How I spent my free time at Kowesas River Lodge...

AirborneSTIG

The weather was ideal....so I ordered in the materials and re-painted my Super Cub again.

It's not quite finished....but this is what I have completed thus far.

I'm open to suggestions/criticisms.....but go easy...I'm a MUCH better bush pilot than texture artist. LOL

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

...well thats what they say ....lol

Hey Stig are you running "Shade " app. I look at that rudder shot and the whole empanage structure looks flat . You have lost your depth . Be clear here that I dont know what I'm talking about !! ..true , I have never tried painting ....

....but the defini

tion of shape is lost . No idea how you overcome this but I guess this is how one learns and thats the reason I ask if you're running Shade - which will help.

Having another look, maybe the painters paint in a little shadow ( probably not ?) or maybe see what it looks like on a clear sunny day.

Yep, for sure the depth of the paint or the colour flattens out the detail or contour of the plane but, again, I stress I dont know what I am talking about .

...well thats what they say ....lol

Hey Stig are you running "Shade " app. I look at that rudder shot and the whole empanage structure looks flat . You have lost your depth . Be clear here that I dont know what I'm talking about !! ..true , I have never tried painting ....

....but the defini

tion of shape is lost . No idea how you overcome this but I guess this is how one learns and thats the reason I ask if you're running Shade - which will help.

Having another look, maybe the painters paint in a little shadow ( probably not ?) or maybe see what it looks like on a clear sunny day.

Yep, for sure the depth of the paint or the colour flattens out the detail or contour of the plane but, again, I stress I dont know what I am talking about .

No real way to get around it, I'm afraid...the tail is divided into two parts...the empanage itself...and the rudder....and unfortunately, my homemade (and admittedly crap) logo straddles that seam.

This is what the logo looks like prior to being reduced in size and added as a new layer into the texture file for the fuselage.

Posted Image

I've been teaching myself how to do this in my spare time and my skills are admittedly limited.

I'm open to suggestions/criticisms.....but go easy...I'm a MUCH better bush pilot than texture artist. LOL

Firstly, another nice paint job Stig ;) All I really want to say, or more to the point is ask, is do you use "Layers" when painting? What I mean is, do you create a "paint layer" or paint directly onto the background, or the existing paint kit layer?

If you do paint directly onto the paint kit layer, you "might" loose some of the kit detail, flatten it out and loose some definition, as Alan2 mentioned. Try creating a "New Layer" just above the base layer in the paint kit and do all your painting in it. Here is an example:

Paint Kit Base layer (sometimes called background or white or some other name) should be at the Bottom of the Layer Pile some where.

Paint Layer, where you do your paint work (use the layer option of Multiply so the base detail shows through)

Paint Layer Two - if you are using more than one color, makes it easier to make changes if needed (Multiply layer option)

Image Layer - for any pictures, logo's etc you want to add (Noral, Multiply normally, but up to you depending on the look you want)

Text layer - obvious and normally with Normal Layer option.

If you look at the layer structure, the first layer I mentioned should be the lowest with the rest being added on top of each other. Finally, if your really keen, select the Background Layer, copy it, then paste it in a new window. Remove everything from that layer you don't want or need then create a new Layer called "Detail" for example and paste the extracted details form the background into this Detail layer.

For example, doors, windows etc - this will give your paint depth and a more detailed realistic appearance.

The bottom line though is your actual paint work looks pretty good to me, the above are just suggestions that might help a little :)

Archived