Mesh in preparation for ORBX World - what to get?

Vonduck

Hi guys,

I am keen to get the ful monty ORBX world when it arrives and as i understand it, it does not include a world elevation mesh... therefore, what should i be investing in to get ready for this release? And also to use now obviously! :)

Thanks folks for any help!

Regards

As for me, I use FS Global 2010 but intend to replace it by FS Global Ultimate. It looks bigger than FS Genesis but sharper.

Richard, I'd suggest some investigation before buying FS Global Ultimate. Several add-on Airports are sitting on plateaus when it's activated. This is caused by the fact that these add-on Airports are usually based on default FSX elevations while FS Global Ultimate provides essentially refined elevation data (that's what it's made for). As far as I read this issue is less pronounced, if present at all, in FS Global 2010. FS Globlal provies a tool (it's on one of the DVDs) for correcting these issues on a per airport base, but I got tired of having to correct any other airport after landing there. - I doubt ftx global will change anything on this fact as it's a pure texture/autogen package not including any elevation data. Kind regards, Michael (sorry for the poor formatting, my Enter key still doesn't work for this Forum.)

Several add-on Airports are sitting on plateaus when it's activated. This is caused by the fact that these add-on Airports are usually based on default FSX elevations while FS Global Ultimate provides essentially refined elevation data (that's what it's made for). As far as I read this issue is less pronounced, if present at all, in FS Global 2010

Hi Michael,

Yes indeed, that point is mentionned in the PDF provided by FSG2010 but I don't experience myself that trouble with FTX scenes such as SAK or ENG. Very strange oo it maybe depend on which airport you often use...

Richard, I recall having had this issue myself around Aerosoft Megaairport Madrid and several Airports in Southern Germany (VFR Germany/German Airfields based like ). I am not an expert in this field, but as far as I know FTX sceneries are based on Holger Sandman's Holger Mesh which I'd expect is at least as detailed as FS Global Ultimate. FSX/Prepar3D just selects the higher resolution mesh (independent of placement in the scenery library, btw.) thus I'd expect all or nearly all ORBX area sceneries (including imbedded payware airports) not to clash with FS Global Ultimate. Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes indeed, that point is mentionned in the PDF provided by FSG2010 but I don't experience myself that trouble with FTX scenes such as SAK or ENG. Very strange oo it maybe depend on which airport you often use...

Thats because FTX region packs come with their own mesh files.

FTX Global will not include mesh.

Richard, I'd suggest some investigation before buying FS Global Ultimate. Several add-on Airports are sitting on plateaus when it's activated. This is caused by the fact that these add-on Airports are usually based on default FSX elevations while FS Global Ultimate provides essentially refined elevation data (that's what it's made for). As far as I read this issue is less pronounced, if present at all, in FS Global 2010. FS Globlal provies a tool (it's on one of the DVDs) for correcting these issues on a per airport base, but I got tired of having to correct any other airport after landing there. - I doubt ftx global will change anything on this fact as it's a pure texture/autogen package not including any elevation data. Kind regards, Michael (sorry for the poor formatting, my Enter key still doesn't work for this Forum.)

Hi Michael,

Richard, I recall having had this issue myself around Aerosoft Megaairport Madrid and several Airports in Southern Germany (VFR Germany/German Airfields based like ). I am not an expert in this field, but as far as I know FTX sceneries are based on Holger Sandman's Holger Mesh which I'd expect is at least as detailed as FS Global Ultimate. FSX/Prepar3D just selects the higher resolution mesh (independent of placement in the scenery library, btw.) thus I'd expect all or nearly all ORBX area sceneries (including imbedded payware airports) not to clash with FS Global Ultimate. Kind regards, Michael

A very interseting Thread here!

Wrong airport elevations are my main concern in regards to enhanced meshes, besides accurate local-area-mehes (as provided by ORBX for instance).

I have FS Global 2010 at home and also FS Global Ultimate - and with FS Ultimate i think the situation is even worse than with Global 2010, because FS Ultimate uses even more detailed data and if something is wrong it is even more significant then.

I have been fiddling around with the included tool (AFM) to correct wrong airport elevation if needed, but then the moment occured when i was asking myself:

Do i again really want to fiddle around with FSX/P3D and spend a huge amount of time with it or shouldn't i better go flying instead?

Well: I finally ended up uninstalling all the FS Global meshes and simple went flying over ORBX lands and other dedicated 3rd party sceneries, which provede good local meshes and adequate airport elevation.

The support at FS Global was also rather bad i think, which is sad somehow as it could really be a great product if it would be continuously updated in regards to correct airport elevation for instance.

Generally spoken i sure wished these issues could be solved, because:

A proper mesh significantly improves the overall appearance of the sim in a most positive way!

But then again:

It looks quite strange quickly when an airport is suddenly "hanging around" something like 200 feet above its surround area or so.

I have not tried out FS Genesis yet though, so i cannot really say anything about it here.

Anyways:

At the end of the day its again (as so often within FSX) up to everyone's personal preferences i think, because:

If a proper mesh is wanted, then there sure is a way to work around wrong airport elevation data!

Cheers, Christoph

That means FTX mesh is higher than FS Global :) So let's wait and see when FTX Global comes

That means FTX mesh is higher than FS Global :) So let's wait and see when FTX Global comes

Hello Richard!

Not necessarily always higher than FS Global but definitely very, very detailed, convincingly close to reality and very, very satisfying.

Nonetheless:

Fact is, that there won't be a Global mesh for FTX Global.

The great ORBX meshes are always and exclusively included to the highly detailed scenery-add-ons from ORBX such as SAK, PNW and so on only!

They do not cover the entire Globe!

Maybe one day there will be some ORBX-Global-Mesh for purchase available too, which would be fantastic - but so far this has not been announced or mentioned anywhere!

Therefore some alternatives may be still needed if wanted: Hence it's again up to either FS Global, FS Genesis or freeware meshes to cover those areas which are not remodelled by ORBX in high detail such as PNW, SAK and so on.

Cheers, Christoph

Hello Richard!

Not necessarily always higher than FS Global but definitely very, very detailed, convincingly close to reality and very, very satisfying.

Nonetheless:

Fact is, that there won't be a Global mesh for FTX Global.

The great ORBX meshes are always and exclusively included to the highly detailed scenery-add-ons from ORBX such as SAK, PNW and so on only!

They do not cover the entire Globe!

Maybe one day there will be some ORBX-Global-Mesh for purchase available too, which would be fantastic - but so far this has not been announced or mentioned anywhere!

Therefore some alternatives may be still needed if wanted: Hence it's again up to either FS Global, FS Genesis or freeware meshes to cover those areas which are not remodelled by ORBX in high detail such as PNW, SAK and so on.

Cheers, Christoph

Thanx a lot for these infos

Archived