Working Clock at Felts Field?

wolfko

The big clock at Felts Field shows different times on various screenshots. So I guess it will borking, i. e.it will show the current sim-time. AFIK this will be the first time a thing like that will be modeled in a scenery.

Wolfgang

I just viewed the screenshots, too...

Okay, can we just cut through the red tape and anoint Jarrad an "Orbx GOD" right now? His scenery rendition of this area is gorgeous!

-Paul

I dont know about Orbx God but the bar as been raised with the amount of detail and rendering. For me personally, the last time the Orbx bar was raised was with YMMB.

It's not like we sometimes lose track of time while flight simmin'... ::)

When I saw the train(s) in the screenies, I immediately thought of the W16 Monroe Firstair scenery released not too long ago...

It'd be cool if the trains were animated at Felts, too... but I reckon the location at the other end of the track would have to be Orbxized as well.

Still... a beautifully rendered area! ... can't wait to get it. :-)

I agree Dean that each airport offers its own and all are great (my signature banner backs that statement up). My point was made more in the fact that seeing the detail of KSFF is beyond anything I've seen from Orbx. One of the shots just showcasing the power lines and roof top vents and such. That kind of attention to detail is just mind blowing. Add in the fact of the clock which looks like is should be just a texture but instead actually works with a shadow behind the hands and blends makes it look so real. the extra mile has certainly been traveled in making this scenery!!

I agree Dean that each airport offers its own and all are great (my signature banner backs that statement up). My point was made more in the fact that seeing the detail of KSFF is beyond anything I've seen from Orbx. One of the shots just showcasing the power lines and roof top vents and such. That kind of attention to detail is just mind blowing. Add in the fact of the clock which looks like is should be just a texture but instead actually works with a shadow behind the hands and blends makes it look so real. the extra mile has certainly been traveled in making this scenery!!

True... I fully agree. KSFF looks superb, and a credit to Jarrad.

Thanks guys for the very nice comments, rest assured I am burning the midnight oil (and then some!) adding a few final features to Spokane. Just to confirm (and dispel) what has been asked/said; yes the clock tower definitely tells the time, however it does only tell it in 5-min increments, (hopefully this should definitely be sufficient for everyone's needs :)). This was done purely to maintain my sanity, it proved much more palatable to cover 144 model permeations rather than 720. I should also point out that whilst the railyards will be there (as you can see from a couple of the promo screenshots), unfortunately the trains will not be animated. This was a conscious decision to keep performance high; I have spent a considerable portion of my development time on KSFF optimising the scenery to within an inch of it's life, and unfortunately there is a slightly larger performance penalty for animated models.

One of the shots just showcasing the power lines and roof top vents and such... Add in the fact of the clock which looks like is should be just a texture but instead actually works with a shadow behind the hands and blends makes it look so real.

Kilstorm, I am particularly chuffed to read these comments, the shadows on the clock hands were quite fiddly to get right, so I'm enormously appreciative of the fact you noticed :)

Expect some more screenshots coming up this weekend.

Thanks again,

Jarrad

G'day Ray,

The static aircraft are placed as part of the KSFF package (is that what you mean?), I have three options in the control panel; none, normal and very busy. I included a couple of screenshots of the landing area (including a custom C172 Float static just for this scenery) in my first batch of shots on Monday, to get an idea of the actual landing area compare the first of those shots with this photo. To be honest there is not a huge amount there besides the docks, but you do have a great short finals over the top of of the dam wall. Apparently it's not a hugely popular water runway as the river's current is quite strong.

Cheers,

Jarrad

G'day Ray,

The static aircraft are placed as part of the KSFF package (is that what you mean?), I have three options in the control panel; none, normal and very busy. I included a couple of screenshots of the landing area (including a custom C172 Float static just for this scenery) in my first batch of shots on Monday, to get an idea of the actual landing area compare the first of those shots with this photo. To be honest there is not a huge amount there besides the docks, but you do have a great short finals over the top of of the dam wall. Apparently it's not a hugely popular water runway as the river's current is quite strong.

Cheers,

Jarrad

Thanks Jarrad, that is what I was thinking. Yes, I saw the float plane tied up at the dock but wasn't sure exactly where was along the river. I am flying the cub on floats around the KSFF area now just to get familar with the layout. I'm hoping someone will add some military traffic to the area one day. The AFB is totally void of life in CRM.

Any chance of adding an Twin AeroCommander to the static/flight aircraft? Maybe AC560 or so.

My Turbo Baron is being built at KSFF by Rocket so I will be spending some time there in FSX for sure. Great looking package.

Regards,

Ray

Archived