Buying new AMD parts on 5th November Ryzen 9 5900X Twelve Core 4.8GHz, motherboard and ram.

B12

Please check out comparability of parts if anyone knows, feel free to give advice on better parts if you know, its been a long time since I've used AMD, on Intel here for 3 PC's and a laptop.

CPU : Ryzen 9 5900X Twelve Core 4.8GHz, LINK :  https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-ryzen-9-5900x-twelve-core-4.8ghz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3ca-am.html

Motherboard RAM : MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard, LINK : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi-amd-am4-ddr4-x570-atx-motherboard-mb-351-ms.html

RAM : Team Group Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit, LINK : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team-group-8pack-edition-32gb-2x16gb-ddr4-pc4-28800c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-002-8p.html

COOLER : Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H150i PRO XT RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 360mm (CW-9060045-WW), LINK : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-hydro-series-icue-h150i-pro-xt-rgb-performance-liquid-cooler-360mm-cw-9060045-ww-hs-03z-cs.html

I do have room in my case for the cooler, am OK PSU wise, Super Flower 1000 WATT, SSD's ETC, plan to buy a new Nvidia RTX 3xxx series when stock is available again, have a Titan X 12 GB until then.

IMPORTANT: All appropriate AMD motherboards are apparently going to need a BIOS flash for this new gen of CPU with a bang up to date BIOS being released on Nov 5th for their release, but since I dont have any AMD CPU's (or know anyone who does) I may have a problem flashing the motherboard CPU'less ? ... have heard some boards these days can be flashed without a CPU plugged in, I wonder if the motherboard in link is capable of this? cant seem to find any info regarding that.

Appreciate any advice or help regarding this upgrade.

3 hours ago, B12 said:

Please check out comparability of parts if anyone knows, feel free to give advice on better parts if you know, its been a long time since I've used AMD, on Intel here for 3 PC's and a laptop.

Motherboard RAM : MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard, LINK : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi-amd-am4-ddr4-x570-atx-motherboard-mb-351-ms.html

IMPORTANT: All appropriate AMD motherboards are apparently going to need a BIOS flash for this new gen of CPU with a bang up to date BIOS being released on Nov 5th for their release, but since I dont have any AMD CPU's (or know anyone who does) I may have a problem flashing the motherboard CPU'less ? ... have heard some boards these days can be flashed without a CPU plugged in, I wonder if the motherboard in link is capable of this? cant seem to find any info regarding that.

Appreciate any advice or help regarding this upgrade.

Yes it is possible to flash BIOS without CPU page 32 of user manual explains how to do that. From my knowledge MSI X570 Unify is more popular option for max performance @ reasonable cost. Ram wise, it’s better to wait for reviews, who knows maybe there is even more performance to gain with Infinity Fabric OC, zen 2 can go IF@3800MHz maybe zen 3 can 4000MHz, then having ram capable of 4000MHz could be worth considering. I have G Skill kit with Samsung B-die OC’ed from 3600 to 3800 just to run IF @ 3800MHz.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PiotrMKG said:

Yes it is possible to flash BIOS without CPU page 32 of user manual explains how to do that. From my knowledge MSI X570 Unify is more popular option for max performance @ reasonable cost. Ram wise, it’s better to wait for reviews, who knows maybe there is even more performance to gain with Infinity Fabric OC, zen 2 can go IF@3800MHz maybe zen 3 can 4000MHz, then having ram capable of 4000MHz could be worth considering. I have G Skill kit with Samsung B-die OC’ed from 3600 to 3800 just to run IF @ 3800MHz.

Hi, did answer but forgot to log in, so my detailed answer is now lost in the ether :) here goes again.

Thanks for feedback and advice, have had a look at the MSI X570 Unify, looks like it only has 4 x SATA ports and is a fair bit more expensive than the MSI X570 Tomahawk in my link? I'm going to need the Tomahawks 6 x SATA ports and use of one M.2 onboard port for my drives as I have just now on my current Intel board. wonder what other benefits a Unify board might have over the popular Tomahawk board, don't intend to overclock the CPU, maybe a little, hear the Tomahawks VRM's are good quality and that is quite important to me, swinging towards ordering the MSI X570 Tomahawk on Monday .... unless anyone can persuade me of anything better before then? :)

Awesome news I can flash the BIOS CPU'less, can try this once board arrives and this should give me an indication if the board is DOA or not as sometimes unfortunately happens .. unlikely I know.

