BackWoodStudios release EGDW (GB-0201) Glenswinton Aerodrome for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

6662b863215f7.jpg

BackWoodStudios release EGDW Glenswinton Aerodrome for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

EGDW (GB-0201) Glenswinton Aerodrome

Glenswinton Aerodrome is a small, privately owned airstrip nestled in the picturesque countryside of the UK and caters to both recreational and light aviation activities. Situated amidst rolling green hills, it offers a serene and scenic backdrop for flying enthusiasts.

Glenswinton Aerodrome has a rich aviation heritage dating back to the pioneering days of flight. Originally serving as a military airfield during World War I, it played a crucial role in defending the skies over the UK. After the war, the airfield transitioned into a civilian facility, becoming a hub for flying clubs and private aviators.

Over the decades, Glenswinton Aerodrome has witnessed numerous milestones in aviation history, from the golden age of biplanes to the modern era of sleek, high-performance aircraft. Its quaint hangar and vintage barns stand as silent witnesses to the evolution of GA aviation.

Despite changes in ownership over the years, Glenswinton Aerodrome has remained a beloved institution within the aviation community, cherished for its idyllic setting and enduring dedication to fostering a passion for flight. Today, it continues to serve as a vibrant hub for GA aviation enthusiasts of all ages, preserving its legacy as a cherished piece of the UK's aviation heritage. Today, the property is the site of a logging operation, but we have decided to keep the rich history and scenery of the area alive and not reflect these new operations.

Features:

• Custom Modeled buildings 
  • Animated people and farm life
  • Hand built Dirt roads throughout the property
  • Custom forest to reflect satellite imaging
  • Real-world sloping runway
  • Custom Night lighting
  • Stonewall fencing throughout the airfield
  • Custom 3d modeled props and static objects

Buy_Button.png

$7.49 AUD

Sales tax will be calculated at checkout where applicable.

US$4,94 | €4,58 | £3,90

USD, EUR, GBP estimates only

Not to be derogatory ar anything but EGDW is actually Merryfield Airfield Airport RNAS - not sure where Glenswinton is or even if it has an airport. 

18 minutes ago, pilot100 said:

Not to be derogatory ar anything but EGDW is actually Merryfield Airfield Airport RNAS - not sure where Glenswinton is or even if it has an airport. 

Correct. EGDW is Merryfield Airfield, although EDGW is labeled as Glenswinton Farm Airstrip in the base sim. If you search in your sim for EGDW, it won't come up as Merryfield.  If MSFS allowed GB identifiers, then the airfield would be labeled as GB-0201. 

The developer specifically asked to include GB-0201 in the release notes as it's the real-life identifier.

Hope this helps answer your question 😎

• Sante Sottile changed the title to BackWoodStudios release EGDW (GB-0201) Glenswinton Aerodrome for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Yep, thanks, it's interesting because Merryfields in Devon (I think) and GB-0201 is in Galaway Scotland!  Not sure how MS got that one wrong. Probably worth the Dev stating that the GB-0201 is in Scotland, I didn't see the actual location anywhere and went looking and that's how I found out about the issue.

:lol: for once I might have sympathy with ASOBO - we all make mistakes!

Just took a look.

Mainly because it's nice to see someone producing scenery up here in Scotland.

Anyway, yes, EGDW in MSFS does appear to take you to Castle Douglas.

CastleDouglas.thumb.jpg.2bd7c75915a96c7999a3f895bd1e1943.jpg

If you want to go to Merryfield it is apparently EGDI.

merryfield.thumb.jpg.f5e779124820d795f137aa3e8ebe1b59.jpg

I tried to find GB-0201 but, unsurprisingly, it didn't exist.

I'm guessing this is 1,038,236 on the ASOBO list of things to fix :rollmyeyes:

While we wait for the fix hopefully that's enough information for folks to get where they want to!

