Grass on Runway

Jack

On 2/16/2021 at 9:18 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi Jack

Please check your scenery library insertion point in Orbx Central as per the below image.

OC Insertion Points.PNG

Hi Doug, 

I have attached the screenshot of what I'm seeing but I'm not sure what to do next as in what order.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 17.18.06.png

Hi Jack

Please post a copy of your “scenery.cfg” file and the “add-ons.cfg” and the “scenery_add-ons.xml” file found at C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5.

Please note: Do not open the files and copy and paste the contents, just attach the files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Jack

I purchased Orbx Newcastle only yesterday and suffered the exact same problem as you are having reference the grass on the runway. My P3D mesh resolution setting was set at 19m for some reason. As soon as I set it to 5m the grass on the runway disappeared and everything is now running normally.

Cheers

Stevie.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, stevie3911 said:

Hi Jack

I purchased Orbx Newcastle only yesterday and suffered the exact same problem as you are having reference the grass on the runway. My P3D mesh resolution setting was set at 19m for some reason. As soon as I set it to 5m the grass on the runway disappeared and everything is now running normally.

Cheers

Stevie.

Just to confirm.

I just bought Orbx Newcastle and had the same issue, but only with internal views from the cockpit. Exterior views were fine.

Anyway, having Googled and found this thread, my mesh was also at 19m and the issue is also resolved for me with a mesh of 5m.

Until it becomes possible to buy better GPUs I guess it's a case finding the correct balance in settings for something your PC is able to run smoothly, hence why my mesh setting was low.

Is this airport from Orbx themselves, or a third party developer?

I would like to open a support ticket, as whilst there is a workaround of reducing the size of mesh resolution, I then suffer frequent CTDs as my GPU is not capable of increasing my graphics settings higher than they currently are.

I don't think a complete solution on the forum is possible, as several people have already pointed out the problem with that scenery, but I have attached a photo showing the problem, plus my graphics settings and my scenery library in case an answer can be found here without opening a support ticket. The few items that cannot be seen at the top of my scenery library are add on airports.

Thanks.

IMG_5518.jpg

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

Hi Calum, I'm not the developer of this airport, but since Orbx first started creating airports for Fsx and P3d, 5m mesh setting has always been the one scenery 'rule' we have for correct display of the scenery, all developers worked towards this one standard so that all scenery displayed as intended.

I never personally noticed any performance issues with using 5m, but of course each users PC is different, and each user has different priorities visually.

Looking through your settings one thing stands out to me and it's the 'dynamic 3d autogen vegetation' option, this has always been a heavy hitting scenery element that (in my opinion) doesn't look very good as it produces very bright looking trees that visually clash with most orbx scenery, I highly recommend unselecting this (you will need to restart the sim for it to take effect), and setting 5m terrain mesh, and see how you go, hope it helps

Cheers, Tim

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 8:19 PM, Calum WE said:

Until it becomes possible to buy better GPU

Hi Calum

I do not know which Graphics card you have, but mine is a RTX 2070 Super with 8GB ram, it is not a high card, but here are the settings i achieve comfortably.

I do not see grass on the runway. Try my settings.

P3Dv5 Graphics settings.jpg

EGNT rwy07.jpg

Thanks Smudger,

My GPU is a GEFORCE GTX 1660 super with 6GB.

I think my issue is possibly that I have a 43 inch monitor with a high resolution. Also I like Enhanced Atmospherics which I think puts a fair load on the GPU.

I also have another add on airport that I dont see taxi lines at the gate unless I increase scenery complexity, and I have tried playing around with settings quite a few times increasing the mesh resolution and scenery complexity, and reducing other things to try to balance that, so that these 2 add on airports work properly. I then always suffer from a lot of CTDs as the flight is loading, or if I have left a flight to change settings and the flight tries to reload.

I have attached my display settings. Perhaps there would be milage in reducing my resolution, then increasing mesh resolution and scenery complexity. My sim is quite stable just now though, and I absolutely hate it when it isn't, and frequent CTDs are happening.