CPU Cooler in my post is fine, Yes?

Memory, thanks again, am never too sure of memory, am much more confident with my CPU GPU knowledge, memory is my grey area ... OcUK have now said the memory in my link is fine for the new Ryzen CPU's, its 3600 MHZ stuff, actually have a very similar kit in my Intel board from those guys and it works fine with XMP profile, so and in the interests of buying everything from one retailer, thinking might go for that 2 module 32GB kit ... would like to go 64GB actually, so maybe 2 x kits of those, would the new Ryzen controller be capable of all 4 ram slots filled at the stock speed the kit in my link does?  OcUK dont seem to do 4000Mhz ram kits for 32 GB let alone 64 GB ... is faster than 3600Mhx ram really advantageous for FS2020, P3Dv5, DCS and high end games? ... I know 32 GB is fine for FS2020, 16 GB is below par IMHO, having 32GB was mandatory for getting on the FS Alpha and Beta I did, also have seen DCS with my add ons and maps in certain situations hit almost 32 GB, hence why I am thinking 64GB this time ... thoughts on all this memory stuff needed please :)

EDIT, looking at this potential 2 x 32 GB = 64 GB memory kit for my build, any thoughts, pro's and con's? 
https://eu.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k32g36c16u4b Would rather not fill all 4 memory slots if possible, but seems to me this 2 x module kit memory performance is not on par with the 2 x 16 GB 32 GB kit mentioned in my link??

For what its worth, don't intend to over-clock the CPU, perhaps a little to see the magic 5GHz again, not so important for the tiny percent improvement I'd get ...  can let overclocking slide this time I think, my days of stressing things are nearing an end, just want plug and play and performance too.

Thanks for your advice so far, much appreciated ... just need to be sure of memory now as per my needs.

Any advice and links for my memory dilemma for this build, welcome from anyone please.

Edited by B12
adding more info

@B12 always check in chosen memory kit is on QVL list of this motherboard. I wouldn't expect to hit 5GHz on AMD, that's not the way this CPU work, any OC is aimed at hitting highest sustainable MHz on all cores. 4,8GHz on all cores won't be possible. Cooling wise, if You can afford and have space You could use this cooler in Push/pull configuration, depending on radiator and fan speed there is up to 30% more cooling performance.

• Like 1

Thanks PiotrMKG

For your advise, you have helped a lot, am a really impetuous person, but also sometimes I have money to spend that might not be there in future or far reaching future, as a single guy I know I can afford this and more right now in my budget, parts are in stock at OcUK at good prices so I'm buying :)

Heard more motherboards and such will be coming soon for these new CPU's, its one thing waiting for a CPU but another waiting for motherboards and ram stock too ... been in that situation before Intel wise.

It will be a wait for the new AMD CPU's, pretty much want the Ryzen 5900X, but if I can stretch to it for Ryzen 5960X for 50% more maybe?, spent £1000 on Intel CPU's before, we'll see!

My Paid for OcUk parts so far for new AMD FS build ... I'm excited, yeah.

£174.99 x 1 - MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard
£182.49 x 1 - Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
£133.29 x 1 - Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H150i PRO XT RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 360mm (CW-9060045-WW)
£5.41 x 1 - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

Sub-Total: 496.18
Shipping: 8.75
VAT: 100.99
Total: 605.92

Edited by B12

I still need to get that elusive 5900X CPU on Nov 5th or perhaps even the 5950X, will be doing research on buying tactics without going Bot, 5900X is more than enough I'm sure for Flight Sim and High end gaming.

Looking out for reviews though, exciting times, been on Intel for years for performance, its going to be fun trying AMD on a mature platform again with FS ... I dont do Tribal, Intel and AMD stuff, have swapped positions in past, competition is good, right?

If anyone likes, will try document what it cost and end achievement from going from an Intel I7 8700K delidded @ 5GHz 32GB rig with Titan X to this new AMD platform, can post post pics too as it all goes together.

My current I7 8700K delidded @ 5GHz all core is still going strong, still would not bottleneck an RTX 3090 24GB I'm sure :)

But i like new tech and building a new PC for my FS style, its been years and its that time to do upgrade again for me :)

First parts are ordered and I'm super excited about it already.

• Like 1

From everything I’ve read, 3600mhz is still expected to be the RAM sweet spot for Zen 3. I’ve been running an MSI x570 mobo and it’s been rock solid so will be sticking with that but likely to upgrade the cpu for a new model but I may hold off and get one  of the new GPUs first and see how things go as I’m currently GPU bound with my RTX 2070 in MSFS 2020. 

