P3D Sunk $Costs…

with the announcement of P3Dv6 - it is definitely time to not proceed with P3D any longer,

I will freeze at my P3Dv5.4 installation that still functions OK,

already, have had lots of P3D Sunk $Costs of products that were never upgraded from v4 to v5… :(

for moi, the impending MSFS 2024 will be the future - & have a large fully supported $investment in MSFS 2020, including heaps of Orbx Central $purchases…

Edited by craigeaglefire
some emphasis…
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

It seems to me that the decision to "fly" either MSFS or P3D depends on whether one wants to "fly" based on RL aircraft, practices, and procedures or "fly" primarily for the eye-candy. To me it seems that it's P3D for the former and MSFS for the latter. Or, better yet, just use both. There's no "good' or "bad" in this decision but, rather, it's just a matter of personal choice.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

It seems to me that the decision to "fly" either MSFS or P3D depends on whether one wants to "fly" based on RL aircraft, practices, and procedures or "fly" primarily for the eye-candy. To me it seems that it's P3D for the former and MSFS for the latter. Or, better yet, just use both. There's no "good' or "bad" in this decision but, rather, it's just a matter of personal choice.

I would be interested on which facts this statement is based.

• Like 4

Here we go again.  Fly what you want and let others fly what they want.  I don't give a flying fig newton what you fly and I don't care what you think the future is for you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

I would be interested on which facts this statement is based.

Just my humble opinion. As I said there is no "Good" or "Bad" here. Maybe if you try a few of the more difficult RNAV approaches you'll see what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

Maybe if you try a few of the more difficult RNAV approaches you'll see what I mean.

FWIW, most of my MSFS approaches in the PMDG 737 or Fenix 320 are RNAV to mins. The thought that you can't conduct complex procedures in MSFS is pretty close minded.

These sims are a tool. It's the user who determines how they are implemented.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, W2DR said:

Exactly my opinion (and behaviour) as well.

On 7/5/2023 at 3:12 AM, craigeaglefire said:

I will freeze at my P3Dv5.4 installation that still functions OK, already, have had lots of P3D Sunk $Costs of products that were never upgraded from v4 to v5… :(

for moi, the impending MSFS 2024 will be the future - & have a large fully supported $investment in MSFS 2020, including heaps of Orbx Central $purchases…

And for me it is the other way round: I hesitate to invest in MSFS2020, now that we know p3d is further developed and MSFS2024 is announced. But I have refused to move over to v5 already, to further enjoy all of these sunk costs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, W2DR said:

Just my humble opinion. As I said there is no "Good" or "Bad" here. Maybe if you try a few of the more difficult RNAV approaches you'll see what I mean.

I have no problems doing RNAV approaches in in MSFS.

PS: I deleted most of this post as I was about starting just another sim war again. 😉

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Stillwater said:

p3d v4.5

Thanks for confirming, Gerold

that is a smart move of yours, as 4.5 has lots of compatibility, :)

I lost my PMDG 737 when going to v5,

but got the PMDG 737 700/800 combo in MSFS instead,

am more of a GA & helicopter flyer which suits MSFS really well…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/5/2023 at 4:23 PM, W2DR said:

You may be right Steve. I've only been doing this for 42 years and I guess I'm just not doing it right. Thanks for the hint.

If you've been doing things so long that you can't consider a fresh perspective, perhaps the point is lost on you.

Best of luck.