Skyrim Anyone?

Mark Abdey

Not sure if this will interest many here, but I have been loving Skyrim [released on the 11th Nov], which is the latest title in the 'Elder Scrolls' fantasy role playing game series [think Tolkien etc]. It gives you a vast land to explore with a main storyline (involving Dragons) along with many smaller quests to carry out on the side. The landscape is varied and beautifully detailed [alive with forna, flora and broad geographical variation], with the ability to go almost anywhere, within reason.

Like FSX it needs a bit of tweaking, has a vast and often moaning user-base ;D ... but also has many people who add depth, by modding textures, features and gameplay, to keep the game alive beyond the developers scope.

You might not be able to fly, but I'm loving it.

A few pics of the amazing landscapes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll admit I've lost too many hours of work to liberating Skyrim. Level 21 already!

Oh dear... Orbx development threatened by Skyrim. Perhaps John had better ban the team from playing until they get their work done >:D

I am at a lowly level 5 :unsure: but I'm having a great time exploring the land, just taking it all in... got some nice texture mods for the trees and water... and some nicer women [but don't tell the wife ^-^ ]

Heh heh for the record most of the time I play is 'dead time' anyways. Waiting on compilers, installers, uploading. Might as well make some fun out of it :)

And who can really resist once they've jumped on top of an ice dragon and shot flames from their hands to bring it down?

Heh heh for the record most of the time I play is 'dead time' anyways. Waiting on compilers, installers, uploading. Might as well make some fun out of it :)

Do you really expect people to believe that?... Ah, I get it, just in case the boss is looking eh? :lol:

And who can really resist once they've jumped on top of an ice dragon and shot flames from their hands to bring it down?

No one in their right mind... this is epic stuff 8)

What's FSX again? ^-^

Do you really expect people to believe that?... Ah, I get it, just in case the boss is looking eh? :lol:

You'd be surprised how long these guys have to wait for compiling, uploading, etc. Hours and hours. In fact, one of the developers here mentioned that it took up to 8 hours for compiling his last project after every change to it!

My sons are playing it on 360 and I installed the PC version via Steam, but as Tim said it is "shelfware" for me until we are done with this busy release period.

That said, immensely looking forward to playing it since I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan :)

TES is very much like FSX though : an aging engine which fans spend more time tweaking than playing LOL!

I definitely agree with Tim and JV on having to wait till after the holidays to enjoy this great looking game. I was told once I start it's going to be hard to put down and have tons of final exams and presentations in my classes this semester to finish up. But after I'm done with that, I'll be loading up that game for sure. :)

A) can you fly the dragons/ B) You might enjoy David Weber's fantasy Novels HELL'S GATE nad HELL HATH NO FURY, Sequel next year, has Flyable dragons which are part of the Arcanian Airforce (along with Strike Griffons)

A) can you fly the dragons/ 8) You might enjoy David Weber's fantasy Novels HELL'S GATE nad HELL HATH NO FURY, Sequel next year, has Flyable dragons which are part of the Arcanian Airforce (along with Strike Griffons)

Sadly you cannot fly the dragons, maybe someone should make a Skyrim dragon to fly in FSX... other than Tolkien the only fantasy I've have read is Robert Holdstock, who's written some great stuff.

TES is very much like FSX though : an aging engine which fans spend more time tweaking than playing LOL!

Seems that way, despite the "new engine" claims before release, this is very much Gamebyro... having said that I've been lucky generally, with few hiccups and very good performance. The only tweaks I'm using is bTreesReceiveShadows=1 and bDrawLandShadows=1 in the SkrimPrefs and a wider field of view... otherwise its all stock.

You'd be surprised how long these guys have to wait for compiling, uploading, etc. Hours and hours. In fact, one of the developers here mentioned that it took up to 8 hours for compiling his last project after every change to it!

I know... really... just a little gentle teasing.

Now get back to work! :P

Posted Image

I think the 'console port' think is slightly overblown ;D ... owning both the PC and 360 [for my son] versions, the PC simply blows the console away, esp. with a few of the better texture mods.

Don't get me wrong, playing it with the tweaks on a 30" 2560x1600 display brings it to a surreal level. The 'console port' comment is referring to that spending $50 on a "PC game", I shouldn't have to go in an edit .ini files, or make any of the other tweaks. They should in fact be part of an "Advanced Display" menu within the game.

The simple size of the virtual world, and the freedom within it, is jaw dropping.

Graphics look fantastic question can you use Track IR5 sorry to ask this is the first time I am seeing some screenshoots . What is the game about . If you don't mind asking . Cheers Petr

This is very lazy of me, but due to the nature and complexity of Skyrim this is easier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrim hope this helps...

No idea about TIR but I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, playing it with the tweaks on a 30" 2560x1600 display brings it to a surreal level. The 'console port' comment is referring to that spending $50 on a "PC game", I shouldn't have to go in an edit .ini files, or make any of the other tweaks. They should in fact be part of an "Advanced Display" menu within the game.

The simple size of the virtual world, and the freedom within it, is jaw dropping.

Yeah I understand, but I think this game comes off better than other recent titles... at least we get a reasonably full set of options, though I do wish we could have a FOV slider. Apart from adding shadows to tress and FOV I've not found any ini setting that really did anything, esp. all the memory and cache values. One other thing I did tweak was the fSunShadowUpdateTime=0.0200 under [display] this defaults to 1.0000, and makes the sun/moon shadows jump to their next position, rather than do that odd shimmery thing.

What have you found useful?

My first character I created in TES3 Morrowind was called Mithrin. ;) I'm addicted to the TES games. My first character in any TES game always is a Bosmer named Mithrin. Currrently doing the Thieves Guild quests. ;)

Easy to lose track of time when playing games like these.

I reached level 52 in oblivion It is a time suck. for the longest time I was waiting for "elder scrolls 5" now I am like Meh....I know if I get it , and part of me wants too ...it will just take me away from flight sim.I could flight sim 24/7/7 so what with work and upcoming night classes i will probably wait until the re realease it with xtra content like they did with Oblivion, knights of the nine , shivering isles and stuff........but it is very comforting to know others share my secret obsession with TES :ph34r:

There are 1,000 mods for Skyrim already, most of which are awful Photoshop texture upscale and sharpen attempts. That water mod does look interesting though. The one mod worth monitoring is the new ENBSeries being worked on by its developer Boris Vorontsov, where he is adding a nice warmth to the color pallette and nice SSAO and HDR effects as well.

Well, that leads to the question if Orbx is going to make scenery for Skyrim lol

Now that would be branching out ^-^ ... but, I have to say its almost perfect already.

There are times when, for me, this is the best looking PC title ever... the landscape, the lighting, the atmospherics and some amazing architecture, come together at times to create truly epic scenes.

Approaching Winterhold as the sun was setting, was an awesome moment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that looks really great. The overall graphic quality is not that good in my opinion but they made the whole world very coherent and they did a phantastic atmosphere almost everywhere. Thats why I think it looks better than the most high end shooters.

Now that looks really great. The overall graphic quality is not that good in my opinion but they made the whole world very coherent and they did a phantastic atmosphere almost everywhere. Thats why I think it looks better than the most high end shooters.

Things can always be better of course... for me, some textures are poor, and the size of the terrain tiles is very small, so you can see repeating patterns at times... they could do with a few more assets, to give more variety, to trees, shrubs etc.... but it feels like nitpicking, in such a well realised, cohesive and plausible world. With all games, simulations included, you need you lose yourself a little, and not be distracted by the imperfections.... And I'm sure, given time, that we'll see some really good mods, to iron-out those wrinkles.

Archived