Buying new AMD parts on 5th November Ryzen 9 5900X Twelve Core 4.8GHz, motherboard and ram.

B12

B12 - I'm going to experiment with undervolting the 5800X once the non beta bios drops for my motherboard. I'm seeing all cores hit 4850Mhz stock with my Noctua cooler but there is scope to potentially increase the all core clock limit by undervolting and even if there is no increase - power use and thermals should drop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B12 said:

Awesome ... Piotr, meant to ask, what PSU do you use? your RTX 3090 needs 3 x plugs

I guess thats Aftermarket PSU cables too, very neat,

You know what, might go proper water cooling for my CPU soon, the 5950X I own should be running a little cooler, its well within spec of course but current Corsair cooler, its a drain on software resources, it wants a USB plug, just for RGB bling, but more ... and its so not needed ,,, the OcUK non name 360 AIO cooler I use on my second older I7 8700K 5Ghz is fantastic, might swap them over if I can get it to fit my Ryzen CPU?

Heard some folk undervolt these new AMD CPU's too ... but thats silly IMHO, system here has been 100% reliable since day one and crushes everything I do with it at 4K, its wonderfully stable ... really dont want to mess with it to be honest my friend.

I use Corsair AX1500i, I made cables myself, they are 15AWG with original Molex connectors, sleeved with MDPC sleeves.

360 is a good option for 16core CPU, I guess every thing with RGB requires some bloatware installed to run. You will need check mounting, AMD has different dimensions than Intel. 

Undervolting and PBO was a thing with zen 2, on zen 3 most common OC is through PBO and CO (curve optimizer) 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 12:55 PM, Donka said:

B12 - I'm going to experiment with undervolting the 5800X once the non beta bios drops for my motherboard. I'm seeing all cores hit 4850Mhz stock with my Noctua cooler but there is scope to potentially increase the all core clock limit by undervolting and even if there is no increase - power use and thermals should drop.

Let us know how you get on please Donka.

On 1/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, PiotrMKG said:

I use Corsair AX1500i, I made cables myself, they are 15AWG with original Molex connectors, sleeved with MDPC sleeves.

360 is a good option for 16core CPU, I guess every thing with RGB requires some bloatware installed to run. You will need check mounting, AMD has different dimensions than Intel. 

Undervolting and PBO was a thing with zen 2, on zen 3 most common OC is through PBO and CO (curve optimizer) 

Thanks PiotrMKG, spent a good few hours looking at my Corsair AIO 360 setup and doing research yesterday and came out of it without changing any hardware or undervolting and a much cooler running Ryzen 5950X now and extremely pleased about that ... really do want to run this rig at stock everything for foreseeable future and glad now with your prompts to have looked at things again and temps are lower now for idle and at full ramp ... it just took a little more understanding of my Corsair AIO package and its capability's software wise, their manual for the cooler is so basic.

Was going to buy a better AOI cooler but one I have comes out tops in many reviews.

Love what you are doing for high end cooling and tweaking, please keep us updated.

Also worthy of note perhaps, Motherboard I use for my build and 5950 X got a new BIOS for my Asus Crosshair VIII Hero just the other day, hard to imagine it might have made a difference to my CPU temp, but it might have helped too with my other recent tweaks?

This new 3204 BIOS is just days old, and was applied with my other tweaks to lower my CPU idle temps ... whatever I've done seems to be working and it still bursts to an undocumented over 5.GHz when pushed.

Keep an eye on the new Ryzen Motherboard BIOS's lads, when they ... The new Ryzens were first introduced we were always told it might take time to mature with newer BIOS etc

14 hours ago, B12 said:

Was going to buy a better AOI cooler but one I have comes out tops in many reviews.

