Advice for a joystick

AndreaD

If you don't want to spend megabucks but still have a good stick with separate throttle function and some programmable swiches have look at the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X-Flight stick.

I purchased one from Amazon last year and find it brilliant and at about $ 47.00 is value for money. As Rockliffe says the Warthog is a brilliant stick but for me as a casual user it has too many functions and at $430.00 a bit much for the use that I would have.

I agree Teecee, fellas, my last stick was the Saitek x52 pro and out of all the less expensive sticks this IMO is probably one of the few to consider, although personally I found it's movements far too sloppy.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Saitek X52 Pro, but recently bought Thrustmaster T16000M as a gift for someone, I liked the accuracy of it but found the top hat switch was sited to high for my small hands

I really like my 16000M, but the one issue I've found is that after a couple of years (of regular and hard use) it will lose center and won't recenter well with calibration. Still, it's perhaps the most accurate stick I've ever used and the price is good. Fantastic for flying helicopters.

I'd recommend three joysticks based on experience, both using them and selling them to customers.

1. TM Hotas Warthog - costs a bagload of cash but you also get a lot for that money. Certainly worth it if you can afford it.

2. Saitek X-52 Pro - These are popular and about half the cost of the Warthog. Well made, very low rate of failure or issues reported with them.

3. Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro - Budget joystick with a twist grip handle for rudder control. I have used one for many years with no problems. Main advantage is that it is compact and can be added and removed from your desk quickly and easily.

The CH Joysticks are also very reliable and the CombatStick would be my choice for those - These are better suited to permanent flight deck/cockpit setups IMO however.

What do people think about the Saitek PRO Flight X-65F?

My understanding is that simmers having it are fairly evenly split, either loving or hating it. Personally, am loving it.

It likely goes without saying that it does takes some getting used to. Was still thinking on the first day that I may have

made a mistake, though by day 3 it was really growing on me & by week's end the X-65F along with the Saitek combat

pedals had won me over in a big way. Before this my hotas was the X-52Pro & it was pretty good, though as Howard

mentions there was a bit too much "slop" in it for my taste as well.

Kind of a lightning rod though, being metal, as with the Thrustmaster Warthog. Have a grounding pad by your rig & disipline

yourself to shed any static electricity.

Archived