MASSIVE Omission...... ?

lateagain

RELAX guys :lol

Not about existing products. I have most of them ;-)

It's just that what you did for Oz and the Pacific NW region is already MANY times greater than the entire UK and IMHO what you've achieved beats "photoreal" scenery by a long way. We live in a 3D world and much as I love the detail that photo and satellite imagery has done for the webs mapping sites it just doesn't hack it for us "non-pressurised" Sim fans.

As a Train Sim fan for many years (before I bought FSX after my license lapsed) I'm a 10 year plus "Vet" of simulations and as such have posted on many forums that the one thing NO SIM can do (yet?) is provide "Historic" landscape. PhotoReal is frozen in time. Train Simulation is much more dependent on historical accuracy as it never leaves the ground. ORBX's "mix" of convincing textures and intelligent 3D objects is the best compromise I've seen yet.

WHY complain then?!

Simple.

You haven't done the UK ...yet?!

Having visited Oz and spent a memorable day flying with the regular "postie" to stations in Queensland from Cairns I have to say that I was delighted with my Oz scenery.

The Pacific North West makes me want to book a holiday there now.

So come on guys! You could "knock off" the UK quicker than adding states to the US and immediately grab the entire UK FS community?

CHILL my North American friends ;-) Of course we want to see more of the States and Canada ...and of course Mexico and all countries South too.

The UK is actually very small, but of course the scenery is much denser than most of the Globe, so together with developers who've already covered much of it you could surely enhance their efforts and make them a "Must Have" rather than the current compromise of Photoreal over 3 dimensional?

Geoff

Erm.... I already asked for Italy .... form a line please ...

There's already some excellent freeware scenery for parts of Italy and a good mesh, but not quite as detailed as the FTX stuff. No quarrels that it should be on the list though ;-)

I am flying to the UK next week for business meetings. You can probably guess what for :)

So what about a coffee here in my home region ? ;)

Wouldnt be nice to see the reactions on the forum if you are doing such a boring scenery like those I live in in a realistic manner :)

UK would be wonderful. I fly the area between Snowdonia and the lake District because it has reasonable PR cover. But giving it the Orbx treatment is a dream come true, so yes please John. Teecee.

PS: Thanks for raising this subject lateagain.

Well I was really blown away by John's response. With two VFR packages for the UK, both with pro's and cons (see you tube comparrison), but lacking that vital 3D element that becomes important to all of us "wannabe" bush pilots, I didn't really expect such a welcome and positive response.

BTW skkuda, with family in Ecuador I'm keen to see any South American Coverage too. I have an add-on for Ecuador and although it's a big improvement over FSX (what isn't?) as far as mesh and landclass it doesn't have the detail that such interesting terrain demands. Even so those who don't know it well might like to try some Quito http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariscal_Sucre_International_Airport take offs in some prop driven aircraft. Try an old DC3 or even just a 172. Not many airports require a start up where leaning the mixture is the only possible way to gain take off power and surrounded by mountains your slow climb out after a long take off roll becomes a white knuckle ride too.

Well with NZ in the wings I can be patient ;) and I'm sure the Kiwi members of the forum can recommend some interesting trips to keep us on the edge of our seats?

Geoff

Please don't do the UK. The world would not be the same if the poms had nothing to whinge about ::)

Come off it! the whole world knows that Australians invented whingeing! You just can't stand that we're sometimes better at it ........like most sport!

In any case what EVER makes you think we'd ever run out of things to whinge about :D :D . We do have 24 hour news here now you know?

Geoff

Come off it! the whole world knows that Australians invented whingeing! You just can't stand that we're sometimes better at it ........like most sport!

In any case what EVER makes you think we'd ever run out of things to whinge about :D :D . We do have 24 hour news here now you know?

Geoff

No, I won't have it. Whingeing was imported to this great land by the pommy migrants who couldn't find a decent chippy, couldn't find a luke warm beer and couldn't find a beach with sand grains no smaller than 3cm in diameter. :D

Nice, enjoy the flight. Don't fly QANTAS, if they go bankrupt you may not get back :}

That won't stop most people from enjoying a bargain. In canada we have an airline that goes bankrupt every two years, cancels all reserverations strands people. And yet people still buy tickets from them. ;)

No, via Doha to LHR with QATAR on a B777. Generally Aussies fly to Europe via Asia or the Middle East.

