Remembering my father on this special day.........

I never had a chance to know my father. He died a month before I was born. He's one the many Marines who never returned from the Pacific in WWII. I've often wondered how my life would have been different had he been here with me. I love you dad. And on this Memorial Day may God bless you and the thousands of others who have died in the defense of our country.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I never had a chance to know my father. He died a month before I was born. He's one the many Marines who never returned from the Pacific in WWII. I've often wondered how my life would have been different had he been here with me. I love you dad. And on this Memorial Day may God bless you and the thousands of others who have died in the defense of our country.

Me too.  My father survived the war, but died suddenly a week after my second birthday.  He had just turned 27.  While  I can't prove that it was War related, my mother said he frequently had nightmares.  They just didn't know about PTSD back then.   I had him for the first two years of my life, but I have no memories of him.

My father served on board USS LST 207 (Coast Guard) in the Pacific, carrying Marines and their equipment to their Rendezvous with Destiny.  

I share your sentiments of love and gratitude for those we lost.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

Loss is a hole that love can fill. Looks like you have done a good job with it, Doug. Your father would be honored.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

My Dad was a Marine in the S Pacific (Kiribati, Guadacanal, Gilberts) and I was lucky he made it back to start a family.  Between being a Marine and a Deputy Sherriff I had a strong foundation and love him for that. Had him until I was 63 so am  truly blessed.  I served from '67-'71 and lost friends that can't be replaced.  Still, I'm not bitter and look at each day as a gift.  I feel for anyone losing a father at such a young age or not knowing them at all.  That hurts, but yes, love fills the hole.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

My Dad was a Marine in the S Pacific (Kiribati, Guadacanal, Gilberts) and I was lucky he made it back to start a family.  Between being a Marine and a Deputy Sherriff I had a strong foundation and love him for that. Had him until I was 63 so am  truly blessed.  I served from '67-'71 and lost friends that can't be replaced.  Still, I'm not bitter and look at each day as a gift.  I feel for anyone losing a father at such a young age or not knowing them at all.  That hurts, but yes, love fills the hole.

A Marine who was at Kiribati and Guadalcanal? Wow, Rob, your dad saw the elephant for sure. Glad you had him for so long and got that strong foundation from him. That's the best inheritance of all, isn't it?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 5/27/2024 at 11:25 PM, Rob Abernathy said:

My Dad was a Marine in the S Pacific (Kiribati, Guadacanal, Gilberts) and I was lucky he made it back to start a family.

You are, indeed, a lucky man Rob. My dad died sometime between 9 November and 11 November 1942 on Guadalcanal. I was born on 23 December. I served in the Corps from 1960 to 1964. Both of my sons have served also. Semper Fi my friend.............Doug

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, W2DR said:

You are, indeed, a lucky man Rob. My dad died sometime between 9 November and 11 November 1942 on Guadalcanal. I was born on 23 December. I served in the Corps from 1960 to 1964. Both of my sons have served also. Semper Fi my friend.............Doug

All honor to your family, Doug. The few, the proud, and lots to be proud of.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, W2DR said:

Thanks Doug, I served from '67-'71 but my Dad, like yours was the real hero.  Hats off to your Dad, sorry  you didn't get to know him.  Thank you for your service.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2024 at 12:14 AM, Rob Abernathy said:

Thanks Doug, I served from '67-'71 but my Dad, like yours was the real hero.  Hats off to your Dad, sorry  you didn't get to know him.  Thank you for your service.

And thanks to you too Rob. And thanks to all the other guys and gals here who have served. It's a wonderful feeling to know that you're not alone.

• Upvote 3