High Flight

Adam Banks

Hey Adam cool picture. can i ask you something.

I've been looking at this OPUS program for me.

but ive been wondering whats the real weather like for little old NZ is it better than rexe

and will it do other airfields other than the main ones. it would be nice to have actual weather that it is outside.

Cheers Dazza.

@mikee - Yes - correct! - it's Alphasim/Virtavia's Hunter - and not bad at all!

@spok - OPUS? You must have been living in a cave for the last few weeks! :lol: YOur best bet is to do a search here on ORBX - quite a few topics running about it. In a nutshell, though, it's a combination of three separate utilities: A live weather engine, an active camera system (like EZDOK) and a vibration/turbulence system (like Accufeel). The weather engine will work with any texture system (REX, FEX, etc.). It makes a much better job in smoothing out the weather effects.

@Dazza32 - Difficult one to answer, as my old REX seemed to work fine for NZ, but since the upgrade to REXE, I'm finding REXW to be pretty chronic. It either gets the weather totally wrong, or just doesn't create any at all. I live in Auckland (where there is METAR data) so I can compare FSX to what I see out of the window.

So ... I have to try and compare OPUS with what REX *used* to be like. I've already forgotten :(. What I *can* say, however, is that OPUS seems to get it right more often than not - and seems to create better transitions. The developers at OPUS are really steaming along with it - with updates (to the current beta) coming almost daily, not just tweaking things but adding new features all the time. They're in active discussions with us poor users all the time on their forum. It's all very encouraging.

Anyway - to cut a long story short - grab the demo. It's fully functional, but only works for 10 mins at a time (enough to make your mind up, I'm sure!). It's a tiny download and dead easy to set up. I'm 99% sure that you'll end up buying it!

Very nice shots Adam, really like those cirrus clouds.. what set are you using there?

So, I think I will chime in on the Opus thing..

In a word or two... Absolutly amazing, the best weather engine there has ever been.. If you want clouds, and lots of them in the right places, then Opus is for you. If you want proper overcast and reduced vis.. even when on finals.. opus is for you.

Also, I hear Opus gives the best weather for NZ, although NZ is lacking the metars, but Opus are working on this and will have it all fixed in no time Im sure.

Well, the weather engine alone is worth every penny, dime or whatever it is. It loads weather right away, no waiting for ages to download. It injects the weather smoothly and none of that flashing you get with other weather engines. No weather that follows you.. you can see it in the distance and fly to it, it will still be there, fly away from it and it fades into the distance.

And the cameras too, it does all that EZDOK does but better and easier to set up.

I also have Opus so it starts automatically with my sim, so you can get straight to it without having to open up all these different apps to finally get to fly.

I guarentee anyone who gets Opus, you will not be disapointed.. you can even try the free demo and when you do buy, they will give you your money back if youre not happy with it.

And finally, their support is like no other.. the best there is. None of this ticket system, they get straight back to you, and work with you. So if you have any suggestions, they may include these in a beta for you to try and activly take part in the developement stage.

Have a look at their website and forums :)

Thanks, fiftysix, for filling in the blanks! I agree with everything you say - except for the EZDOK comparison. *At the moment*, EZDOK's camera system is way better. It allows live panning, button view switching. Once you get the hang of it, it's brilliant. I also like EZDOK's DHM (Dynamic Head Movement, to the uninitiated!) ... very powerful and very configurable, but maybe a bit of a pig to set up.

At the moment, the active weather part of OPUS is all I'm using - and it's worth it for that alone. From the (excellent) feedback on the OPUS site, it appears that all the features I'm currently using in EZDOK will be implemented in OPUS (and quite soon, at the rate they're going!). Put simpley - EZDOK's loss is OPUS's gain. Development of EZDOK seems to have stalled a year or two ago.

Ooops - forgot about the REX settings. I'll take a look and post them!

OK ... here's a brain teaser for you knowledgeable folks ...

I was trying to export my REX(E) settings so I could post them here - thinking it'd be sort text-readable config file, but I can't work out where REX stores them (other than maybe in an internal database file). I then tried the "Share" option and it uploaded them to the REX site ... but where/how can we access them?

@mikee - Yes - correct! - it's Alphasim/Virtavia's Hunter - and not bad at all!

@spok - OPUS? You must have been living in a cave for the last few weeks! :lol: YOur best bet is to do a search here on ORBX - quite a few topics running about it. In a nutshell, though, it's a combination of three separate utilities: A live weather engine, an active camera system (like EZDOK) and a vibration/turbulence system (like Accufeel). The weather engine will work with any texture system (REX, FEX, etc.). It makes a much better job in smoothing out the weather effects.

@Dazza32 - Difficult one to answer, as my old REX seemed to work fine for NZ, but since the upgrade to REXE, I'm finding REXW to be pretty chronic. It either gets the weather totally wrong, or just doesn't create any at all. I live in Auckland (where there is METAR data) so I can compare FSX to what I see out of the window.

So ... I have to try and compare OPUS with what REX *used* to be like. I've already forgotten :(. What I *can* say, however, is that OPUS seems to get it right more often than not - and seems to create better transitions. The developers at OPUS are really steaming along with it - with updates (to the current beta) coming almost daily, not just tweaking things but adding new features all the time. They're in active discussions with us poor users all the time on their forum. It's all very encouraging.

Anyway - to cut a long story short - grab the demo. It's fully functional, but only works for 10 mins at a time (enough to make your mind up, I'm sure!). It's a tiny download and dead easy to set up. I'm 99% sure that you'll end up buying it!

Very nice shots Adam, really like those cirrus clouds.. what set are you using there?

So, I think I will chime in on the Opus thing..

In a word or two... Absolutly amazing, the best weather engine there has ever been.. If you want clouds, and lots of them in the right places, then Opus is for you. If you want proper overcast and reduced vis.. even when on finals.. opus is for you.

Also, I hear Opus gives the best weather for NZ, although NZ is lacking the metars, but Opus are working on this and will have it all fixed in no time Im sure.

Well, the weather engine alone is worth every penny, dime or whatever it is. It loads weather right away, no waiting for ages to download. It injects the weather smoothly and none of that flashing you get with other weather engines. No weather that follows you.. you can see it in the distance and fly to it, it will still be there, fly away from it and it fades into the distance.

And the cameras too, it does all that EZDOK does but better and easier to set up.

I also have Opus so it starts automatically with my sim, so you can get straight to it without having to open up all these different apps to finally get to fly.

I guarentee anyone who gets Opus, you will not be disapointed.. you can even try the free demo and when you do buy, they will give you your money back if youre not happy with it.

And finally, their support is like no other.. the best there is. None of this ticket system, they get straight back to you, and work with you. So if you have any suggestions, they may include these in a beta for you to try and activly take part in the developement stage.

Have a look at their website and forums :)

Hey thank you both for explaining about OPUS.

Looks like i need to purchase it now with my new computer witch makes fsx hum not a slide show as it has been :lol:

I didn't know what i was missing.

Cheers Dazza.

Archived