22 hours ago, PiotrMKG said:

Haven’t used this stuff for quite some time, thermal grizzly kryonaut or even better kryonaut extreme is my choice for thermal paste.

Hi, Paste as well as the motherboard/ram and cooler are arriving today. I don't think these new CPU's get that hot? wont be de-lidding it like I did my I7 8700K for sure ... knew of a guy who used toothpaste on a low end CPU build a few years ago instead of regular thermal compound and it worked, his PC is still working that way AFAIK ... not something I would do though :)

Another question though, while I wait for the new CPU's to launch Nov 5th, bid for on Ebay a second hand AMD AM4 2600 CPU and won cheap at £100 delivered and its arriving today too, bought this to ensure everything works fine while I wait for hopefully a 5900X or 5950X ... I wonder if it would be OK to just go ahead and install Win 10 64 with the 2600 and when I get a 5900X/5950X pull the 2600 and drop in the new CPU without formatting? same socket of course, different architecture too though? I've done this before for GPU upgrades and even RAM upgrades, but not sure on this for my CPU upgrade on Nov 5th?

@B12 I’ve read that new AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.0.8.1 that supports new 5000 series CPUs isn’t best companion with 2000 series CPUs. U might encounter stability issues, whea errors etc. You can try run this setup, but after You install new 5900x I would do clean install of W10.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PiotrMKG said:

@B12 I’ve read that new AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.0.8.1 that supports new 5000 series CPUs isn’t best companion with 2000 series CPUs. U might encounter stability issues, whea errors etc. You can try run this setup, but after You install new 5900x I would do clean install of W10.

This shouldn’t be necessary to do a clean install with the new cpu. I would recommend however just leaving the mobo bios as is for now and only update to the latest just prior to installing the new cpu. 

Edited by Donka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Donka said:

This shouldn’t be necessary to do a clean install with the new cpu. I would recommend however just leaving the mobo bios as is for now and only update to the latest just prior to installing the new cpu. 

Motherboard/ram/cooler and 2600 CPU arrived in last hour, will do this and report back later tonight or tomorrow when I put the parts together.

Thanks all.

Bit of feed back so far with my new AMD system of MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard, Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit (OcUK's own brand ... but high spec with great timings)  Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H150i PRO XT RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 360mm (CW-9060045-WW) with the second hand Ryzen AM4 2600 I won on ebay to test the system with while I await the Nov 5th 5900 or 5950X CPU I intend to use.

Its all looking very good, very stable, very low temps with my temporary 2600 CPU with this cooler as you would expect, but even with a 5900 or 5950X am sure it will be fine, there is room to ramp up the iCue profiles for better cooling, have went as advised, using boards bios for now and when I can secure one of the new 5900/5950X CPU's and when its delivered, will go ahead and flash board bios for the new CPU architecture ... oh yeah PiotrMKG will buy your recommended thermal compound once the new AMD releases happen and when I can secure an order ... just hope its not another low stock RTX 30xx launch ... apparently not, but demand will still be high I'm sure.

Glad I bought a cheap AM4 compatible second hand AMD 2600 CPU though to fire up and test my new motherboard/ram/cooler on a second rig to make sure my current parts were fine and not DOA as sometimes happens.

Its going to be at least 3 weeks before I can buy a 5900/5950X on day one if I can get one launch day? Had to test this stuff out in preparation first, was good to see the different idiosyncratic Intel and AMD differences too, there are different tricks and software for each platform, been using Intel 10 years + exclusively, its fun to try AMD again.

Thanks for all help so far in this new project.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H150i PRO XT RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 360mm (CW-9060045-WW) for anyone thinking of buying one, its a very good cooler IMHO, does the job more than fine on the 2600 and will perform well on the 5900/5950X when I get one too I'm sure ... but because its RGB ... Corsair say it needs ... and as well as the usual pump 3 pin header and SATA power plug ... it needs a motherboard USB header as well ... crazy and was gutted, need all the USB ports I can get for my FS peripherals, after a bit of research (because the coolers manual is very basic) found its mostly there for the RGB bling I'm not fussed about, indeed you can use up a motherboard USB header to set up a pump profile, speed/colour etc and then for next power up remove that cable and all is good and profile stays, thus freeing up the motherboard USB header for more important stuff.

