I need help - yes again

Aussieflyer38

I have just re-installed MSFS, yes AGAIN. This time I was smart, I think, I saved my Community folder, my problem now is where do I put it. There is a fair bit of stuff in it, took two hours to copy it to a remote HD. Thought I'd just put it on my "c" drive and MSFS would find it, not so, so could one of you learned gentlemen help me out here please? And I'm not about to ask where to put it, as I know some smartie will............😄

Thanks Don 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I'm trying MSFS 2020 again too, Don. My advice is to go very slowly, do one little thing at a time, and have something handy to kick.

Better not be the dog, she's pregnant. 😄 I had six,  yes 6 hours with a MS tech trying to sort out a problem, they re-installed win 10 for me four times and it wouldn't fire up, God knows what problems I've got now. MSFS is up and running, thats about all I can say, testing day has arrived, we'll see. 🙄 

• Like 1

AS above C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages but only if you did the default install.  If you didn't then the community will obviously be wherever you selected it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pilot100 said:

AS above C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages but only if you did the default install.  If you didn't then the community will obviously be wherever you selected it.

Yes mate, I did the default install from the store, the community folder was there but empty of course, so I did as Jean-Jacques suggested and copied the back up into the "packages" folder. I have quite a bit of scenery and aircraft, but not enough to almost fill my "C" drive. Before the reinstall it was a bit over half full, it's a 2 tig SSD, and this is why I don't understand where all the other files have come from to fill it. Is it possible somehow my backup installed onto my "C" drive twice? Is there any way I can check this?

Something I found odd was, that this being a "clean" install, my aircraft control settings were still there, and the CJ4 I accidently deleted at the last update is not there. I thought all the default aircraft would be there on a fresh install 

Don

Edited by Aussieflyer38
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I'm trying MSFS 2020 again too, Don. My advice is to go very slowly, do one little thing at a time, and have something handy to kick.

Thats me Rodger, slow, very slow, particularly when it involves computers🙂

• Upvote 1

Hi Don,

I know how much you love Win 10, but really, I don't think it's the culprit. I have used every version of Windows since 3.1, and for me, Win 11 is by far the best. My suspicion is that you've got something nasty lurking somewhere, and as many people have  suggested, it is most likely in your Community folder. Might I suggest removing your community folder one more time, keeping it safe somewhere, let MSFS create a new one, and then add the contents piece by piece, opening the sim and checking for crashes, adding another piece, checking, etc. I know this is time-consuming, but it's worked for me. There are, of course, files which can go straight in, such as many,if not all payware aircraft, and scenery. Most often I have found the problem to be mods clashing with the latest MSFS update.

I'm sure many people might disagree with this advice, but it's my two bob's worth, and it's worked for me.

• Like 2

Why are you copying the community folder? 

If you are  updating it's a lot easier to rename the community folder to CommunityOFF or similar, do the update then change the name back to Community.

Alternatively use an addon linker (they are very straightforward to use) and keep all your addons outside of the MSFS structure. 

Pleanty of tutorials online.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, flying_fish said:

Why are you copying the community folder? 

If you are  updating it's a lot easier to rename the community folder to CommunityOFF or similar, do the update then change the name back to Community.

Alternatively use an addon linker (they are very straightforward to use) and keep all your addons outside of the MSFS structure. 

Pleanty of tutorials online.

Thanks Andy, tips a bit late, all done, but wish I had done that - two hours to C&P. I'll look into the addon linker.

• Like 1

Thanks TMP, part of my problem is time. Not sure if you've seen any of my earlier posts, but I'm in the early stages of Covid recovery and am only allowed an hour or two a day on my sim, (I do cheat a bit.) I will however give it a go at some stage, probably a bit at a time. With the Bravo controller problem, what I don't understand is why it only affects "some" aircraft and not all, including default aircraft.

Thanks Don

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

This is starting to remind me of the old joke about how to cook a muskrat. Skin and butcher the rat, spread the meat on an oak platter, roast over open fire, throw away the rat meat and eat the platter.

But then: take the tail to the canal office and collect the $1.00 bounty, then take the skin (with fur) to the hatter and sell it for $.25.  What you do with the meat doesn't matter.  You've already made more than a day's pay, and that's only one muskrat!

Ken (the Hatter)