KBUR incorrect runway for wind?

Just bought KBUR on the sale and trying it out.  Having a big problem.  No matter what direction wind is (using in Sim weather engine not 3rd party like REX) the only runway the default ATC is giving is 33.  This is a problem since wind is like 167 at 12.  Tried setting a weather preset which put it at 257 and same thing.

Well I'll have to do some more testing then because the in game ATC was only giving me rwy 33 when the wind was coming the complete opposite direction (according to ATIS in the sim at least and on the map planning screen).  I'm pretty sure the planning screen actually wanted rwy 18 as well, but when I got in the sim ATC was insisting on 33.

8 hours ago, flyinion said:

Well I'll have to do some more testing then because the in game ATC was only giving me rwy 33 when the wind was coming the complete opposite direction (according to ATIS in the sim at least and on the map planning screen).  I'm pretty sure the planning screen actually wanted rwy 18 as well, but when I got in the sim ATC was insisting on 33.

Does this happen on deparure and/or arrival, IFR and VFR? 

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

Does this happen on deparure and/or arrival, IFR and VFR? 

I'll have to check an arrival.  For the original incident I was departing for an IFR flight from KBUR to KSMF using the A32NX project.

Ok something is very very wrong with this airport.  I tried again in the CJ4, a couple of scenarios.  First, mild (10-15kts) wind from the East (due East) and it still wanted Rwy 33 according to in game ATIS and ATC.  Then I set to the Storm preset, deleted the preset wind layer and added my own which was supposed to be winds from the West at around 20kts with 25kt gusts.  It actually ended up being 257 @ 51kts according to the sim but that's fine.  The ATIS finally gave different instructions.  RWY 15!!! and said conditions were visual even though there was heavy rain and cloud cover.  Uhhhhhh what?

I should note that these tests are for starting at the gate cold and dark and no flightplan entered in the planning screen.  I then fired up the DA40NG and started a VFR flight in the air (KBUR as destination and an "in air" point as the starting point) with winds coming from the East at 10 and ATC sent me to RWY 15 for landing.  If I repeat that with IFR and having chosen RWY 8 ILS in the menu that does work. Finally I tried the CJ4 IFR from KBUR to KSMF again with the same storm and wind preset as the previous time just now with a flightplan set up.  ATIS and ATC repeated the same ridiculousness with RWY 33.  So it seems you can do an IFR flight into the airport, but if you're trying to depart, ATC/ATIS in sim is completely borked.  

I have tried things like deleting the rolling cache file and content.xml and no  change.  Starting to regret this purchase since I already had KSBA which is nearby and has worked fine except a lack of taxi ribbon on taxi out.

One final test, the 50 kt wind from the west storm scenario in the 787 this time so it's a default aircraft but still has an MCDU, but starting on the runway.  Ummm, I chose rwy 26 in the flightplanner, it loaded in on RWY 33!! Uh yeah ok.  Starting on the rwy isn't realistic anyway and even worse was  the MCDU still had RWY 26 and a RWY 26 SID in it for departure

This keeps getting weirder.  Shut off and deleted rolling cache again, exited out, deleted content.xml again.  Deleted all Orbx product installed.  Deleted the external library folder.  Reinstalled just KBUR and directly into my community folder this time.  First time I loaded in with custom wind from 259 @ 20ish I still was told rwy33.  Ended that flight, reset to real world live weather.  Now it's coming from 107 @ 7 and ATC wants to use rwy 26 which is 180 degrees the wrong way.

@Matteo Veneziani Matteo has replied regarding having no control over ATC. Would you try also posting your issue on the MSFS website forum where you may get additional information or ideas as to the cause of the issue you are experiencing. This is not abrogating Orbx involvement in the issue just a suggestion as Matteo is indicating it is an ATC issue over which he has no control. 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com

19 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

@Matteo Veneziani Matteo has replied regarding having no control over ATC. Would you try also posting your issue on the MSFS website forum where you may get additional information or ideas as to the cause of the issue you are experiencing. This is not abrogating Orbx involvement in the issue just a suggestion as Matteo is indicating it is an ATC issue over which he has no control. 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com

I don't see how that's going to help. Just in case the US update caused an issue (haven't been to KBUR since the US update until buying the addon) I just tried pulling KBUR out of the community folder and the default airport is behaving as expected for ATIS/ATC as far as wind direction vs rwy in use.  So there must be some issue with the addon and how it interacts with the sim.  If the airport works correctly without the addon and fails with it, where else can the problem be at?

Just to be absolutely sure, I removed everything from the community folder except putting KBUR back into it.  Delete content.xml and rolling cache, and tested again and the incorrect behavior is back.  There's either something not correct in the addon, or Asobo changed something in the SDK and the addon needs an update, but that shouldn't be an end user's job to track down.

The dev informs me that it is a bug in the sim when using a custom runway and that there is nothing that can be done at present.

That is why you have it working with the default airport but not the Orbx addon version

Something similar was happening with ILS that when you use a custom runway the ILS didn't work. This thing has now been fixed by Asobo.

Hi, yes probably this is a bug of the sim, i have checked again and all it was fine. I am quite limited in the scenery editor, i can just add runways and setted up the parameters but there is nothing that i can set about the atc. As Jon already said above there was a similar problem with ILS that when you were adding a custom runway the ILS was not working correctly ( now this thing has been fixed ). 

What i can do its to ask to asobo if they can take a look to this issue.

Regards

Thank you guys very much for the info I appreciate it. Sounds like we’ll have to wait on asobo. Hopefully they fix it quick. That seems like it could affect a lot of users. Not all of us are ready to use vatsim/etc. for now guess I’ll just take off myself and get clearance in the air I guess from the sim. 

@flyinion

This is probably not causing your issues but I got the impression that you have been only deleting your rolling cash and not have it completely disabled. I would highly recommend to generally uncheck "Rolling Cash". It is not needed by most of us and seems only causing troubles.

Edit: but before unchecking it you of course have to delete its content for one last time. 

9 hours ago, wolfko said:

@flyinion

This is probably not causing your issues but I got the impression that you have been only deleting your rolling cash and not have it completely disabled. I would highly recommend to generally uncheck "Rolling Cash". It is not needed by most of us and seems only causing troubles.

Edit: but before unchecking it you of course have to delete its content for one last time. 

Yeah I've been thinking of turning it off, though I've seen arguments both ways so not really sure.  I have plenty of download bandwidth for sure.  During my testing though I don't think it was an issue.  I was deleting the cache which turns it off, then turning it back on which recreates a blank cache then loading directly into KBUR so there was no other data in the cache yet at all when testing.

Hello,

I don't have a particularly strong internet connection and have never used a rolling cache,

with no ill effects at all.

On the other hand, we have answered no end of support requests that resulted from the

use of a rolling cache, so the anecdotal evidence is that there is no benefit and much to lose.

So after doing some flying recently at other default airports (including premium deluxe ones like YSSY) and a little more forum searching, seems this affects more than just addon airports and might actually be a sim issue in general maybe introduced in a recent patch, I haven't had as much time to play since WoW Shadowlands released in November so maybe I missed when it started.  I was flying in and out of a couple airports in Australia all default and whether I used real weather or even REX I was getting really odd active runways in some cases.  Like Sydney YSSY had strong winds (20kts according to ATIS) coming out of the south around 160 but aircraft were being forced to use the 34L/R rwys for example.  After that I went poking around deeper and did in fact find some forum posts talking about ATC giving incorrect runways for the winds.

Archived