All the best,

John

Agreed, no big deal, only found the issue by accident. As I said above, just suggest the dev mentions that the site is in Scotland (not everyone will know what GB-0201 is).

Here is a real world visit to the one near to Castle Douglas:
Trips & Airports - Andreas to Glenswinton (euroga.org)
The internet has nothing to indicate any usage of this prior to 2011.

It also states that RAF Merryfield was opened in 1944.
Could the description

Originally serving as a military airfield during World War I, it played a crucial role in defending the skies over the UK.
After the war, the airfield transitioned into a civilian facility, becoming a hub for flying clubs and private aviators.

be for a third facility somewhere?

Hi Folks! I'm Dave, one of the devs for Backwood Studios. We all had a good laugh when building this one, as we also experienced the same confusion! Before I clear some things up, we want to apologize for any confusion this airfield may have caused you! We knew it was going to be somewhat tricky trying to display this airfield, but made the choice based on what the simulator had listed it as, and the ease of finding the field in game.

As stated by Sante already, the Identifier for this airfield is indeed wrong and the error stems from the core game. Being the airfield is searchable via the world map, we knew something like this needed to follow the core game's error, so we listed it as such, EGDW.

One of our beta testers live locally to the area and this is how we discovered this hidden gem! During our research, we found numerous YouTube videos of private pilots testing their luck at this field. In fact, we believe the current field owner has a YouTube channel listing a few plane spotting videos out of there (Check them out here! https://www.youtube.com/@Glenswinton ) with the most recent being 8 months ago (although we believe it was filmed 4 years ago, but there are other videos showing recent landings). We've reached out to this owner for more information regarding the field's history, but have not received any replies as of yet.

Regarding the military mention of this airport. The tester that lives locally in the area mentioned a few facts about this airport and the military operations in this area. Upon further research, we found that this area had a few RAF airstrips (RAF Dumfries being the closest historically listed field) that was used back in WW2. So the information we have for Glenswinton, seems to be on par with the research we have found. So, we listed the description as such. Currently we are trying to gather more information and have contacted a local aviation museum to get a better understanding of the history of this airfield. For now, check out the links below that bring mention to the area and it's aviation heritage!  As we find more information regarding this wonderful countryside and hidden gem, we will be updating to reflect this new understanding of the area!

We hope you enjoy this fun little field!

Dave

Backwood Studios

https://www.solwayfirthpartnership.co.uk/community/military-heritage/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/54/a5942054.shtml

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2024-06-03/remembering-key-components-of-d-day-operation-made-in-dumfries-and-galloway

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, JustDave84 said:

Hi Folks! I'm Dave, one of the devs for Backwood Studios. We all had a good laugh when building this one, as we also experienced the same confusion! Before I clear some things up, we want to apologize for any confusion this airfield may have caused you! We knew it was going to be somewhat tricky trying to display this airfield, but made the choice based on what the simulator had listed it as, and the ease of finding the field in game.

As stated by Sante already, the Identifier for this airfield is indeed wrong and the error stems from the core game. Being the airfield is searchable via the world map, we knew something like this needed to follow the core game's error, so we listed it as such, EGDW.

One of our beta testers live locally to the area and this is how we discovered this hidden gem! During our research, we found numerous YouTube videos of private pilots testing their luck at this field. In fact, we believe the current field owner has a YouTube channel listing a few plane spotting videos out of there (Check them out here! https://www.youtube.com/@Glenswinton ) with the most recent being 8 months ago (although we believe it was filmed 4 years ago, but there are other videos showing recent landings). We've reached out to this owner for more information regarding the field's history, but have not received any replies as of yet.

Regarding the military mention of this airport. The tester that lives locally in the area mentioned a few facts about this airport and the military operations in this area. Upon further research, we found that this area had a few RAF airstrips (RAF Dumfries being the closest historically listed field) that was used back in WW2. So the information we have for Glenswinton, seems to be on par with the research we have found. So, we listed the description as such. Currently we are trying to gather more information and have contacted a local aviation museum to get a better understanding of the history of this airfield. For now, check out the links below that bring mention to the area and it's aviation heritage!  As we find more information regarding this wonderful countryside and hidden gem, we will be updating to reflect this new understanding of the area!

