that the discussion regarding MESH to FTXGlobal more or less ONLY is about FSGenesis. I have noticed that Iain has this "headlne" in his screen shots postings "Using FSGenesis world terrain mesh for FSX". Could that be the reason why we only talk about FSGenesis?

I have been using FSGlobal since it was released and now I´m on FSGlobal Ultimate and VERY satisfied with the product. I notice that it occupies about 101 GB on my HD and that FSGenesis World Terrain Mesh has 3.99 GB!!! I don´t claim that big is better but I sure think there is something here.

I have also been a loyal customer to FSGenesis but I do have to say that I´m a little bit surprised over Justins marketing. Every year there are new offers for different "memberships", every March I get e-mails asking me to support his company with money donations, otherwise he has to close his business...... Is the "promoting" of FSGenesis products on this forum a way to "save" his company?

I am very well aware of the fact that the day after FTXGlobal is released there will be a great demand for MESH products and various developers/companies will profit from that. Could we please try to have a discussion about various products in an objective way, compare them, exchange experiences and so on. I think we are a lot of people pretty puzzled about this MESH thing and need help from more experienced people here on this forum.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Hi JJ

i just posted a small test/review in the orbx support forum about FS Genesis and its derivates USA Terrain and Global Terrain. You might have a look there.

Read your other posting but again.................  ONLY glory to FSGensis not a word about FSGlobal or other products on the market like NEXT Map and NO comparison! What I am looking for is an objective comparision of different products.

JJ you're not alone using FSGlobal.  I also exclusively use FSGobal from 2008.  Now using just FSGlobal Ultimate which also comes with the handy AFM to remove those nasty plateaus and bathtubs.  Yes the instillation is huge and a 120 euros plus postage isn't cheap, but you certainly get IMO the best global/regional terrain mesh there is for FXS/P3D.

I dont have FS Global on my system. I made this little review/overview cause there were non. You could do the same. In my test the subject was the compatibiliy with small default airfields and how they behave if you combine it with FSGenesis. I dont think that FS Global will have problems with FTX Global as the FSG is mesh and FTXG is texture. The difference between FSG and FSGenesis is the LOD. As in FSG the LOD varies between 10 and 14 FSGenesis has a fixed LOD either 10m or 76m. That answers the question about the sizes of both products too. In short the higher the LOD the bigger the size of data. Now if you install both FSGenesis products, which you can then your data will be nearly doubled.

What does that mean for your sim expirience, its easy as that, at high LOD the more you fly away from a mountain the longer it will be visible in high detail the higher by the way for your system (More triangles and polygons have to be calculated by the GFX). Try it for yourself. Setup a flight from KGCN then head to the Grand Canyon and now compare FSG on and off.

Read your other posting but again.................  ONLY glory to FSGensis not a word about FSGlobal or other products on the market like NEXT Map and NO comparison! What I am looking for is an objective comparision of different products.

Totally agree Jack - I've been watching the forums in readiness for Global and the majority I see is all about Genisis. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to mesh etc. I need all the objective, mutual advice I can get. I was all set to get Genisis but quite frankly I find the products a little confusing. If fellow members could give their opinions on all the mesh products I would be extremely grateful.

Good, now we are getting somewhere! It´s important to get input from different angles and from people that know what they are talking about. As for Scandinavia for example, the MESH data is so poor so it would be a waste of money to buy MESH products for that area.

Maybee some useful links;

http://simviation.com/fsx_terrainmesh.htm

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Terrain_mesh_introduction

I have a membership with Genesis, and used it for a very long time.  Over time there have been lots of updates which is good.  I've come across quite a few anomalies while using it, but not enough to be a serious problem.

I was persuaded to switch to FS Global 2010, then on to Ultimate.  As has already been said, Global is pretty expensive, especially for me, since as a member downloads of Genesis are free.

