Southern Border of NCA

raymar99

I was just looking at John's color map overlay on the Google Earth map showing the projected new areas. Realizing there is still at lot of work to be done and thing aren't final til they're final, but, where is the planned southern line of NCA? Somewhere around San Jose or Modesto, generally?

I am hoping we will be able to fly from KSFO to KPDX and be within the two ORBX areas.

Thanks,

Ray

Hi Ray,

current plans are for a southern boundary at about N36.5 degrees, which is just south of Monterey, Salinas, and Fresno.

Cheers, Holger

Excellent. Thanks Holger, I appreciate the info.

Ray

Hi Ray,

current plans are for a southern boundary at about N36.5 degrees, which is just south of Monterey, Salinas, and Fresno.

Cheers, Holger

I was playing around with the gross data last night and I came up with this as a first shot. I might be half a state off in places, but it gives an idea of the scope of the scenery and how much space is left to do. LOTS. The Google Earth files are great but I wasn't paying enough attention to geography in class (girls and geography showed up about the same time) and I can't seem to get an overlay for the major cities.

Ray

Posted Image

Hi Ray,

Cheers, Holger

That's perfect! This is really great news. Hope there's no change.

It would be interesting to see KVNY included one of these days. It is one of the busiet airports in the world. Departure and arrival approx every 45 second. I hop that will be included when orbx extends south more!

It would be interesting to see KVNY included one of these days. It is one of the busiet airports in the world. Departure and arrival approx every 45 second. I hop that will be included when orbx extends south more!

Yep, 16R would be a fun place to fly in SCA.

RAY

KVNY, Is that the place that was featured in that doco 'one six right'?

It is available full length online someplace. I watch it sometimes while on long flights. Made by an amateur using apple equipment. Neat.

Ray

OK, so from the map it looks like after NCA and SRM are released the next logical release would be SCRM (South Central Rocky Mountains) to fill in the gap between NCA and SRM, and then Southern California and east through Arizona and New Mexico (or SCANM) to the Texas pan handle.

Hi guys,

I was playing around with the gross data last night and I came up with this as a first shot. I might be half a state off in places, but it gives an idea of the scope of the scenery and how much space is left to do. LOTS. The Google Earth files are great but I wasn't paying enough attention to geography in class (girls and geography showed up about the same time) and I can't seem to get an overlay for the major cities.

Ray

Here's a more accurate map using a direct import of our kmz files into Google Maps. Again though the boundaries of our Southern Rockies (SRM, in blue-green) and Northern California (NCA, in purple) projects aren't fixed yet. Also, the order and timing of release remains in flux though the current plan is to release NCA before SRM.

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-94939800-1307819961_thumb.jpg

Good choice - NCA before SRM

Hi guys,

Here's a more accurate map using a direct import of our kmz files into Google Maps. Again though the boundaries of our Southern Rockies (SRM, in blue-green) and Northern California (NCA, in purple) projects aren't fixed yet. Also, the order and timing of release remains in flux though the current plan is to release NCA before SRM.

Cheers, Holger

Hi guys,

Cheers, Holger

Excellent. Thanks Holger for taking the time to make the more accurate map for us map lovers. I'm looking forward to both the San Francisco Bay area and also the Garden of the Gods and some of the golf courses around the Colorado Springs area. So for me, the priority of release is a toss-up.

Also, the Air Force academy should standout in the scenery. I have some fond memories there - mostly when Navy beat Air Force in football.

Ray

Ray

Excellent. Thanks Holger for taking the time to make the more accurate map for us map lovers. I'm looking forward to both the San Francisco Bay area and also the Garden of the Gods and some of the golf courses around the Colorado Springs area. So for me, the priority of release is a toss-up.

Also, the Air Force academy should standout in the scenery. I have some fond memories there - mostly when Navy beat Air Force in football.

Ray

Ray

Ray, just this last May I was in Colorado Springs for almost a month. I went to Garden of the Gods a few times, and explored it from many different means, to inlcude cycling (on the road), running and hiking. Tremendous scenery indeed! I would love to see it from the air, even if only the virtual air :) I also spent a great deal of time cycling at the Air Force Academy, as I was in an actual cycling race there. In fact, we started and finished at the football stadium. Lots of hills at that academy, lots of hills....

Cheers,

Sniper31

Ray, just this last May I was in Colorado Springs for almost a month. I went to Garden of the Gods a few times, and explored it from many different means, to inlcude cycling (on the road), running and hiking. Tremendous scenery indeed! I would love to see it from the air, even if only the virtual air :) I also spent a great deal of time cycling at the Air Force Academy, as I was in an actual cycling race there. In fact, we started and finished at the football stadium. Lots of hills at that academy, lots of hills....

Cheers,

Sniper31

Yes, the area abounds in great scenery, all at a fairly high elevation. Sounds like a very enjoyable trip.

Ray

OOO! This is great! Getting so close to SoCal, where I live in Ventura County. This is gonna be so awesome! BTW, is Lake Tahoe part of Orbx NorCal? It looks as if parts of CA are cutoff from NorCal, so is it included, or will it be part of Orbx: NV?

Hi guys,

Here's a more accurate map using a direct import of our kmz files into Google Maps.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger, but why can't I see the other KMZ files in google maps. When viewing a FTX google earth map one of the options is to view in google maps. When I click that option, the google map of the US comes up but nothing is marked for the FTX area. Am I missing a step someplace? I would like to see an accurate map of the original PNW and the NRM like the one you just posted earlier - in google maps rather than google earth. Do I have the KMZ file buried someplace with the scenery files? Thanks.

Ray

Hi Ray,

the only way I know of to load kmz files into Google Maps is by copying a valid URL into the Google Maps search window. That requires that the kmz file isn't on your hard drive but rather on an accessible website. I've made that map above by uploading the kmz onto my ftp server but any public site should do as well.

In other words you don't start with Google Earth but http://maps.google.com

Cheers, Holger

Hi Ray,

the only way I know of to load kmz files into Google Maps is by copying a valid URL into the Google Maps search window. That requires that the kmz file isn't on your hard drive but rather on an accessible website. I've made that map above by uploading the kmz onto my ftp server but any public site should do as well.

In other words you don't start with Google Earth but http://maps.google.com

Cheers, Holger

Any chance you could place those KMZ on maybe the FlightSimStore site so we can view them in google maps? Thanks. I can't figure out how to get rid of the weather layer of google earth. Every time I want to view the KMZ the area is full of thunderstorms and they cover up the FTX airport data and boundary lines. :blink:

Thanks.

Ray

• 2 months later...

I am (and have been) seriously looking forward to the California release. I really enjoyed the San Fran area even in default FSX and Ive been by Monterrey several times.

Holger - I really hope Monterry gets included because that little mountain/bay/airport/small city area is just plain nice and really needs the FTX treatment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Let it come, I'll cope with any geographic limitations. And Holger, many posts back you mentioned geography and girls came at the same time - so geography suffered. However I always saw them both as a form of comparative study. Grand Tetons indeed!

Archived