Part ! Soaring from WA56 to 1S2

Wakashi

A fairly short but difficult challenge flying a glider from Israel's Farm to Darrington depending on just the uplift on ridges with a 14 kt wind from the west and no thermals in between ridges!  Used a Cessna tow plane to 2500 feet, first turn point was at 2000 feet above the valley floor.  The flight took about 45 minutes due to hunt and find lift, lots of circling to get the height to get over some of the ridges and get to the finish line.  The first part covers the tow mostly and the second part will cover the landing (not much between).  Club bus, people and extra aircraft courtesy of the X-Winch add from the glider section of X-Plane!  The winch is a tough take off, so that is why I used the tow plane! :rolleyes:

Here we set, waiting on the tow plane to get into position! 

HCZjHHP.jpg

Hooked up and ready for launch! (no not lunch)! :P

EKmtk8V.jpg

Gonna get towed to the mountains ahead up to 2500 and release the cable!

f4v1isa.jpg

We are almost there, a couple more feet then we are on our own! :blink:

GK5tmIx.jpg

Cable released and we are soaring! 

4F2lQYT.jpg

Headed back to the first turn point between those two mountains on the left at 2000 ft, so we are gonna dive for a bit! B)

WA56 is some where down there to our right along the river (I think) :rolleyes:  (it is)

wjKSqom.jpg

We made it to the valley above 1S2, just topped out of the mountains and now going to try to get down to landing pattern quick!

qQdy6yd.jpg

Part 2 later today or tomorrow!  Stand by! :)  Oh! Thanks for looking!

1 hour ago, lifejogger said:

Super shots, looks like a fun flight!!!!!!!!  I tried flying glider in the sim once, it did not turn out very well.:)

Thanks for the comments John!  I tried several times finally somewhat got the hang of it, turns out to be quite the hoot and certainly something different! :lol:

John, if you have X-Plane here is a very informative link if you would like to try it again!  Several free gliders to chose from plus tasks to fly In Orbx area's!  :D

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/forum/482-gliding-in-x-plane/

Archived