The Hobbit

Thanks for this... I'm quite looking forward too it, as a one time massive Tolkienphile... got mad into LOTR when I was sixteen (I collected everything I could) and have had a soft spot for the books ever since, though its been a while since I read one. I wasn't too keen on the film treatment personally, though they had their moments of brilliance, and I'm sure this will be the same... I think when you've loved a book, the film can never some close to capturing the images in your head.

One major disappointment is Martin Freeman as Bilbo... he was fine in The Office, but he is pretty much the same in everything he does, and I find him really boring to watch... lacking charisma.

The video blogs Jackson has put while making this are really interesting and well worth checking out http://www.youtube.c...=6e-3i1ploR4... the camera tech is amazing, with the actual capture units being tiny [with 5k resolution at 48fps].. http://www.technolog...ss/39225/page2/

Love Alan Lee's concept art too... He's another Dartmoor artist, and you can see this coming through in the imagery at times.

I read The Hobbit and the LOTR Trilogy twice in the 70's. Haven't seen the movies yet because as Mark said, I'm afraid the movie images won't live up to my imaginary ones! Great story.

I have to admit, the movies do miss some story, but to be honest, if you watch the extended editions (how can you extend an already 3.2 hour marathon for EACH movie? You add another 0.8 of material! for each!) they are very close to the books. I have the extended editions of the 3 LOTR movies... I love them all. I would recommend them 100% (but make sure it's the extended version). Hell, I'm in Redding myself... I'll loan them to you!

I just hope they give the same "extended" treatment to The Hobbit when it gets it's DVD release...

I read The Hobbit and the LOTR Trilogy twice in the 70's. Haven't seen the movies yet because as Mark said, I'm afraid the movie images won't live up to my imaginary ones! Great story.

So did I and I was 7 the first time, I didnt understand half the words but I read it anyways. I totallly understand how you feel, however, when I seen the Felowship of the Ring I literally cried. Ever since I was 7 I wonderd how or if these incredible books could even be put on film. BUT that year StarWars came out and now our imaginations ran wild. Anyways, the imagery I will only compare to Leonardo Davinci's paintings and the costumes, location, director, I mean wow. Put your conceaved notions away Smoke a fatty and watch. You will miss somethings like TomBombadill, or the they didnt delve into the gifts that Galadriel gave each member.(there were more in the books) but you dont miss it so much because you're mind will be filled with images that brings the books to life when you read it the first time. GO RENT, BUY, or whatever.

Archived