[FTX GLOBAL] using Ultimate Terrain USA

Wow. Really good for sure. How about.... Calgary? UTX-Canada? Would not mind seeing that one. On Long final to Runway 10 at CYYC would be cool.

Ultimate Terrain and ORBX need to get in bed hardcore IMO. Together with some fine tuning of landclass and vector integration, this would be crazy good.

Charles.

Not bad shots there: nice sunset colours; pretty big waves in the water though, and the islands look stuck on :P

Joking aside these pics give a true representation of what FTX Global will do with the many vector and landclass sceneries out there - the limitations I've seen so far are down to the idiosyncracies of those products. Ultimate Terrain has always had those noticeable water / land borders, they're in Orbx too in some locations but blended much better. I'm guessing the difference is hand crafted vs. automated scenery generation in the UTX products which cover vast areas ... Based on what I've seen I'm really looking forward to getting FTX Global as I have all the UTX products and many of the other sceneries John has been showing.

John - Do you have Ultimate Alaska? I'd really like to see how FTX Global looks somewhere outside of SAK.

Thanks,

Rob W

FTX Global does not use a scenery library entry (in its alpha state), and is unlikely to do so for the final product. It replaces the default FSX textures so all landlcass products you install will be calling FTX Global anyway. The above shots were made simply by installing UTX USA, enabling all its features and then just loading up FSX. I did not look at the scenery library since I assumed the UTX installer would place its folders itself at the top layer (which it does).

We may or may not include our own landclass layer shipped with the basic product. We have not yet decided if this is something we want to pursue since there are already so many products on the market which cater for LC and terrain. If we *do* add LC it will be a basic interpretation of publicly available data - much better than default, but not as detailed as other third party products on the market and certainly not anywhere near the hand-made LC that comes with our FTX regions.

Our main aim is to ensure that the "forgotten" areas in the FSX world look right; places like Asia, the Middle East, Pacific Islands, India etc - they all have been neglected in the default FSX landclass and we want FTX Global to try to appear as good as possible even in its basic form. The LC for Europe and USA was already reasonable enough which is why it is easier to show screenshots in those areas. We're not being deceptive in our previews; but the truth is that it will be some months before we can show you other parts of the world looking as best as we can make it with a single texture replacement pack.

With the subscription model of the Plus Pack you will of course benefit from our ongoing efforts to add a lot of value to FTXG including new landclass and terrain improvements, so the product evolves and gets better over time. This is a huge project to undertake so we have to dish it out in morsels to allow the development to be funded.

FTX Global does not use a scenery library entry (in its alpha state), and is unlikely to do so for the final product. It replaces the default FSX textures so all landlcass products you install will be calling FTX Global anyway.

Thanks John - sorry my "brain gears" weren't spinning fast enough this morning to realize that (more coffee needed!).

It certainly looks like a very worthwhile product, and one that should really increase the longevity of FSX. I'll be most interested to see how it improves the Maritime provinces in Canada (my "real world" haunts), but rest assured that you can definitely put me in the Guaranteed Subscriber category for this one once it goes gold!

My $.02 is for Orbx to develop LC and mesh...I'm guessing that many people, like myself, don't fly outside of Orbx regions...(I know the PNW better than my own backyard!) I haven't purchased any third-party LC or mesh packages, and don't plan on it.

The textures are the biggest improvement and reason for me to go fly somewhere else now, and FTX global achieves that I am going to invest in the full FTX Global PLUS PACK, and really don't want to use any other outside products / companies. I think if LC and mesh development were part of the full PLUS PACK package (implemented over time of course), you would see a much greater interest in people investing in the PLUS PACK up front because they wouldn't go and invest in these other products like FS Genesis, UTX, etc.

Maybe that's what plus pack is anyway. I don't completely understand all of the differences in the different products out there and which ones overlap and which ones don't.

Awesome John. I cannot wait for FTX Global...............And getting closer to KCLT (Charlotte Douglas) and Atlanta........Would really love to see a shot or 2 from those areas........

