Lest we forget

boetie

A tribute to the memory of the ANZACs

by M. Kemal Atatürk, 1934

(Founder of the Turkish Republic in 1923)

THE ANZAC MEMORIAL

Those heroes that shed their blood And lost their lives...

You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.

Therefore, rest in peace.

There is no difference between the Johnnies

And the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side,

Here in this country of ours.

You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries...

Wipe away your tears.

Your sons are now lying in our bosom And are in peace.

After having lost their lives on this land, they have

Become our sons as well.

having visited the dardenals & seen this tribute ian posted outside the cemetry gates it makes you realise how lucky we are not to have been involved.

the visit was very very moving & the memory will stay with me foever.

cheers to the anzacs.

regards.

A few years ago in the Virtualvfr days, we used to complete a memorial flight on-line from various airfields in Turkey, depending upon which aircraft you flew, so that all would arrive over Gallipoli at abouit the same time. Perhaps next year??

My wife and I visitied Gallipoli a few years ago and I was surprised at my own emotional reaction reading the ages of the young men who lost their lives. Also, various pictures of the young Turkish men who also lost their lives effected me too and are also to be remembered and honoured.

That is what Anzac day is about, not glorifying war or celebrating a victory (the allies were soundly defeated) but solely to remember the sacrifices on all sides.

Dan

A few years ago in the Virtualvfr days, we used to complete a memorial flight on-line from various airfields in Turkey, depending upon which aircraft you flew, so that all would arrive over Gallipoli at abouit the same time. Perhaps next year??

My wife and I visitied Gallipoli a few years ago and I was surprised at my own emotional reaction reading the ages of the young men who lost their lives. Also, various pictures of the young Turkish men who also lost their lives effected me too and are also to be remembered and honoured.

That is what Anzac day is about, not glorifying war or celebrating a victory (the allies were soundly defeated) but solely to remember the sacrifices on all sides.

Dan

This sounds like a great and moving event.

Lest We Forget

Good to see everyone out today although its been a long one. Played at the dawn service in Salisbury then in the march in Adelaide followed by the street party afterwards.

Lest we forget...

Archived