Microsoft Flight Simulator product support

another observation; as I stated above I got London Landmarks and EGTR from Orbx. I have another 3rd party product from Marketplace called VFR, and it has a flight starting from EGTR. When I try to load that flight(it's under "bush trips" section) EGTR loads without any problem. But if I try to spawn at the EGTR myself through world map sim freezes.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Then I would recommend also checking with Steam support.

Thanks!

Do you think maybe an uninstall of the Orbx Dubai City Pack followed by a re-install of the Dubai City pack and then 

(1. Delete any rolling cache.) by itself is worth a try and just hope the Content.mxl and .dats take care of themselves.???

15 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Sure, always worth a try. I would not only delete the rolling cache, I would also turn it off

Could you tell me a little more about the rolling cache? I don't fully understand what it does. What are its positives and more importantly what are its negatives. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Yes it is safe to delete the rolling cache anytime, below is a quick google search with lots of info.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+rolling+cache+in+MSFS&rlz=1C1PRFI_enCA834CA834&oq=what+is+rolling+cache+in+MSFS&aqs=chrome..69i57.14507j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

One of the negatives may be that it stores corrupt data.

• Like 1

Hello,

it appears that the Steam installation puts the local cache here:

For the Steam install:
C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Packages\

Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache,

that is where the Content.xml could be.

Please note: Windows by default hides the “AppData” folder, so you may

have to go to “View” in the menu of File Explorer, and select

“show hidden files, folder and drives ” to see it.

I see another post that suggests that the content.xml file might be in the MSFS main folder, wherever you chose to put that.

Otherwise, search your PC for Content.xml.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My problem after updating to SU5 is that the MSFS 2020 started slower than before. After I selected the airport location then pressed FLY, the screen came out and the status bar at the bottom running to the end and halted  but the messages still changing from time to time. The only way to stop the MSFS 2020 is by using the end task method.

After I deleted the Content.xml and the ScreenIndexes/*dat files as recommended by Nick, I also changed the Community folder to name it as Community XX.

I stared the MSFS again, it ran faster than before and everything seemed normal just like a newly installation, new  Content.xml and the ScreenIndexes/*dat files and Community folder were formed but without any addons just the default airports.

Please advise what is the quickest way to reinstall all the Orbx softwares and other addons back to MSFS 2020. I have used the Orbx Central to install all Orbx softwares in a hard disk  namely F drive.

47 minutes ago, hkterry said:

My problem after updating to SU5 is that the MSFS 2020 started slower than before. After I selected the airport location then pressed FLY, the screen came out and the status bar at the bottom running to the end and halted  but the messages still changing from time to time. The only way to stop the MSFS 2020 is by using the end task method.

After I deleted the Content.xml and the ScreenIndexes/*dat files as recommended by Nick, I also changed the Community folder to name it as Community XX.

I stared the MSFS again, it ran faster than before and everything seemed normal just like a newly installation, new  Content.xml and the ScreenIndexes/*dat files and Community folder were formed but without any addons just the default airports.

Please advise what is the quickest way to reinstall all the Orbx softwares and other addons back to MSFS 2020. I have used the Orbx Central to install all Orbx softwares in a hard disk  namely F drive.

You can now create a new Community folder. Initially just move all your Orbx sceneries from Community XX to this new Community folder. Leave any other add-ons especially freeware in that XX folder. Now in MSFS you should see your Orbx sceneries, if not then you can run the sync scenery option on Orbx Central.  Your MSFS flights should now load. If so, then another add on is likely to be the culprit, especially tree size and distance mods that used to work. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 10:25 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

anecdotal evidence points to a problem with these products that were bought at the Marketplace,

whereas those that were bought from Orbx appear to be still working.

Sorry, no.

I bought London Landmarks from Orbx Direct.

Greetings. 

When do I have to do these steps suggested above? Before or after installing updates:

1. Delete any rolling cache.

2. Delete the Content.xml file.

(AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Content.xml)

3. Delete the simulator .dat files

(AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes\*.dat)

4. Do not add anything to the Community folder before running MSFS after the update is complete.

If these steps are recommended before installing new update how will I know there is an update pending? I do not always check for update news and there are time new update catches me off guard. 

Thanks for looking.

12 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

those only need to be done if you have a problem.

They are designed to rule out as many other factors as possible

before attributing the cause to a specific product, payware or freeware.

In normal use, none of them are necessary.

Thank you Nick. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I purchased LOWY, YSSY and Sydney direct from Orbx.

I'm getting CTD every single time I load one of them. 

When they are removed from the community folder the simulator runs just fine.

Assume you can provide support for this as it's not via marketplace.

LOWI was purchased yesterday.

So I'm not really having a good experience.

Yes I have followed the procedure for removing the content and scenery .dat files

Crash occurs after I have selected the airport as departure point and I click the yellow FLY button then it crashes. 100% of the time.

EDIT: Works perfectly with Bing Data turned to off.

i7 9700, 3080Ti, 48gb ram, 2TB M.2 SSD

Thank you

3 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi, welcome to the forums

Have you also tried it with the rolling cache deleted and turned off, and the photogrammetry turned off?

Yep, cache turned off, but haven't tried Photogrammetry off. Would I want photogrammetry off?

44 minutes ago, psionic001 said:

Would I want photogrammetry off?

3 hours ago, BradB said:

Lots of server issues the last couple of days affecting PG and Bing data . 

As @BradB says there's been a lot of server issues over the past few days and turning it off may help isolate the issue, it doesn't mean you'll have to have it off permanently, just one of the many troubleshooting techniques for MSFS 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1