My $.02 is for Orbx to develop LC and mesh...I'm guessing that many people, like myself, don't fly outside of Orbx regions...(I know the PNW better than my own backyard!) I haven't purchased any third-party LC or mesh packages, and don't plan on it.

Maybe that's what plus pack is anyway. I don't completely understand all of the differences in the different products out there and which ones overlap and which ones don't.

I agree with aujeffk if possible to include. I too do not own any other LC or MESH products and probably will not purchase any. Before FTX/ORBX I only flew in the vanilla FSX with a few payware aircraft.

FTX Global does not use a scenery library entry (in its alpha state), and is unlikely to do so for the final product. It replaces the default FSX textures so all landlcass products you install will be calling FTX Global anyway. The above shots were made simply by installing UTX USA, enabling all its features and then just loading up FSX. I did not look at the scenery library since I assumed the UTX installer would place its folders itself at the top layer (which it does).

Hey John.........If I was to purchase UTX USA (thinking about it hard now) how would it treat the areas of FTX/ORBX i already have such as PNW, and airports, etc. Would I need to make sure those are at the top of list in "Scenery Folder" or does it even matter?

... I think if LC and mesh development were part of the full PLUS PACK package (implemented over time of course), you would see a much greater interest in people investing in the PLUS PACK up front because they wouldn't go and invest in these other products like FS Genesis, UTX, etc.

That is exactly what the Plus Pack is all about: continual improvements to FTX Global in the form of LC, terrain, airports, POIs, perhaps even mesh.

I have installed a custom combination of REX clouds, FEX (circa 2007) water and also FSWC "Paul's Favorite Settings". This is my go-to set of textures I have been using for five years and it's not available in a commercial product. You could probably replicate it using the full REX release but it's a matter of trying a bunch of different water settings.

Yes that is UTX lighting which I enabled for the benefit of the screenshots. It's a simple step to disable the UTX lights either using their control panel or the FSX scenery library. Since FTX Global includes our own 3D lighting we recommend disabling UTX lighting unless your PC can handle the load.

FTX Global has five seasons (Summer, Winter, Hard Winter, Fall, Spring) and night lighting.

Wow..looks awesome...by the way...the utx roads that cut off autogen buildings don't like very much to me!

And, of course, don't like right now that I use utx!

John, maybe this can be corrected with the dlc of the plus pack..or I'm wrong?(only with the dlc and without using any lc product like utx)

Keep up the great work!

Paolo

edit: Last question, what is the autogen setting in fsx for these screenshots?

Wow..looks awesome...by the way...the utx roads that cut off autogen buildings don't like very much to me!

And, of course, don't like right now that I use utx!

John, maybe this can be corrected with the dlc of the plus pack..or I'm wrong?(only with the dlc and without using any lc product like utx)

Keep up the great work!

Paolo

edit: Last question, what is the autogen setting in fsx for these screenshots?

You cannot stop vector roads and other vector data cutting through autogen - that is just the limitation of using landclass based scenery, always has been.

Also, the DLC is not going to make any changes to third party addons like UTX, sorry.

I am using all sliders maxxed in those shots.

Also, the DLC is not going to make any changes to third party addons like UTX, sorry.

I'm Sorry John, but maybe I'm not very clear on my request! I apologize for my bad english!:)

I didn't want to say that ftx global correct the other addons errors...but if in the dlcs, the roads vectors, are not cut the autogen buildings...or this is a limitation within fsx?

thanks!

Paolo

• 2 weeks later...

All looks great John...perhaps would look even greater if you would show a pre-orbx shot Vs a default FSX shot. I know that there are so many add ons out there that would effect the outcome however at a minimum a comparison of default FSX Vs Orbx treatment would really help.

This is something I keep suggesting without result; Maybe it is a stupid suggestion but I sincerely don't think so.

Cheers Dan

Hello John,

I have read that you are making the whole world at ORBX ,would there be a chance that i could buy Japan on its own from the package when it comes out,

I am using your PNW at the moment and if your scenery is as good as that then Japan would be great,

I am only asking John as at the moment i fly in Japan most of the time using the FSX default scenery as i can't find anything better.

Thanks

Roger.

Archived