Which PNW Airport to buy?

wolfko

I have bought Israel’s Farm a couple of days ago and I think I'll grab 1 o r 2 more of the PNW airports from the fantastic sale at FSS.

What do you reckon, which of them are the easiest on FPS? That’s important to me, considering my rather ancient system specs.

Thanks, Wolfgang

Well Wolfgang, there are only a handful to choose from and IMO are all pretty good on framerates. One of my favourites and I think probably many others also share my choice, is Walter Sutton's WA79. Another favourite is Darrington 1S2. No doubt you will get a flood of guys offering their opinions, it will be nice to see which one comes out tops! Oh, if you haven't already got it, don't forget to download Vashon 2S1, it's a freebee from JV and the guys! :D

Guest J van E

As far as performance goes, the Orbx PNW airports are pretty much the same. If I do get stutters, it usually is at Darrington, though... somehow it seems to be a bit heavier.

My favorites are Concrete and Orcas Island. Yes, everyone has its own taste and preference. ;)

As far as performance goes, the Orbx PNW airports are pretty much the same. If I do get stutters, it usually is at Darrington, though... somehow it seems to be a bit heavier.

My favorites are Concrete and Orcas Island. Yes, everyone has its own taste and preference. ;)

Oop, duurgh, sorry, how could I forgot Orcas KORS :-\

The airport offerings are pretty diverse, with the exception of not having a large International Airport yet. It all depends on where you want to fly!

If you want to fly near Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens in the southern end of the Cascades, then WA79 is for you.

If you want to fly in the beautiful northern Puget Sound and love island hopping, then KORS is for you.

If you want to fly in the middle of the Cascades and love mountain flying, then 1S2 and 3W5 are perfect choices.

If you want to fly in the Portland area, with the coast and the Columbia River Gorge an equal distance away, then 7S3 is a good choice.

If you want to explore the Olympic Peninsula then pre-order KCMW, it's the perfect starting point.

The airport offerings are pretty diverse, with the exception of not having a large International Airport yet. It all depends on where you want to fly!

If you want to fly near Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens in the southern end of the Cascades, then WA79 is for you.

If you want to fly in the beautiful northern Puget Sound and love island hopping, then KORS is for you.

If you want to fly in the middle of the Cascades and love mountain flying, then 1S2 and 3W5 are perfect choices.

If you want to fly in the Portland area, with the coast and the Columbia River Gorge an equal distance away, then 7S3 is a good choice.

If you want to explore the Olympic Peninsula then pre-order KCMW, it's the perfect starting point.

Nicely put Phil...

Hi - Just got Orcas - really amazing and it includes 3 landing areas in the package (Kors, Clam Harbor, Rosario - seaplanes ) - great peopleflow at each. Also they are located in a most beautiful area which I've found to be easier on FPS than some others. Good luck. Howard

I think they're all good.

I probably use KORS the most at the moment though, especially if you download the free nearby OzX strips.

Yes, but I experienced OZx NA as a framereate killer when flying at KORS.

You should decide whether you want the best FPS or the OZx strips around KORS. My system is not the most powerful so I don't use OZx when I'm there.

one word, at those prices . ALL

to not buy any single one of them would be a mistake.

You will enjoy them all and expand your FTX world, sorry to sound like an add for Orbx , but I waited years for someone to bring out good scenery and now that it's here, I'm not letting any of it slip by.

good luck with whatever you get, it's a no brainer

cheers

Ken

Hi Guys,

Many thanks to everyone for providing his suggestion! I think, I'll jump and buy all of them. I have already bought Concrete and I'm currently downloading KORS. I'm not sure about Twin Oaks though. I currently get only around 15 - 17 FPS at the default Twin Oaks which comes with PNW Blue, because of its proximity to Portland. Which is a pity, because Bill's Twin Oaks looks fantastic on the screenshots and videos.

Wolfgang

Guest J van E

Hi Guys,

Many thanks to everyone for providing his suggestion! I think, I'll jump and buy all of them. I have already bought Concrete and I'm currently downloading KORS. I'm not sure about Twin Oaks though. I currently get only around 15 - 17 FPS at the default Twin Oaks which comes with PNW Blue, because of its proximity to Portland. Which is a pity, because Bill's Twin Oaks looks fantastic on the screenshots and videos.

Wolfgang

In all honesty: I am not a fan of Twin Oaks, but 1. at these prices it would be a shame not to get it (even I would have bought it at THESE prices if I didn't have it yet ;D ) and 2. I doubt if fps will get a lot lower with Twin Oaks installed. Portland has a big impact on fps but I don't have the feeling Twin Oaks itself is very heavy on the system. You still might get 15-17 there WITH Twin Oaks...! (And if you don't, turning off some options using the control panel will certainly help). And if you don't get any useful performance no matter what, it's still nice to have the airport for this price, ready and waiting for when you are ready to buy a new system. ;)

A great trick for Stark's is to set the TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL= to somewhere between 500-700. This helps reduce the amount of Autogen buildings up North in Portland and Hillsboro, but retains the beauty of Stark's as most of the surrounding buildings in the PR area are not Autogen.

I finally bought them all! Missed the additional 12 % FSS sale for the last 3 downloads though, I thought it would end today but it ended yesterday. But what the heck...

And now to the fun part! :D

Thanks again to all of you!

Cheers Wolfgang

GREAT purchase to buy them all ... I got them via prepay so I paid full price for them ... and love each and every one ... Some times I enjoy just a quick flight from Concrete to Darrington ... where I think that I am bringing workers in for the day ... then at night I fly them back ... Darrington is a tough airport to find and land at ...

The new People flow at these airports are dynamic as I go back to the very old 1983 days of black screens with grey runways ...

Hope you enjoy your purchases

Archived