Edited or raw?

Hi guys,

After discovering a piece of editing software online I seem to enjoy editing my shots now before I post them. But its all of you that views them so what do you prefer?

Raw:

Posted Image

Light edit:

Posted Image

The Edited shot:

Posted Image

I don't think this is the best of examples as the editing looks abit rubbish but non the less what do you all generally prefer?

Regards

Josh

Honestly Josh: I like both of it very much!

The edited one has some very nice shadowing and lighting somehow and looks crisp.

The unedited one looks less saturated and may fit better to some of these very foggy days.

So - and these ae only my 2 cents here now - for me personally it pretty much depends on what situation, mood, atmosphere whatsever You want to capture or create within Your shots.

Therefore:

I like both of it!

The edited one has some very nice shadowing and lighting somehow and looks crisp.

The unedited one looks less saturated and may fit better to some of these very foggy days.

So - and these ae only my 2 cents here now - for me personally it pretty much depends on what situation, mood, atmosphere whatsever You want to capture or create within Your shots.

Therefore:

I like both of it!

+1 - It is what you prefer to capture and create .

Brad

Same here, though I also love doing a few processing tricks. More and more I'm trying the subtle approach, eg vignetting, bring it way back so you can just see the dark edges. Much better than the dime a dozen standard look that makes shots look too dark.

It's really up to you, what you think adds to the pic. The first light edit is better than the default, but that's just my opinion. It might be too dark, but it might be my phone screen. See, it's hard to get it right. Just have fun!

... for me personally it pretty much depends on what situation, mood, atmosphere whatsever You want to capture or create within Your shots.

I like all three very much. Every pic has its own charm.

I quite like all three shots. I agree with the others that it really depends on the effect you're trying to achieve.

BTW, what editing software are you using?

I love the background on the second shot, if that was combined with the lighting on the Aircraft on the first shot, that would do it for me.

Try selecting the Aircraft on the first shot, press the invert selection tool and edit the inverted area (ie. the background).

If you need help let me know here, we will try get a few ideas going.

As above, what software have you used, helpfull for us to know where to help.

It is art at the end of the day, they are all good in their own ways and what I like about FSX/P3D+ORBX+REX plus some of the fantastic aircraft we can get our hands on is that it becomes ever easier to get images like the ones we see in picture shops. Dramatic aviation art for the masses. We can all capture the print of our dreams.

Stick at it.

Cheers

Phil F

I very much enjoy unedited shots because they show how others has set up their FSX. But I also like edited shots if one can see that there has been put work in it. Editing is some sort of art.

Personally I dont like your last shot. For my taste it is simply too much.

The first edited shot is great. I like this tilt shift look. Also the contrast between the sharp aircraft and the blurry background.

Keep on going. The unedited shot looks very good but I would also like to see some more of your edits :)

I hate to say it ... but I prefer the RAW shot *much* better than any of the edits! Lifejogger's contrast edit helps the sky a lot (more drama) but darkens the Islander too much, IMHO. I'd settle for a darkened sky - with a "feathered" (soft) edge, leaving out the aircraft. Here's my version - top and bottom with added contast, plus a bit of sharpening in the foreground:

Posted Image

Hi all,

Many thanks appreciate all of you feedback and what Ive taken from it is everyone likes different things so Iam going to vary it out more...

Therefore:

I like both of it!

Thanks for that point Christoph Ill bare that in mind, the effect of the mood and atmosphere for future snaps.

Same here, though I also love doing a few processing tricks. More and more I'm trying the subtle approach, eg vignetting, bring it way back so you can just see the dark edges. Much better than the dime a dozen standard look that makes shots look too dark.

It's really up to you, what you think adds to the pic. The first light edit is better than the default, but that's just my opinion. It might be too dark, but it might be my phone screen. See, it's hard to get it right. Just have fun!

Thanks for your reply Simmo, Iam sometimes aware I over edit and end up making the shot look worse ( I think above is a good example of that :P ) I need to remember less is more sometimes! And looking at them now I do prefer the light edit myself its just I can get carried away :)

I like the final edit a lot ... love the cloud/sky texturing .

Thanks for your reply Tony, although that shot isn't my favourite it shows everyone has there rightful opinion :)

I actually like the raw one the best, if you add some contrast to it and and make it a little bit darker,

Thanks for your reply John, Ill try to use more modest editing in the future.

I like all three very much. Every pic has its own charm.

Thanks Kasi, very kind! :)

Well i like them both very much.

cheers

Iain

Thanks very much Iain :) ...

I quite like all three shots. I agree with the others that it really depends on the effect you're trying to achieve.

BTW, what editing software are you using?

Thanks BPL :) Iam not on my main computer atm but when I get onto it Ill have a look and message you.

I love the background on the second shot, if that was combined with the lighting on the Aircraft on the first shot, that would do it for me.

Try selecting the Aircraft on the first shot, press the invert selection tool and edit the inverted area (ie. the background).

If you need help let me know here, we will try get a few ideas going.

As above, what software have you used, helpfull for us to know where to help.

Thanks for that point Tom Ill bare that in mind and try to achieve this in some later shots :) And as said above Iam not on my main computer atm but when Iam I will find out a message you.

It is art at the end of the day, they are all good in their own ways and what I like about FSX/P3D+ORBX+REX plus some of the fantastic aircraft we can get our hands on is that it becomes ever easier to get images like the ones we see in picture shops. Dramatic aviation art for the masses. We can all capture the print of our dreams.

Stick at it.

Thanks for replying Phil, I completly agree with you being able to capture any aircraft,anywhere from any angle is actually a pretty amazing thought!

I like seeing the variety of individual tastes on display here.

Very much agree with you Stig thanks for your reply.

I very much enjoy unedited shots because they show how others has set up their FSX. But I also like edited shots if one can see that there has been put work in it. Editing is some sort of art.

Personally I dont like your last shot. For my taste it is simply too much.

The first edited shot is great. I like this tilt shift look. Also the contrast between the sharp aircraft and the blurry background.

Keep on going. The unedited shot looks very good but I would also like to see some more of your edits :)

A very kind reply Jan, thankyou! I agree with you.The last shot is to heavy and the first shot needs more being added as it looks abit dull.

I hate to say it ... but I prefer the RAW shot *much* better than any of the edits! Lifejogger's contrast edit helps the sky a lot (more drama) but darkens the Islander too much, IMHO. I'd settle for a darkened sky - with a "feathered" (soft) edge, leaving out the aircraft. Here's my version - top and bottom with added contast, plus a bit of sharpening in the foreground:

Thanks Adam for stating you honest opinion Adam which is why I started this post I want everyones honest opinion! :) Ill bare your points in mind for future shots. Sadly your picture didnt load for me on IE or Chrome :(

Well I think thats everyone ;) Thanks all for your replies!

Regards

Josh

Thanks Adam for stating you honest opinion Adam which is why I started this post I want everyones honest opinion! :) Ill bare your points in mind for future shots. Sadly your picture didnt load for me on IE or Chrome :(

Hmmmm. My "day" job is a web developer, so I'm always keen to spot any idiot browser behaviour. I tried in IE (10) and Chrome (26.0.1410) and everyone's pics (including mine) are fine. Does it still not show for you? Tried a refresh?

Adam.

From the last result I think it would look good if you gave it the old WW11 black and white, or rather it usually turned out brown and white. Given the newer model plane that may not be a good match however.

Archived