We hope you enjoy this fun little field!

Dave

Backwood Studios

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2024-06-03/remembering-key-components-of-d-day-operation-made-in-dumfries-and-galloway

I think, now I'm even more confused.:rolleyes:

On 6/10/2024 at 1:07 AM, wolfko said:

I think, now I'm even more confused.:rolleyes:

Sorry you are still confused. My primary job is all about data and information analysis. So I tend to take the long route when explaining things.

I'll try to sum the information up for you.

EGDW is listed wrong in game.. We just labeled the airfield what the game is listing it as, and there is some military aviation history in the area.

I hope that clears up the confusion!

Dave

• Thanks 1

From Wikipedia, note the current ICAO code of EGDI, which is probably the one used in MSFS by Asobo for Merryfield:

In 1971, part of the airfield was again taken over by the Royal Navy for use in assault helicopter training and exercises that would not conflict with fixed-wing traffic on the Navy's other stations. Merryfield was soon subject to naval tradition by being labelled RNAS Merryfield (HMS Heron II)[7] (IATA: N/A, ICAO: EGDI). In the event, the Navy's occupation proved to be the most enduring of the airfield's half century of existence, for it was still being used by its helicopters.[6]

In the 1980s, the site was considered as a storage area for nuclear waste, but this idea was rejected owing to local geology.[9]

In more recent years the MoD has let out this airfield for the use of the scouts for camping events. Local cycling clubs also hold races on the perimeter road circuit and runways, including Regional Championships.[10] It is the principal site of the Royal Navy Model Aircraft Association.[11]

Today, there is security on the gate as it is still an operational airfield and a restricted area.

7 hours ago, John Dow said:

From Wikipedia, note the current ICAO code of EGDI, which is probably the one used in MSFS by Asobo for Merryfield:

In 1971, part of the airfield was again taken over by the Royal Navy for use in assault helicopter training and exercises that would not conflict with fixed-wing traffic on the Navy's other stations. Merryfield was soon subject to naval tradition by being labelled RNAS Merryfield (HMS Heron II)[7] (IATA: N/A, ICAO: EGDI). In the event, the Navy's occupation proved to be the most enduring of the airfield's half century of existence, for it was still being used by its helicopters.[6]

In the 1980s, the site was considered as a storage area for nuclear waste, but this idea was rejected owing to local geology.[9]

In more recent years the MoD has let out this airfield for the use of the scouts for camping events. Local cycling clubs also hold races on the perimeter road circuit and runways, including Regional Championships.[10] It is the principal site of the Royal Navy Model Aircraft Association.[11]

Today, there is security on the gate as it is still an operational airfield and a restricted area.

This information is true for Merryfield. However, Glenswinton is our newest release and is located in Dumfries and Galloway area of southern Scotland. This area also has a rich history of military operations and has nothing to do with Merryfield, which is located in the south part of England.

We knew the ICAO was wrong from Glenswinton in MSFS. But if we were to list it as it's correct ICAO, no one would ever find it!

Hope this helps!

Dave

Hello Dave,
I think that what we are all finding difficult to relate to is that

there seems to be a disconnect between the airstrip in Scotland that is modelled
and the descriptive text.

This is what the internet has to say about Glenswinton:

GLENSWINTON: Private airstrip    (Aka GLENSWINTON FARM)

Location:  2.5nm SSW of Gibbshall on the A712, 3nm NNE of Parton on the A713 and 8.5nm NW to NNW of Castle Douglas

Period of operation:  2011 to present day

Runway: 2011:     03/21   380   compacted gravel

2019:     03/21   425   compacted gravel

So all references to World War One and Two and its place in aviation history do not seem to fit.

• Upvote 1