IMG_5521.jpg

Edited by Calum WE

Calum

Here are my Display settings, my resolution is a lot lower than yours, but the other settings are higher.

I have Enhanced Atmospherics switched off, I am not keen on the misty look, but Enable HDR and Auto Exposure in Lighting turned on.

P3Dv5 Display settings.jpg

I had a play about with my settings again, and as soon as I used a PMDG Boeing I had CTDs again when changing settings or location. 

I think I will just have to accept settings where my sim is at it's most stable until better GPUs are available.

I just noticed Tim's post above though, so I will try his suggestions before giving up.

25 minutes ago, Smudger said:

All PMDG aircraft are hungry on resources, have you tried the same scenario with a default aircraft ?

Yes. With the Majestic Dash 8 it was fine cranking up the settings, but 90% of the time I use PMDG Boeings and FSL A320, so I need to have settings reliable for them.

1 hour ago, Calum WE said:

I need to have settings reliable for them.

Then I am at a loss, your answer would appear to be saving for a larger Graphics card, I do not know whether mine would be sufficient for PMDG aircraft :(

6 minutes ago, Smudger said:

Then I am at a loss, your answer would appear to be saving for a larger Graphics card, I do not know whether mine would be sufficient for PMDG aircraft :(

My graphics card runs the PMDG and FSL aircraft quite stable at the settings I posted.

I will buy a good card when available. but they are impossible to get just now.

On 6/2/2021 at 1:32 PM, Tim Harris said:

Hi Calum, I'm not the developer of this airport, but since Orbx first started creating airports for Fsx and P3d, 5m mesh setting has always been the one scenery 'rule' we have for correct display of the scenery, all developers worked towards this one standard so that all scenery displayed as intended.

I never personally noticed any performance issues with using 5m, but of course each users PC is different, and each user has different priorities visually.

Looking through your settings one thing stands out to me and it's the 'dynamic 3d autogen vegetation' option, this has always been a heavy hitting scenery element that (in my opinion) doesn't look very good as it produces very bright looking trees that visually clash with most Orbx scenery, I highly recommend unselecting this (you will need to restart the sim for it to take effect), and setting 5m terrain mesh, and see how you go, hope it helps

Cheers, Tim

Hi Tim,

May I ask if there are any other recommended settings for Orbx add on airports to work at their best?

I bought a lot of scenery and airports in the recent sale, and most airports are looking good, but a few seem to have slightly wonky textures that move about on part of the runways as you move along them. Gold Coast and Canberra being two of them.

I'm wondering if there is another setting I should change as well as mesh resolution size?

Thanks

Calum

Hi Calum,

Higher autogen settings are best (this is specific to FSX/P3D based products) for good visuals, texture resolution at either 7 or 15cm so you can see the provided orthoimagery at its best

And this is for any game really, anistropic filtering at 16x, this ensures texture display crisp into the distance, for example on some runways depending on how they were  created

• Like 1

this is very interesting reading, I use PMDG and have most larger Orbx airports especially within Europe, looking at my settings the only thing that jumps out is anistropic filtering, I will try it at x16. This is both within P3D4 & 5, my GPU is an old 1070 8gig card but it seems to handle most things quite well, always ran at 5m & 7cm also with no issues, biggest slowdown for me is weather....

On 6/8/2021 at 7:42 AM, wain71 said:

this is very interesting reading, I use PMDG and have most larger Orbx airports especially within Europe, looking at my settings the only thing that jumps out is anistropic filtering, I will try it at x16. This is both within P3D4 & 5, my GPU is an old 1070 8gig card but it seems to handle most things quite well, always ran at 5m & 7cm also with no issues, biggest slowdown for me is weather....

My settings are limited compared to what I would like with my 6GB GPU. I wouldn't be without Active Sky though.

3 hours ago, Calum WE said:

My settings are limited compared to what I would like with my 6GB GPU. I wouldn't be without Active Sky though.

yeah I agree with Activesky, certainly makes a difference...