Travel Insurance...be sure you have enough

W2DR

Five months ago I had a major fall while on a Carribean cruise. I turned into a jumble of fractured/displaced bones. Sternum, right scapula, and 14 ribs. The ships medical couldn't handle it so I was put ashore in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. I spent 6 days there in ICU and then it was decided that I was OK to travel home. They arranged for an air ambulance and I flew back to Orlando, Florida (a distance of 1009 miles). Once there I spent another three weeks in hospital. But enough of that.

The point I want to make is to be sure that you have travel insurance and be sure it will cover the expenses of getting you home. In my case I was able to get home for the low, low price of USD$27,000. And, thank goodness, it was all covered by my insurance. (I can't even imagine the cost if was in Australia). I hope none of you ever have to go through something similar but I thought I'd post this just as a for-what-it's-worth...........Doug

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

It all depends on your age - and the problems it can cause in getting insurance

late last year the boss lady and I - 88 and 87 went on a 7day cruise which cost our kids $3500

- a cruise that didn't leave Aussie waters - but the insurance quote was $4500

Needless to say - we took the risk since all calling ports were Australian.

• Like 5

Which company was that John? I have found huge differences in insurance cost between companies - however that is only for house / car .etc.

Brian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pilot100 said:

Which company was that John? I have found huge differences in insurance cost between companies - however that is only for house / car .etc.

Brian

principally NRMA - my usual car etc - but I did a comparison with not a lot of difference.

All though it was in Ossie waters - the cruise was classified as overseas - hence the large premium to cover anywhere in the World

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 2

certainly a reminder for us all, I have a relative that has cancer and couldn't get reasonable priced insurance to see her sister in OZ, luckily nothing happened because she went without....Doug I hope you are now on the mend...

• Like 1

Thanks for the info John, 

I've used Covermore in the past but can't say if they would be better/cheaper now. All ins is going up these days, too many big claims as a result of bush fire and floods etc I guess. 

Brian

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 3:08 AM, wain71 said:

Doug I hope you are now on the mend...

Thanks Wayne. I'm getting better slowly. I'm able to get around now without the walker but I can't walk too far because of fatigue. The head injury (brain bleed) has absorbed so no surgery was needed. I'm still a bit light-headed but I'm hopeful that that, too, will keep getting better. As they say, "Stuff Happens". It could have been worse. I'm 81 years old and, thank God, there was no damage to my hips. And life goes on..........Doug

• Like 4