If You want better performance out of Your current AIO cooler, run it in Push/Pull configuration, it won't be much because it's slim radiator (thicker radiators benefit much more from running fans on both sides)

• Like 1

Did some playing around with undervolting the 5800X via curve optimiser in the bios tonight. Only did testing in MSFS2020, no real benchmarking as such, and dropped the voltage across all cores with a negative 30 offset. Not seen a massive difference if I am being honest - a little drop in power use according to HWMonitor of around 15W and perhaps running slightly cooler but it does vary be run. The biggest difference I can determine by monitoring inflight using MSI Afterburner is I'm staying on the max 4850MHz across all cores for far longer. Screenshot of Afterburner attached but hitting that frequency across all cores and 58oC seems solid performance air, cooled in MSFS2020. 

I used the following video as a guide but given he saw limited results with the 5950X, I wonder if the full 8 core CCXs are already running very close to optimised as opposed to the 5600X and 5900X.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 06_02_2021 22_24_32.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks PiotrMKG. So you are using the single core option and doing them separately? I’ll take a look tomorrow. I’m going to concentrate on the 3080 FE in the morning and go back to the 5800X later. What is the best way to determine the best cores? Monitor during a stress test?

9 hours ago, Donka said:

Thanks PiotrMKG. So you are using the single core option and doing them separately? I’ll take a look tomorrow. I’m going to concentrate on the 3080 FE in the morning and go back to the 5800X later. What is the best way to determine the best cores? Monitor during a stress test?

I use this program by ManniX-ITA from Overclock.net forums, it stresses just single core while running. You have to revert settings in BIOS to stock (at least those that refer to CPU OC), run the program, while monitoring CPU core clocks in HWinfo, after 5-6 passes (for each core) You will know which ones are best (highest clocking).

BoostTester.exe

Edited by PiotrMKG
  • Like 2

Yup, will keep an eye out for that one too.

In the meantime, I did some quick undervolting with the RTX 3080 FE last night and found a couple of stable settings getting me a reduction of 5˚C, 90 Watts and an increase of 2-3fps.

Thanks again for the Boosttester tool. Been playing this weekend and very helpful to have that when monitoring each core individually. Only tested a few scenarios so far but getting a better idea of what the cpu is capable of.

• 1 month later...

Hi Piotr, thanks for showing your your progress, was thinking about your upgrade the other day, still love my RTX3090 and Ryzen 5950X ETC Flight Sim build, but even with headphones on I can hear the fans ramp up when doing some heavy Flight Simulation., they do the job but it all sounds quite stressful ... TY for inviting me to Volanta too BTW.

Have decided, went this far with my recent build, want to go proper water cooling now, hopefully you can guide me along the way too my friend on this upgrade of an upgrade ... I like the look of your RTX card waterblock ... takes guts to peel off the stock air cooler on an expensive card and kiss the warranty good bye ... have heard some company's will allow it though, but perhaps only on factory return and inspection of damage?   Also we need to consider, even if we did break them and warranty allowed it, there wont be many replacements around for a while, but I don't mind doing that too, you'll know what you are doing Piotr and I feel I can do it too with your help maybe :)

I think its my Ryzen 5950X Corsair 360 AIO cooler Cant cope, or barely copes ... Temps are OK, but its the noise,. read some more reviews now and its far from the best AIO cooler for a Ryzen 5950X working at full steam, extreme fan Corsair profile needed with it.

Its high time in my life to try a proper and powerful water cooled CPU and GPU set up, not sure about going acrylic pipes and bending, flexible tubing will be fine for me, still not interested in RGB but did realise a project like this will need a bigger more roomier case for beefier pumps and more, bought this one in advance from Scan and arrived yesterday, over weekend will swap my parts into it, but this will be the basis of my proper water cooling upgrade ... hope you can help buddy.

Its a Coolermaster Cosmos C700P ... Its massive, did measure it up before ordering W/D/L and its fits under my desk. but when it arrived in its big box ... I thought, here I go into madness again :) This one will keep me going another few builds in the next 10 years or so, though ... justified it that way, heh.

Will be fitting castors to it too somehow, its very heavy even with no PC parts in it.

Beast of a case, but sheer quality.

FL9joGE.jpg

8NyoxpL.jpg

h9kDG5A.jpg

Edited by B12

• 1 year later...