12 x Saitek FIP LCD gauges, 5 Saitek panels, 2 sticks, 1 yoke, 1 throttle, (buying soon the Honeycomb throttle unit) rudder pedals and more, and even with powered USB hubs, need all the free USB ports I can get for this Flight Sim hobby:)

with research found too that a not included USB to mini USB cable works fine, you just route it out of the case to a free USB port, this is what I'm doing now and it works just as well and does not grab an important motherboard USB header that is better used giving me 4x USB ports on back of PC for my peripherals. Can do control of the pump and colours this way just as well, honestly don't like the Disco RGB bling stuff, but one aspect that is useful for this cooler is the temp colour profile that goes from green for cool to red for overheat range that I hope I never see. I like that and that's the profile I use.

Slight update to my AMD Ryzen build while we eagerly await the new CPU launch, keep going back to test my new AMD MSI X570 Tomahawk build with the used 2600 CPU in it to test other peripherals and suchlike, added an extra PCI-E SATA card, what the board gives me should be enough, but dropping from three home PC's to two once this build is finished and will have to look at a good quality separate NAS after this, just now its multiple hard drives on three PC's on my home network and back ups are a headache just now ... this is for near future thoughts, but advice on that is welcome now too :)

Looking fwd to the day and hopefully next week or so I can plug in a Ryzen 5900X or 5950X CPU and really get going, then of course wait for the Nvidia graphic stock situation to settle, heard too that a rumour of the rumour of Nvidia 3080Ti 20 GB ram cards is just that, a rumour, its a sad day when a rumour of a rumour cancels a rumour, but there you go :)

It was highly unlikely to be honest, Nvidia are struggling to get current cards to dealers, they aint gonna be producing another side line card anytime soon, not this year, perhaps not next year either? Where does this leave me and several others building just now a new FS PC? Well, am on a Titan X 12GB ... and its OK at 4K, its on its limits though for a 3 or 4 year old card though, half thought about just going for a 2080 Ti just now for a tiny improvement, but they are still crazy expensive, perhaps in New Year 2021 Nvidia will have stock of cards by then for the RTX 30xx series I really want to make this new build of mine the best one yet.

Perhaps I should join the OcUK or others queue for the RTX 3090 24GB now ... because for my 4K needs I just cant see the RTX 3080 8GB being enough for my three year future proof schedule, this is such a crazy ill thought out launch from Nvidia, stock level launch aside, we have a monster at the top end, and the 3080 at the mediocre (for a brand new hyped launch) and its fine for most games I'm sure, but when you add 4K and with DX12 coming for FS2020 too ... they should have known about this :) I'm aiming for a new RTX 3090 24 GB card when I can get one.

Anyway, added another 32 GB ram kit of same exact flavour I bought from OcUK last week to my AMD MSI Tomahawk X570 motherboard today, this is filling all four ram slots now of course and its working fine on the temp 2600 CPU, so up to an impressive 64 GB of very good quality OcUK 8 pack approved ram at 3600Mhz that is apparently good overclocking ram for the new Ryzen CPU's, timing are
CAS 16-16-16-38, cant be fine tuning this until I get my desired new Ryzen CPU, but thinking ahead.

Fun times.

I’m going to be keeping a very close eye on the AMD GPU keynote this week. I think there is a very real chance I could be switching to AMD for graphics this year depending on price and availability. I was all set for the RTX3080 but the 10gb limit gave me doubts and of course you can’t buy one just now anywhere. 

• Thanks 1

What CPU board ETC are you using Donka?

I wrote RTX 3080 was 8GB, was wrong it is 10GB as you say, but still barely enough for 4K and newer spec VR coming up, not to mention FS2020 DX12 upgrade that is going to need more vram too ... I'm forced to going for Nvidia's RTX 3090 24GB beast almost :)  I can afford it, just about, but getting a hold of one is a different matter, heh.

EGPH is Edinburgh I think, am near
EGPE Inverness, we should have a fly in sometime :)

Currently running a MSI x570 mobo with Ryzen 3600, RTX 2070 & 32gb 3600mhz cl16 ram and 2 NVME drives. I’m usually cpu bound in X-Plane but definitely gpu bound in MSFS. I’m running on a 3440x1440 ultra wide so not at full 4K. 

Planning on upgrading both cpu and gpu - was tempted to go top for both but being Scottish, I like to get value for money but not sure the big jump in price is worth the minimum gain. I’ll actually go for a new gpu first then see how well it plays with my current Ryzen but the clock and ipc gains on zen 3 are too tempting for me to resist.