You gotta love those 777's. I flew on one a few weeks back from London to New York. Their engines have some serious thrust. A great experience.

I am flying to the UK next week for business meetings. You can probably guess what for :)

UK WOW !!

According to the dictionary the UK includes Northern Ireland, it would be awesome to have Northern Ireland covered as well, could do the Easyjet flights from Belfast to various UK destinations using UK2000 scenery, and the PMDG NGX.

Can you please include Northern Ireland, please, please, please.

Niall

UK WOW !!

According to the dictionary the UK includes Northern Ireland, it would be awesome to have Northern Ireland covered as well, could do the Easyjet flights from Belfast to various UK destinations using UK2000 scenery, and the PMDG NGX.

Can you please include Northern Ireland, please, please, please.

Niall

There's an old pilot saying about flying single engined over large bodies of water.... "Your engine doesn't know it's over water!"

Likewise having "Broken the surly bonds of earth...." borders mean little either ;) so putting the politics aside Eire/Ireland as a geographic area would be even better.

Arran island hopping in an Islander http://www.aerarannislands.ie/, Refuelling BA Airbus flights at Shannon en-route from London City to JFK and, for those who like historic destinations, Clippers from Foynes and Sunderlands from Castle Archdale on Lough Erne.

Geoff

There's an old pilot saying about flying single engined over large bodies of water.... "Your engine doesn't know it's over water!"

Likewise having "Broken the surly bonds of earth...." borders mean little either ;) so putting the politics aside Eire/Ireland as a geographic area would be even better.

Arran island hopping in an Islander http://www.aerarannislands.ie/, Refuelling BA Airbus flights at Shannon en-route from London City to JFK and, for those who like historic destinations, Clippers from Foynes and Sunderlands from Castle Archdale on Lough Erne.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I agree totally, the places you mention are stunning scenery wise.

I'm originally from Northern Ireland and now live in wonderful Australia. I love having Australia accurately represented by ORBX, still get the craving to fly around the old country also.

The UK scenery package will be amazing if/when it comes out, so come on JV, you might as well throw in the Island of Ireland as well, hint hint. :)

Cheers

Niall

John

Oh wow, you have made my day, so happy to hear that the North of Ireland will be included. I only fly in ORBX areas these days as the default FSX just does not cut it texture wise.

Must admit I miss GE PRO that covered the whole world in FS9.

Cheers

Niall

Hopefully, someone will, if not Orbx, will do an Orbx quality WW2 period airfield or two with these upcoming releases. Some of us enjoy flying our warbirds and it would be great to fly them out of a couple historically accurate airfields.

WooHoo - Norn Iron is coming! :mellow:

I'm originally from Belfast, now living in Switzerland, am absolutely over the moon to hear this news! Maybe you can incorporate SoccerFlow so we can watch Norn Iron hopelessly lose to all the small nations as we fly low and slow over Windsor Park !

Thanks ORBX!

Jack

UK is a perfect place for Orbx to do, it's a good size an island with clear boarders and very colourfull seasons.

The only problem is if you use real weather because it will be always overcast and very grey.

I think the ORBX weather environments will need some steroids?! Apart from grey there's the 4 seasons in one day phenomenum, the 180 degree wind change in short time frames amd of course the inevitable wet aprons and runways. Then of course there's the Clear Blue Sky takeoffs tha'll be Cat III landings only 100 miles (or less) away!

Geoff

Trust me, the airfields potential in the UK is off the charts, and no doubt you will be enjoying some from Orbx in the years to come.

Oh yes, at last :) I'm glad that someone has seen the potential for UK GA airfields with the orbx touch :) I know I'm probably on to a loser here, but could you possibly give us even a rough idea of what kind of timescales we'll be looking at for scenery to start making its way to us please? :D

Cheers

kevin

Yeah, this news really grabs my attention -- and I don't even live there! It's just that from what limited FS experience I've had there so-far, the UK seems to be a very nice place to fly in, and I find myself returning quite often.

So I just imagine what it'd look like with the Orbx treatment, and I know I'll be right there with my plastic when the time comes. It'll be my third FS home after the Wet Coast and Oz.

There are many small, and very historic airfields in the UK, which would look terrific in Orbx. One of those being Old Warden, home of the Shuttleworth Collection. It's where the DH88 was rebuilt, and now houses the only flying Gloster Gladiator in the world.

I highly recommend a visit.

Archived