Oh Well (Pt 2) - (and RIP Peter Green)

andy1252

Scene opens in blaze of light and sound. Orchestra sound like they're going to explode. We can hear a heartbeat pounding at 80Db. The screen comes in to focus and . . .

XWoYa98.jpg

uqnmUvc.jpg

bfhymPV.jpg

All the alarms are sounding. The passengers (a small select band of kamikaze war gamers) are singing a cheery song, and then, on the main screen -

YQ66GKW.jpg

(Fade to black, silence)

Six months later. Captain - "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are approaching the scene of the mysterious events of August 2020. At approximately 15.35 that day, a scheduled Boeing 787 Dreamliner was on it's way over the Thames at a perfectly reasonable 50 feet cruising altitude, when according to several witnesses there was a loud fizzling raspberry sound, and the aircraft simply vanished from the sky. There were unconfirmed reports that a strange pattern appeared briefly in the clouds, that was read by some as "Ctrl", "Alt" and "Del". And one witness claims to have heard eerie laughter wafting down from the sky (but this was later discredited after he failed a breathalyser test)"

Iy7uDpm.jpg

"Ladies and Gentlemen, if you'd now please tighten your tin-foil helmets and ensure you have a firm grip on your complimentary rabbit's feet, we will shorty be passing through the trans-dimensional gateway back in to the real world, where we will continue on to your original destination. We hope you've enjoyed (and survived) your journey so far. Thank you for flying Crackpot Airlines"

2GcX3iW.jpg

AMwkeIu.jpg

kripv68.jpg

SFRHB5f.jpg

5BQ7Hqr.jpg

UXgOPU7.jpg

I almost got the 787 through. I'd slowed the sim speed right down and after about the sixth attempt I was real close, but the combination of the systems apparently carrying on running in active pause mode, which meant that when I came out of pause after checking my positioning it always leapt in one direction or another, and the fact that slew mode (well, really, how else did you think I was going to get through there?) doesn't seem to be completely linear meant that I just couldn't do it in the end. Mind you, after all that pushing the A320 through was a doddle, no fancy tricks required.

Wonder if there's an Antonov available yet? <grin>

(And yes, RIP Peter Green. A man for whom a guitar wasn't an instrument, but an extension of his soul)

Lovely set of photographs Andy and the story paints a very nice visual in itself!  Did you try some "alum" on the wings of the 787 before going to the smaller plane? :rolleyes::P:lol:

My mother loved "Albatross" way back when I was still a youngster! :rolleyes:

Hahaha! Very good!

I'm with you on "Oh Well". I saw Peter Green a few times when he was with the original Fleetwood Mac (and also with John Mayall) ... there really was no-one then (and since) that had his touch. His gentle understated riffs seem to echo his personality. If you've never heard it before, check out his beautiful background solo on John Mayall's "First Time Alone".

Adam.

Archived