I haven't particularly noticed the effect of how far mountains can be seen, but I'm from Scotland and have plenty of hills and mountains around.  I can say that locally with Global, the hills are a lot more detailed.  I can see small ravines, and little volcanic necks, I've clambered over.  I can land a helicopter on a very small hill which I can see from my house, formery occupied by the Romans (the hill, not the house!) ::)

I was very satisfied with Genesis, but Global gives me far more detailed terrain.  Of course where you don't know the terrain, you might never know the difference.

If money is tight, Genesis is fine.  If you want to see your locality pretty well as it really is, and there is enough in your wallet, then Global Ultimate.

Cheers, Jim

Jack,

Interesting topic, I have been using FSGlobal 2010 since I started a couple of years and have started to get FS Ultimate which I will install for FSX on  a 750gb Hybrid drive. 

However, on the strength of the many FTX Global Screenshots that we have seen, (a bit over the top maybe) I also decided to purchase FSGenesis.  With FTX regions now coming out on a regular basis, and the forthcoming FTX Global and as I only have a 512gb SSD for P3D, I felt this was a good move as it takes up only a fraction of the space. So it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

On another note, I have enjoyed your part of Spain for many years, having spent Holidays in Torrevieca  until recently. :smile:

Have a G'Day.

Jack,

Interesting topic, I have been using FSGlobal 2010 since I started a couple of years and have started to get FS Ultimate which I will install for FSX on  a 750gb Hybrid drive. 

However, on the strength of the many FTX Global Screenshots that we have seen, (a bit over the top maybe) I also decided to purchase FSGenesis.  With FTX regions now coming out on a regular basis, and the forthcoming FTX Global and as I only have a 512gb SSD for P3D, I felt this was a good move as it takes up only a fraction of the space. So it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

On another note, I have enjoyed your part of Spain for many years, having spent Holidays in Torrevieca  until recently. :smile:

Have a G'Day.

Anytime you are nearby, just contact me, I would love to meet you! For the rest of you guys, if you ever come to Spain, just let me know, our doors are always open for friends and we have a guest-room at your disposal and I can promise you good food and drinks (my partner is a chef).

What I see as a little bit "unlucky" is the headline in Iains excellent screen-shots! It COULD be interpreted as "PR" for GSGenesis. IF ORBX thinks that FSGenesis is the best MESH for FTXGlobal then say so, if NOT give us a statement telling us to wait until the product is released and let us make up our own mind about witch product to buy/use.

I have said in most of my FTX Global topics to wait until the product is released before purchasing other complimentary products such as mesh. Iain Emms is not promoting any mesh product over another; I just asked all testers to declare up front what third party products they were using in their screenshots so we remain open and clear about what is being shown.

If an FSGenesis feeding frenzy has resulted then it is not of our making, but I am sure Justin Tyme at FSG would be a happy man right now.

To repeat, I do not recommend spending hundreds of dollars on various addons before FTX Global is released. It would be wiser to install it and see how things look with default before you embark on a shopping spree :)

Awwww, John,

you spoiled all the fun watching folks salvating and sweating about which MESH to jump on.  Here the voice of reason telling everyone to wait a min., save some coin and 'just be cool' until the product has been released.

Kind of reminds me of first time prospective parents buying "everything for the new kid" and it isn't even past the zygote stage of development!

Oh and waiting will let you save the funds to buy other goodies that are offered as well.

I have said in most of my FTX Global topics to wait until the product is released before purchasing other complimentary products such as mesh. Iain Emms is not promoting any mesh product over another; I just asked all testers to declare up front what third party products they were using in their screenshots so we remain open and clear about what is being shown.

If an FSGenesis feeding frenzy has resulted then it is not of our making, but I am sure Justin Tyme at FSG would be a happy man right now.

To repeat, I do not recommend spending hundreds of dollars on various addons before FTX Global is released. It would be wiser to install it and see how things look with default before you embark on a shopping spree :)

Thank you VERY much JV for your post! Hope we can wait with the MESH discussions til AFTER the release of FTXGlobal! :-X

Awwww, John,

you spoiled all the fun watching folks salvating and sweating about which MESH to jump on. Here the voice of reason telling everyone to wait a min., save some coin and 'just be cool' until the product has been released.

Kind of reminds me of first time prospective parents buying "everything for the new kid" and it isn't even past the zygote stage of development!