Yup, I’m down in Bathgate near Edinburgh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Added another cool part to this build, its an OS drive only, to my MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (AMD AM4) build, 6 x SSD's SATA ports, but for one of the two boards M.2 slots as an OS only 250 GB drive

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-980-pro-250gb-m.2-2280-pci-e-4.0-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-249-sa.html

This is a PCIE4 NVME Drive, most are PCIE3, but since I am moving fwd to AMD X570 with PCIE 4 capability, surely it would be right to choose an OS drive that has that at this build point?

Its a moot point indeed though, have bought it, reviews are very good blitzkrieg writes and reads, only need it for Windows 10 64 Pro OS, have plentiful SATA SSD's for my games and sims.

This is fun

Just 2 days or so away from November the 5th 5PM when AMD launch the couple of CPU's I am looking for, Ryzen 5900X or 5950X, gonna try hard.

Good luck with the shopping, I’m sure you’ll be successful. What shops are you keeping an eye on? I’m still undecided on doing the cpu first. In MSFS2020 I’m always gpu bound but in XP11 I was sometimes cpu bound but I’m getting better performance with the switch to Vulkan rendering. I might just upgrade the gpu first then see how both sims are looking. 

Hi Donka

Lucky enough here to have fairly good bandwidth in NE Scotland, and it was crazy how popular UK sites like OcUK and Scan were overwhelmed for the 30xx series launch, even Nvidia UK own site based in Ireland was swamped in micro seconds and that was it, all sites locked down for hours, it was like a DOS (Denial Of Service) attack in a positive way, but it denied genuine guys the ability to buy something on day one and allowed for griffters selling tenfold on Ebay, some who had managed to buy several from OcUK and similar places.

I tried for an RTX 3090 24GB very hard, now I don't think I need or even want one seeing what the new AMD GPU's can do.

Grifting is a legal practise I suppose.

Donka, will be looking at Scan and OCUK for Thursdays CPU's, both company's have tightened up web security a good bit since the last NV GPU launch, but I hope and suspect the day one AMD Ryzen 5000 series launch will see more units available and up for grabs to legit customers than Nvidia's disastrous GPU launch ever was :)

Yes, two of the sites I'll be monitoring. Also keep an eye on CCLOnline - they had stock of the RTX3070 available on launch day for a period so must be doing something to keep the bots at bay and they also let you register for stock notification on their new products should they appear earlier than expected.

• Upvote 1

Well I got a 5950X from Scan, OcUK's site was lock-down as expected, payments been taken, confirmation email says pre-orders will be sent when stock arrives, so guess I'll have to wait for re-stock? £750 inc VAT + PnP, will give them a ring tomorrow for exact details, but hopefully I'll have one soon.

Reviews coming in now.

5900X vs I9 1090K in FS2020, AMD 5900X is beating Intel's 1090K handsomely, about same performance in other games he's testing.

5600X beats the 1090K in the Flight sim test !

Edited by B12

Where did you order from Donka out of interest? and have you had delivery notification yet?

My 5950X from Scan is stalled at payment taken and that happened at 14:10, next step should be order picked, then order sent, called Scan at 9AM this morning because reading elsewhere guys who had payment take later than me from them have either had despatch confirmed or its a pre-order ETA 20th Nov or 30th Nov, hour on hold and guy says I should get an email sometime today but its looking like a pre order, he cant tell for sure yet ?? :(

Hope its this month sometime, not very good at waiting :)

Hi, I ordered from Ebuyer. Due for delivery today - currently at local delivery office. I deliberated over ordering for half an hour and the other stores sold out but I’ve always had great service from Ebuyer. 
At least I know what time the GPUs will go on sale on the 18th which is my main purchase. 
Keep us posted on your progress. 

Cheers, Andy. 

Go for it, you know you want to :)

Still no word from Scan on ETA or my position, thinking now I should have went for my original plan of a 5900X or 5800X that were a bit more widely available, apparently not that many 5950X's were made available for sale in UK at least, any of this new gen of AMD CPU's are gonna be awesome though, let us know how you get on, what you upgraded from ETC please.

Enjoy.

What are you planning on using it for? Me personally I also have a Mac so I don’t use the pc for much other than flight simming hence why I’m happy with the 5600X. Currently running a Ryzen 3600 which is already good but I get cpu bound in X-Plane and a new gpu would be a good match for a faster processor.