Any advice for a New Zealand South Island Virgin?

DexyRed

Hi there, I bought NZSI during the last sale and I'm just getting around now to exploring it. I have never been to New Zealand, either really or virtually, so I am on virgin territory here. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer me any advice, tips, insight, guidance or even an itinerary for where to go and what to see there? Are there any points of particular interest or any particularly cool or interesting airports to fly into? I will be starting from Christchurch in the Lancair IV-P. Many thanks!

Hi Derrick,

The best plan is to get yourself a map of the SI and fly from that. There are too many beautiful airports to list here as the devs have made a magnificent job of accurately depicting each and every airport and the scenery between. The whole area is picture perfect and you can virtually say you have been to the SI of NZ. But to give you a start the following may help you. Nelson, Westport, Greymouth, Queenstown no, I'm sorry Derrick, there really are to many to mention, and don't forget the Chatham Island which are some 400 miles east of Christchurch, and Stewart Island which is about 15 miles off the coast of Invercargill

When you think youv'e seen the best then another pop's up.

Sit back and enjoy, GL

Regards,

Jim.

Hi Derrick,

The best plan is to get yourself a map of the SI and fly from that. There are too many beautiful airports to list here as the devs have made a magnificent job of accurately depicting each and every airport and the scenery between. The whole area is picture perfect and you can virtually say you have been to the SI of NZ. But to give you a start the following may help you. Nelson, Westport, Greymouth, Queenstown no, I'm sorry Derrick, there really are to many to mention, and don't forget the Chatham Island which are some 400 miles east of Christchurch, and Stewart Island which is about 15 miles off the coast of Invercargill

When you think youv'e seen the best then another pop's up.

Sit back and enjoy, GL

Regards,

Jim.

amen also explore Milford Sound absolutely stunting in real life and very nice with ftx

I think it depends on what type of terrain you like. I was worried that I wouldnt like the South Island at first because I couldnt find much of my type of terrain (rolling reen hills) but then I discovered Invercargill and I went up to Dunedin one day at sunset and that was great. Invercargill south to the island or west to the mountains and then north along the river is good.

Also, there is a large airport on a bay at the north end of the south island. Fly from there towards greymouth...keeping as low altitude as you can...fly through th emountains along rivers where you can.

You'll have to climb up and over at some point but Grey mouth is a fantastic place -- try it at sunrise.

I think Greymouth is what Im thinking of. It sits on a small inlet river on the west coast about half way down. OK...yes...fly from Nelson to GreyMouth keeping as low as you can and then check out GreyMouth at dawn.

If you like green rolling hills - get the North Island as well. (and PNW)

Archived