Milford Sound to Martins Bay

Mark A

Hi all,

Have just picked up NZMF and have really enjoyed the job done on this spectacular region! The shots below show an early morning flight from Milford Sound to Martins Bay the hard way, i.e. Inland via the Homer Pass and the Holyford Valley. This is a great flight and more so in a low-and-slow aircraft like the A2A cub. Also, I'd recommend getting hold of a copy of the relevant NZ Visual Navigation Chart in 250k scale. This really helps with planning and navigatign a flight in this mountainous region!

Posted Image

Airborne from NZMF, I fly down the sound and then execute a 180 degree turn. This allows me enough time to get up to 4500ft to clear the Homer Pass.

Posted Image

One last look at NZMF as I head into the valley.

Posted Image

The terrain is rising steeply but I already have the height to cross the pass. There is quite a bit of turbulence from the southerly here.

Posted Image

Looking south as the clouds roll over the ridgeline. I hope it doesn't close in on me before I cross!

Posted Image

Crabbing over the Homer Pass

Posted Image

Made it!

Posted Image

Turning north at the top of the Hollyford Valley, the most challenging part of the flight is behind us.

Posted Image

About to overfly Lake Alabaster, this was a slight detour as I hadn't been down to Big Bay before.

Posted Image

Overhead Martins Bay to set up for my approach.

Posted Image

Final Approach to Martins Bay, little bit of a crosswind.

Posted Image

Backtracking to the lodge

Posted Image

Looking for a parking spot!

Posted Image

All shut down and ready for a coffee.

Thanks gents, you're very kind!

The great thing is I could do dozens of these flights and still not have explored every pass, valley, lake and strip.

Will plan out my next adventure soon, I'm thinking back up the Hollyford valley, south to Lake Manapouri and across to Doubtful sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived