Memorial Day...........

W2DR

My condolences to you W2DR, and to everyone who lost family, comrads, shipmates and friends in any of our wars.

My father did make it home; he was detached from his ship after Leyte, but before Okinawa.  In May 1945 he was at the USCG base at Atlantic Beach.  In June he married my mother.  Three years later I was born.  Two years later he was dead at 27. War related?  We'll never know, but after he came home he suffered.  They didn't handle PTSD her well then.  I was too young, so I don't remember him.

RIP PFC Bowling, USMC.  As far as I can tell the only fatality on my father's ship was a young marine (the ship was an LST).  The ship was under attack by Japanese torpedo bombers and young private Bowling went on deck apparently to see what was happening.  He was hit by shrapnel.  My father was detailed with another sailor to make the burial shroud.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, this day for me is a very somber one, especially for the last 13 years. Firstly, I lost my Great Uncle on the Bataan Death March, in the Pacific theater, in WW2. Then, in 2009, while serving as a Platoon Sergeant and deployed to Afghanistan, I lost my best Squad Leader and good friend Ray M. He was KIA by an enemy rocket attack while we were conducting a patrol. 

• Sad 5
  • Upvote 3

A somber day indeed.  I let it pass, but I am saddened by those who wish us a "Happy Memorial Day.". It is not a day to be " happy."   It is a day to be thoughtful, prayerful (if that is your wont), and thankful.  As far as "happy" be happy for what we have because of these brave heroes' sacrifice, but with sadness remember the horrible cost.  These are not statistics.  These are people, men and women like us, who paid the ultimate price

In my earlier post I did not mention that the air attack hit LCI(G) 428, blew it to smithereens, killing about half of the sailors and marines on board.  It was a fragment from that explosion that got PFC Bowling.

Peace,

Ken

P.S.   A colleague said so well yesterday:

Armed Forces Day is to honor those serving now.

Veterans' Day, to honor those who have served.

Memorial Day to honor those who served but didn't come back.

Now we also honor veterans who have passed on on Memorial Day, and that is just fine by me.

• Like 8

I don't really know what to say, as an ex Infantry soldier in the British Army that has lost friends in the past, including ones that couldn't cope after leaving the military I understand how days like today (Memorial Day) effect you, respect to all our Brothers & Sisters in the United States who have not made it back.....it doesn't get any easier......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2