Oh and waiting will let you save the funds to buy other goodies that are offered as well.

Totally agree. Waiting is the best thing to do. Asking people who already use FSGenesis or FSGlobal is good airmanship. Cause with all collected infos you can easilly decide what will suit you best.

We all might know this expresion, proper preperation prevents pilots from piss poor performance ;)

So I'm curious, how well does FS Global do with the whole airports in holes/plateaus?  I see a lot of that with FSGenesis, I had one of their Galaxy memberships so I have access to and have every single FSX mesh product they have available installed right now (40GB of downloads).  I would have no problem switching to something else though if it handles the hole/plateau issue better.  I know FSGenesis has started working on "terrain adjustment packs" to fix those as a separate purchase, but they only have limited availability right now for a few small areas.

Hmmm, maybe I should just grab the AFM product to go with my FSGenesis mesh then?  It kinda sounds like FS Global has a higher resolution overall though and that could very well push me to switch if they have higher than the 76m that FSGenesis has in a lot of the more remote/less popular areas.

From the research I have done.  It looks like the two products do exactly the same thing, i.e. provide a higher detail mesh than default FSX.

The difference in the products looks to be a trade off, Genesis is cheaper and uses less HDD space at the expense of resolution, FS Global uses much more HDD space and is more expensive but the mesh has more points of measurement.  

If there is any difference beyond that, then I would love to be educated since I will soon find myself in the terrain mesh buying market.  

It looks like either one would compliment FTX Global nicely.  Providing sharper topography and land features while FTX added a top layer of reworked autogen textures and autogen 3D structures.  

Also one last thing to take into account.  FS Global as far as I can tell is only avaliable in DVD form.  So if you live outside of Europe then there could be costly shipping.

For me, Genesis is a better option because they seem to be located in the US and if I buy from their site, I can avoid paying VAT.  

If someone knows of FS Global being sold in download form from somewhere outside of the EU, I would greatly like to have the link

Thanks

rudel.dietrich

"The difference in the products looks to be a trade off, Genesis is cheaper and uses less HDD space at the expense of resolution, FS Global uses much more HDD space and is more expensive but the mesh has more points of measurement."

That is correct, BUT if the products are EXACTLY the same WHY is FSGlobal 3 times bigger??? If they use the same data and have the same LOD it shnould NOT be like that.. So something seems to be wrong here. To me it seems that FSGenesis does NOT include the same amount of data and that could resut in lesser quality. As I have both products installed, I guess I have to try to get some comparing screenshots and see for myself.

The source is the same indeed. The products are the same too they provide meshs for FSX/P3D.  The difference between FS GLobal and FS Genesis is the LOD. FS Global has DIFFERENT LOD they go from LOD 10 to LOD14. LOD 14 is the highest they provide and that consumes high amount of data.

FSGenesis has a CONSTANT LOD. FSGenesis Global Terrain has an LOD 9 (76m resolution) and for USA LOD12 (10m resolution)

The size for both of the is around 8 gigs. If they would provide an world wide LOD from 10-11 to 14 than you most probably have a size of FS Global ;)

FS Global VARYING LOD=lots of gigs

FS Genesis CONSTANT LOD=less gigs

Lets do some geometry here. A 3D mesh consists of lots of small triangles. Now on you wat to display a terrain on a square kilometre, you have a few small hills and some valleys on it. Now if you have to divide that in triangles. The LOD defines in the end how big the triangle will be either 19m by 19m by 19m or even smaller at high LOD. The higher LOD gives you a nearly 1:1 experience of the real world but needs more performance of the system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail

You only seem to be comparing FS Global with the FS Genesis world mesh plus the US mesh. As Mickey says, FS Genesis world mesh is 76m, but they have also a lot of individual country packs with more detailed mesh (38m, 19m, 10m) and if you install all these then you would be getting up to somewhere around the same size of installation as FS Global.

