An unforgettable day in the outback (part 2)

Stillwater

We continue the flight from my last post ...

... with a BBQ lunch at Yulara campground, unfortunately you cannot see the smoke from the white roof below.

ECluTSf.jpg

Heading east we follow the (only) road and pass Curtin Springs.

pw1GA5K.jpg

A roadhouse to be recommended, and why won´t anybody be stopping here - with cold drinks, hot air and a good sense of humour?

BskMTtE.jpg

North of Lasseter Highway is a big salt pan...

jgFgU6Z.jpg

1AN5C5c.jpg

... to the south you can see the 3rd big rock in the area: Fooluru. Aka Mt. Conner, aka Artila.

rlOHWeb.jpg

Navigation is easy here: We took the first crossroad to the north, onto Luritja Road. 

lFkRnv6.jpg

A while later Giles Road splits off to the east. It does not only look different in the sim...

ZoRuzVJ.jpg

... it also requires a bit different driving style, if you want to use it as a shortcut to Henbury Craters and Alice Springs.

Dcj1Yqf.jpg

But we headed north along the George Gill Ranges...

ZilqQkj.jpg

UcFCvuy.jpg

... until it was time to look for Kings Creek Station airstrip.

jsCLLWG.jpg

There it is, together with a notorious tree.

Tvho3nP.jpg

And a fine campground just next to the runway.

FzfJtHa.jpg

Indeed.

T9busZK.jpg

35 minutes ago, lifejogger said:

Another great tour Gerold!!!!!!!  Super shots and photographs.  In the last shot, are those places to sleep or a lot of outhouses.

Thanks for your comment, John! The picture shows the (for me comfortable) two-person tents. And, as per your interest, here is the outhouse at this campground:

EaaCMKp.jpg

Wow!  Very interesting set and, as you said in your last Part 1 tour, the tourist infrastructure is vastly improved since 1985 - back then bitumen only on the Uluru Road from the Stuart Highway, a caravan park/camping ground and Hotel at Uluru and nothing else!

10 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great post Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

19 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Wow!  Very interesting set and, as you said in your last Part 1 tour, the tourist infrastructure is vastly improved since 1985 - back then bitumen only on the Uluru Road from the Stuart Highway, a caravan park/camping ground and Hotel at Uluru and nothing else!

Thanks TT. A fascinating area today, and it must have been so even more 35 years ago.

Or 350 years ago.

Or 3500 years ago. Just the same. Imagine that...

4 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Very exciting trip to follow! I'm sure you ended the day with sand in your shoes... and other places! :D

Sand in the shoes is correct. A spider in the kitchen and a snake next to my tent, but all very shy.

And an unforgettable view of the Milky Way.

Archived