This Week's Meaningless Topic (#134)(March 31)

Hi all. My wife and I have lived in the same apartment for almost fifteen years. In that time, we've had five different families downstairs, ranging from very noisy to very quiet, and from kind of unpleasant to much appreciated. Over the years, most of us on this forum have lived amidst a variety of people. Hence this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Who were/are the best neighbors you've enjoyed knowing?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Hello Rodger,
I have been very lucky with neighbours over the years, though it is 45 years since I lived as a single man in an apartment.
These are known as "flats" in the UK, though (Real) Estate agents have long used "apartments" because they think that 
makes us all think that an apartment is grander than a "flat".
Since I married, I have lived in a total of five different houses and my neighbours have all become friends.
Sadly, by coincidence, tomorrow we are attending the funeral of a delightful 89 year old lady who had lived with her husband
and family in the house next door to us since 1956.
We have only been here for a mere 25 years and soon became friends with her now late husband and her two sons.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

I've got to say that all the neighbours that have

lived next to me over the years have been very pleasant. 

A simple hello and a quick chat over the fence is all that has been required.

None of this popping over every 5mins for a cup of sugar

and drinking my beer.:huh:

I've been very lucky with no yahoos.:rolleyes:

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Over the years I've had numerous great neighbors.  When I lived in an apartment in Rhode Island I had an upstairs neighbor.  Great older fellow; we had a good time.  Gumby will appreciate this: he was employed by Narragansett Brewery. Needless to say, we enjoyed many a beer together.  After getting married wife and I lived in an apartment for the first 22 years.  We had an upstairs neighbor, Gloria, who became a very good friend. But since we bought a house 23 years ago we've been cordial with most of the neighbors, but haven't really befriended any of them.  And one has completely ignored us from the very beginning, been rather hostile, and engaged in low level harassment at times.  I have no idea why the hostility.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Over the years I've had numerous great neighbors.  When I lived in an apartment in Rhode Island I had an upstairs neighbor.  Great older fellow; we had a good time.  Gumby will appreciate this: he was employed by Narragansett Brewery. Needless to say, we enjoyed many a beer together.  After getting married wife and I lived in an apartment for the first 22 years.  We had an upstairs neighbor, Gloria, who became a very good friend. But since we bought a house 23 years ago we've been cordial with most of the neighbors, but haven't really befriended any of them.  And one has completely ignored us from the very beginning, been rather hostile, and engaged in low level harassment at times.  I have no idea why the hostility.

Ken

Ken instead of serving cordial serve a beer.:D

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 4

We live in a 10-party house since 1999, which has pros and cons. The biggest pros probably come from close partnership: Be it the caretaking for our cats once somebody is travelling (we have a WhattsApp group "cat servants"). And one of the highlights came up during our recent renovations (in Covid time): We had our kitchen and bathrooms totally removed (even the walls were changed), there was no heating or water either. During that time our neighbors gave us a key to their flat, so that we could use their toilet and shower - could it be a more intimate connection? Helping each other is really great, besides chatting and drinking together.

Did I forget to mention that we all meet during sports events (in summer only) in the garden, set up a video beamer and watch together? The supply with cold drinks and a hot barbie is always ensured.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Great topic Rodger. Unfortunately I don't recall any best neighbours - in fact I think we have been the best neighbours to our past and present neighbours. Our present neighbours have a huge mango tree that overhangs the fence and drops leaves into our pool, attracts flying foxes (big bats) and is a shelter to their hens and roosters. We prune the overhanging mango branches (getting burnt by the sap in the process) and transport them to the tip paying the tip fees! The bats poo all over our pool deck and the roosters don't know when the day actually begins. Their kids park their cars on our verge and we say nothing. If you're my neighbour and you see this please mention us in this thread as the best neighbours you've enjoyed knowing. 

Cheers 

Graeme 

PS, I want Gerold's situation :)

Edited by boetie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, boetie said:

Great topic Rodger. Unfortunately I don't recall any best neighbours - in fact I think we have been the best neighbours to our past and present neighbours. Our present neighbours have a huge mango tree that overhangs the fence and drops leaves into our pool, attracts flying foxes (big bats) and is a shelter to their hens and roosters. We prune the overhanging mango branches (getting burnt by the sap in the process) and transport them to the tip paying the tip fees! The bats poo all over our pool deck and the roosters don't know when the day actually begins. Their kids park their cars on our verge and we say nothing. If you're my neighbour and you see this please mention us in this thread as the best neighbours you've enjoyed knowing. 

Cheers 

Graeme 

PS, I want Gerold's situation :)

Not to be sanctimonious, Graeme, but as a clergyman I have to commend you on doing good in return for not-good. Very classy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1