Worth noting that FS Genesis has recently been sold, and as far as I know, to Pilots. Justin Tyme has set up a new company and website www.toposim.net but this seems to be to me a strange set up. They have no products, but what they plan to do is offer a service to simmers and developers to custom make mesh. For simmers, if you have an airport that needs good mesh work, they will do this for a charge of US$ 100 (with downpayment of US$ 50) and a delivery time of about 6 weeks to completion. If you order this, they will then pay you 5% royalty on all orders placed by other simmers for this airport. Seems to be a very daring business venture, I can't see many individual simmers being prepared to go down this route.

Cheers

Jack

I know Justin was looking to sell FSGenesis a while back (he approached Orbx) so it may appear if the above post by Jack is true that Pilots (the people who make FSGlobal) may have purchased FSGenesis which in turn would give them access to the Nextmap data agreements Justin had. So this will hopefully mean a better all-in-one higher definition product emerging down the track, which is a good thing IMHO.

Thanks Mickey for clearing this up.

So if I understand you right, the HIGHER LOD the better details, needs more diskspace and a little bit more from the computer. So with FSGlobals LOD 14 against FSGenesis LOD 9-12, FSGlobal should provide better quality and details.

Yap thats about right. Theoriticaly you would see more details from a certain distance too. IMHO 10m is just about right in relation to data size and performance. Just think about it, every 9.6m an elevation point is drawn.

Sorry, just found a post at Avsim that says it was sold to FS Pilot Shop / eDimensional, doesn't seem to be the same company as Pilots?

Jack

Ah that would explain the sudden emphasis on FsGenesis products at FSPilotShop. Thanks for clarifying this.

This was sad to hear. It means that all our payed memberhsips with free updates just went down the drain,

Not sure about that, at least for now. I just signed in the FSG storefront and my Galaxy stuff still works. Test d'l the FSX Landclass and it worked. Who knows how long it will last...

Link to storefront:

http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Hi all,

Hope is not too late.... (BTW I didn't know any FS Genesis until now... hehehe)

I've both products, FS Genesis since FS9 (and used it in FSX) but last year I tried FS Global 2012 and now I stick to it. Both are excellent, but FS Global wins on simplicity, practicality (AFM tool) and better resolution on areas where I like to fly...

Reasons:

FS Genesis: Excellent for USA, but not that good for other areas, particularly South America and Asia. If you like those areas you need to buy additional packages, in consequence you need multiple installs compare to just 3 from FS Global. USA Land class is excellent as well, but not for the rest of the world!

FS Global: I use the AFM which is easy to use and it is important, particularly if your base airport is close to mountains...

The main weaknesses on both are coast lines! so I wonder if someone knows a good way to overcome this limitation...

The second and more important limitation about ORBX FTX Global is the concern over land-class.... but that is another topic...

Clear skies,

jcmmg

Hello Everyone!

An interesting topic here!

... and ...

Hi all,

[...]

FS Genesis: Excellent for USA, but not that good for other areas, particularly South America and Asia. If you like those areas you need to buy additional packages, in consequence you need multiple installs compare to just 3 from FS Global. USA Land class is excellent as well, but not for the rest of the world!

FS Global: I use the AFM which is easy to use and it is important, particularly if your base airport is close to mountains...

The main weaknesses on both are coast lines! so I wonder if someone knows a good way to overcome this limitation...

[...]

Clear skies,

jcmmg

+1 ..

regarding FS Global and the AFM tool - airportelevation it is a "serious" issue i think within FSX and when considering purchasing a more detailed mesh in general.

.. and then there is the "global coverage" aspect indeed!

Both are the main reasons why i have also choosen FS Global quite a while back already.

Or, to be more precise:

I have FS Global 2010 at home (and also the Ultimate Series for Europe and Africe, which i have not installed at the moment though due to the large amount of disk space it needs)

... and for me - only personally spoken though - FS Global 2010 offers a real good compromise when it comes down to offer proper mesh detail on a global scale, price, the required "disk-space" and the posibility to "correct" airport elevation if needed in a - comparativley - smooth and easy way.

It will always take some time and effort to deal with airport elevation but then again FS Global, again only in my opinion, offers quite an useful approach to deal with it via its AFM tool.

