New Gibraltar Scenery

paulb

I would like to purchase the new Gibraltar scenery for MSFS. But the description on Direct say -

" 2. This version works with many general aviation aircrafts, airbus works in reverse way, but it doesn’t work with boring. 3.MSFS Marketplace version works normal with Airbus strobe lights."

Can someone tell me which version - Orbx or Marketplace has the most detail and has everything included please? :).

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

I can't understand what Sam Scene are trying to say on the Orbxdirect page, I think you might need to contact them directly to get the information you want:

This product has been produced by SamScene3D. For SamScene3D product support, please to go https://samscene.com

I don't want to seem awkward John, but don't Orbx know what product they are selling?

39 minutes ago, paulb said:

I don't want to seem awkward John, but don't Orbx know what product they are selling?

Orbx doesn't develop the Samscene sceneries.  Orbx offers a secure and reliable download and installation service through Orbx Central, but product support for non-Orbx products rests with the developer.  It's a pretty common commercial arrangement between the developer and the retailer and Orbx and its partners are no different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Dow said:

Orbx doesn't develop the Samscene sceneries.  Orbx offers a secure and reliable download and installation service through Orbx Central, but product support for non-Orbx products rests with the developer.  It's a pretty common commercial arrangement between the developer and the retailer and Orbx and its partners are no different.

I am sorry John, but as someone who has purchased 80% of everything that Orbx has ever sold, I do understand that.

I am not looking for product support. I am simply asking which version you are selling.

Surely that is something that a seller should be able to answer?

5 hours ago, John Dow said:

I can't understand what Sam Scene are trying to say on the Orbxdirect page,

There are topics on this matter on the Official forum, on AVSIM, and on Orbx now. I would certainly name SamScene3D a trusted developer (I own all his sceneries), but there are very few, if any, people who seem to understood the two versions. 

As far as I vaguely understand, the sceneries are both identical, it's the planes movements being different.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ftxpolo said:

It is the GA version (General Aviation), Airbus version please purchase in MSFS Marketplace !

What does Airbus version mean exactly?

That is the question. I assume that one can land an Airbus in the GA version. It must be the same runway.

4 minutes ago, paulb said:

Well, I have gone ahead and purchased the GA version. Perhaps, one day, someone can advise me what I missed by not getting the 'Airbus version'.

I looked at this and I don't understand the difference, it would be nice to have it explained. I understand one is only on marketplace but why 2 versions?... surely it can't be that difficult to tell us why?.. should it?...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ftxpolo said:

MARKETPLACE "Airbus Version"

Gibraltar.png

Have to excuse my stupidity but what does works with Airbus Strobe lights only mean please?... not a criticism but I want to buy this but don't understand... I fly mostly airliners if that helps..

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wain71 said:

what does works with Airbus Strobe lights only mean

Before landing or taking off, turning ON strobe light , stop the people and car traffic running across the runway. Not working with mostly GA aircraft, just and only with airbus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ftxpolo said:

Before landing or taking off, turning ON strobe light , stop the people and car traffic running across the runway. Not working with mostly GA aircraft, just and only with airbus.

Thanks for that...this makes a difference to my type of flying...nice touch...

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

The title at Orbx Direct does seem to be pretty clear:

SamScene3D Gibraltar Scenic Life (GA version)

You may not know this, but the description has already been changed once since my query Nick. 

Anyway, I don't know the difference between the two versions apart from "Before landing or taking off, turning ON strobe light , stop the people and car traffic running across the runway". 

No-one seems able to really have an answer. 

Hello,

I think, from reading the input, that is the only difference.

My guess would be that the developer wanted to produce two versions and

decided that this was their chosen way to do it.

Obx Central of course has a control panel that might have been used to the same effect,

or perhaps we will never know if that was an option as well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I think, from reading the input, that is the only difference.

My guess would be that the developer wanted to produce two versions and

decided that this was their chosen way to do it.

Obx Central of course has a control panel that might have been used to the same effect,

or perhaps we will never know if that was an option as well.

Hi Nick,

Well I purchased the GA Version and guess what? I can stop the pedestrians and traffic by using the strobe light in the A320Neo. I thought that only the MS version had that feature.

I tried four more aircraft.

I also seemed to be able to get it to stop with the Asobo KingAir but not with three third party aircraft. Obviously not a definitive test, but helpful perhaps.

Here are a few screenshots showing gates open and gates closed.

339822543_2022-11-04(91).thumb.jpg.b6c2afb18fc35753e5c506b3d78d6d28.jpg

1049238029_2022-11-04(93).thumb.jpg.a9e76d8b6514f97e2a95b54d9cbe6f8d.jpg

2094791275_2022-11-04(90).thumb.jpg.af12f7e146f5ed0f5d171552a78655d6.jpg

218516431_2022-11-04(94).thumb.jpg.a31a9fcb04b5ac85bb7ecbfbddf2e5a8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I decided to try again with the Asobo A320, Asobo 747-800 and the Fenix A320.

I could always stop the traffic and people with the Asobo A320, but not with the other aircraft.

My suspicion is that it's a limitation within MSFS at the moment, rather than a 'fault' of the developer.

Below are a few screenshots. I guess it's time for STOL! :lol:.

1494473363_2022-11-04(95).thumb.jpg.d705ec7354fee3b5adc6a40c08f6ac68.jpg

1849045252_2022-11-04(96).thumb.jpg.42e8d78342e565687db24280452cbb10.jpg

2111614446_2022-11-04(97).thumb.jpg.6eab4c332233dd05a0c8143683aae47f.jpg

2064062403_2022-11-04(98).thumb.jpg.0b863571bb8615f521c681e9bffb1e38.jpg

155803262_2022-11-04(99).thumb.jpg.8453defbff4badbd8708e9220bfa8aa3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, wain71 said:

just thought I'd post this picture, this was the front of our barracks and square when I was based there for a few months back in the 80's...

gib bks.jpg

That looks very impressive and colonial Wayne :).

The scenery developer is almost certainly using the simvar for the strobes to stop the traffic animation loop.  IE:  'if "LIGHT STROBE"=1 then stop animation_69420,'

At a guess there's probably a different simvar for the default Asobo Airbus strobes than there is for every other airplane's strobes, so that function either works with the Airbus or works with anything that has the normal "LIGHT STROBE" SimConnect variable.  You could almost certainly use FSUPIC or SPAD.Next to set a button to toggle whatever the Airbus strobes variable is and use it to toggle the animation manually if you had that version.

I'm not sure why they'd use the strobes instead of the landing lights though... I think the "LIGHT LANDING" variable is pretty universal, or at least I haven't found any airplanes that don't work with the stock SPAD.Next Landing Lights config so far.

• Upvote 2