What will be your first flight in Pacific Fjords?

hughp

I'm gonna put a load of camping gear in my Cub, start at Tsuniah Creek, and disappear for a month  ;D I'll just fly and fly, and stop anywhere I can over night. Pitch the tent, catch me some fish, and then start all over again the next day.

Useful to have a few suggestions from those in-the-know  ;)

SO, for ultimate eyecandy, where would be the best starting point - subjective I know.

Well if you must know, my base in PFJ was Stewart. I even planted lots of extra grass there last week ;)

Of course I can't wait for Russ White's PAKT, but that's not until mid next year sadly.

Hi guys,

let's see: the most spectacular mountain valley locations are definitely Stewart or Bella Coola (Stewart and nearby Hyder have seaplane docks too) or, for choppers, Kemano.

However, a long approach from the east is very scenic as well because you have a few old volcanoes poking out of the plateaus before reaching the dramatic Coast Ranges. A northern route would be Vanderhoof - Burns Lake - Smithers - Woodcock - Terrace - Prince Rupert or a southern route Puntzi Mountain - Anahim Lake - Bella Coola - Bella Bella.

Probably my favorite area is the southern Tweedsmuir Park  between Bella Coola and Anahim Lake but PFJ has lots of scenic places that even I haven't seen yet  8)

I will probably start from Port Alberni to flight to Squamish in a cessna  ;)

Not sure if that smiley indicates a cheeky response but neither of those places is in PFJ  ;)

Cheers, Holger

Useful to have a few suggestions from those in-the-know  ;)

SO, for ultimate eyecandy, where would be the best starting point - subjective I know.

Well if you must know, my base in PFJ was Stewart. I even planted lots of extra grass there last week ;)

Of course I can't wait for Russ White's PAKT, but that's not until mid next year sadly.

Then I shall head of to mow your grass with my prop a little later  ;)

Congrats with the release  :)

edit: thanks ;) for the additional locations Holger - obviously no shortage of places to enjoy.

First flight will YVR to Prince Rupert, flew up years ago in a BAe 146 or Air Canada (I think). I remember looking at the flight details and noted a request to showup 1 1/2 hours early for return flight, at the downtown checkin. I thought this is odd, 20 minutes early at YVR is ok (this is the good old days). Had not realised that the airport is on an island, accessible by ferry only. Went in December, close to Christmas, so typical weather, didn't see a thing on the way up, Rupert is famous for being in a perpetual overcast low! However it snowed (about a foot) overnight for me, the sky cleared, and it was absolutely beautiful. YVR to Terrace in a 737, those flights are famous for descending in to Terrace, not making minimums, maybe a retry, and then on to Smithers. Listening to the groans of fellow passengers, being told that they would be bussed back to Terrace! Looking forward to this one.

Aerosoft's West Coast Twin Otter from Vancouver Harbour to Bella Bella then beyond.  Only 30 minutes until I am in heaven.  PNW, PFJ and Tongass Fjords is going to be great.  Now I can't wait until the final masterpiece Northern Rocky Mountains is released.

Tom B.

Archived