Only my two cents here now though.

.. and coastlines ... well that's another story - within FS Genesis and FS Global though! :lol:

Cheers, Christoph

I have also been a loyal customer to FSGenesis but I do have to say that I´m a little bit surprised over Justins marketing. Every year there are new offers for different "memberships", every March I get e-mails asking me to support his company with money donations, otherwise he has to close his business...... Is the "promoting" of FSGenesis products on this forum a way to "save" his company?

I am very well aware of the fact that the day after FTXGlobal is released there will be a great demand for MESH products and various developers/companies will profit from that. Could we please try to have a discussion about various products in an objective way, compare them, exchange experiences and so on. I think we are a lot of people pretty puzzled about this MESH thing and need help from more experienced people here on this forum.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

I had similar impressions Jack.  I remember the weekly pleas for sales because the thing was going under any day now.  Bad form IMHO.

But product is good and except for the many airport terrain adjustments that are needed, it is quite good.  Nothing negative to say, it does make a difference over the FSX default terrain mesh.

EDIT:  OK not surprised now to learn that he sold.  Good for him, hope he did well. 

I have a membership with Genesis, and used it for a very long time.  Over time there have been lots of updates which is good.  I've come across quite a few anomalies while using it, but not enough to be a serious problem.

I was persuaded to switch to FS Global 2010, then on to Ultimate.  As has already been said, Global is pretty expensive, especially for me, since as a member downloads of Genesis are free.

I haven't particularly noticed the effect of how far mountains can be seen, but I'm from Scotland and have plenty of hills and mountains around.  I can say that locally with Global, the hills are a lot more detailed.  I can see small ravines, and little volcanic necks, I've clambered over.  I can land a helicopter on a very small hill which I can see from my house, formery occupied by the Romans (the hill, not the house!) ::)

I was very satisfied with Genesis, but Global gives me far more detailed terrain.  Of course where you don't know the terrain, you might never know the difference.

If money is tight, Genesis is fine.  If you want to see your locality pretty well as it really is, and there is enough in your wallet, then Global Ultimate.

Cheers, Jim

I had that same membership.  Did now until I read this thread that Justin sold that thing. 

I would like to hear more about this, particularly since you were a FS Genesis user.  You really noticed a difference back in the hometown highlands?

Sure money is always tight but I want what I want, and that is detail.

The source is the same indeed. The products are the same too they provide meshs for FSX/P3D.  The difference between FS GLobal and FS Genesis is the LOD. FS Global has DIFFERENT LOD they go from LOD 10 to LOD14. LOD 14 is the highest they provide and that consumes high amount of data.

FSGenesis has a CONSTANT LOD. FSGenesis Global Terrain has an LOD 9 (76m resolution) and for USA LOD12 (10m resolution)

The size for both of the is around 8 gigs. If they would provide an world wide LOD from 10-11 to 14 than you most probably have a size of FS Global ;)

FS Global VARYING LOD=lots of gigs

FS Genesis CONSTANT LOD=less gigs

Lets do some geometry here. A 3D mesh consists of lots of small triangles. Now on you wat to display a terrain on a square kilometre, you have a few small hills and some valleys on it. Now if you have to divide that in triangles. The LOD defines in the end how big the triangle will be either 19m by 19m by 19m or even smaller at high LOD. The higher LOD gives you a nearly 1:1 experience of the real world but needs more performance of the system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail

OK this is valuable to know.  I didn't realize that FS Global has different levels of detail, versus constant LOD.

Hi all,

Hope is not too late.... (BTW I didn't know any FS Genesis until now... hehehe)

I've both products, FS Genesis since FS9 (and used it in FSX) but last year I tried FS Global 2012 and now I stick to it. Both are excellent, but FS Global wins on simplicity, practicality (AFM tool) and better resolution on areas where I like to fly...

Reasons:

The second and more important limitation about ORBX FTX Global is the concern over land-class.... but that is another topic...

Clear skies,

jcmmg

Damn it man, i was almost sold on this.  What is the problem with the coastlines with FS Global?

Archived