MSFS Photogrammetry?

wain71

I am unsure about this, I had melted buildings in London, looked really poor but I don't normally fly there.... question is am I best with this on or off? I have read loads of stuff including on here but still unsure.....

does it only effect Cities around the world that have an in sim upgrade by MS? If I buy a City pack from Orbx do I need it on to work? what do you set it at on or off?

• Like 1

I always fly without photogrammetry unless it's a city that needs it.  London with the Orbx city scenery is all I need there, and yes often the buildings look horrible in photogrammetry.

But my own city Canberra needs pg otherwise some of the important buidlings that define the city are just basic shapes, like the telecommunications tower, it becomes a grain silo!!!

Anyway you can turn pg on and off during a flight so jsut see whatever works best for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only fly with photogrammetry. For me that's one of the best features of MSFS. It is the feature which makes the scenery looking like real world.

E. g. when flying over LA with photogrammetry one will see those blocky trees any a few melted buildings, but still I get the most intense immersion of flying in the real world. Of course, by turning photogrammetry off, you don't get those melted buildings and blocky trees, but then you are only flying over a computer generated autogen city like you get them in all the other sims and the immerson is gone.

And most of the times I only see those melted buildings when deliberately looking for them and/or when flying below the allowed minimum altitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, photogrammetry is off all the time....the melted trees and buildings absolutely ruin the immersion for me. I am a low and slow flyer, so I cannot ignore them....they always pull me out of immersion when I see them, and they are more then just a few. I don't miss photogrammetry at all. Definitely seems to be a user preference, whether you like it on or off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

For me, photogrammetry is off all the time....the melted trees and buildings absolutely ruin the immersion for me. I am a low and slow flyer, so I cannot ignore them....they always pull me out of immersion when I see them, and they are more then just a few. I don't miss photogrammetry at all. Definitely seems to be a user preference, whether you like it on or off.

Same here, and opposed to what was said above I think the auto-generated cities without PG still look miles better than in any other simulator because the Blackshark AI accounts for the building footprint on the satellite imagery, roof color and other parameters. Of course there are still buildings that will look way out of place, that's why we need more regional POI products like GB Central to place those special buildings and structures that no AI could autogenerate, and for the largest and most important cities the Cityscape sceneries. This IMHO is far superior to PG. Good example for this is Seattle PG compared to Drzerwiecki Designs Seattle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

nice feedback there, thanks for the comments, interesting to see different peoples views on this.....I guess also if you are flying somewhere that you know then with it off you would notice more but if there is a good POI interest pack added then not so much....

• Upvote 1